Fat, sick and nearly dead

Started by The Iceman, September 13, 2011, 04:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

He should have been more accurate - it's mostly vegetable juice, and the high sugar veggie juices such as carrot juice etc are only used in very small amounts.

I'd use Kale as the base for all my juices - some beets, spinach, apples and carrots.

Correctly you need to stay away from elevated levels of blood sugars.

You don't get the pulp, or the fibre - and that is why the 60 day thing is a bit much - but for a 10 day cleanse - its 100% pure nutrition - something that cannot be said for burgers and chips out of McDonalds.

EDIT: Laoislad - it's not a diet and shouldnt be treated as such. It's simply taking all the nonsense and refined foods (even eaten with the best intentions) out of your system and replacing it with healthy nutrition. On a short time frame basis it really helps me (im all I can vouch for) feel great when Im done. Energy levels are through the roof by day 8 of a 10 day cleanse. It also helps to clean out and replenish your organs. Plus it does your digestive elimination systems no harm either.

laoislad

Quote from: Puckoon on September 13, 2011, 06:37:43 PM

EDIT: Laoislad - it's not a diet and shouldnt be treated as such. It's simply taking all the nonsense and refined foods (even eaten with the best intentions) out of your system and replacing it with healthy nutrition. On a short time frame basis it really helps me (im all I can vouch for) feel great when Im done. Energy levels are through the roof by day 8 of a 10 day cleanse. It also helps to clean out and replenish your organs. Plus it does your digestive elimination systems no harm either.

Fair enough.
My method also cleans out some organs though.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

The Iceman

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on September 13, 2011, 06:30:50 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on September 13, 2011, 04:50:10 PM
From what I understand this is a result of our lifestyles changing and getting easier but our diets remaining the same. Our fathers and grandfathers probably ate as much as us but they did a days hard work in the fields or wherever, whereas most of us our sitting on our arses most of the time.

Not true, the diet for the vast majority of people in the western world has changed immeasurably over the last two or three generations, with refined foods amost totally supplanting the previously relatively natural diets.

I'd be very wary of any 'detox'/fast that promoted 'juice' alone in that, for example, an orange juice isn't much better than a coca cola for the body given the overwhelming amounts of easily absorbed sugar involved; the difference between an orange (or more) and orange juice being that the pulp of the fruit acts as a slow release mechanism for the constituent sugar, so the blood sugars aren't elevated to crazy levels in a very short space of time (with all the concomitant pressure that that places on the body's organs).

A mix of fruit and vegetable juice wouldn't be quite as taxing on the body, but it would still need fruit and vegetable pulp in order to reduce the load on the body sufficiently, i.e., a pure 'smoothie' wouldn't be any more demanding than the constituent fruits themselves.

Fear I should have specified what I meant. The typical Irish man would eat a cooked breakfast every or most mornings if you made it for him. generations ahead of us could have done this but burned it off in the fields or through hard work. I absolutely agree with you on the processed foods and refined foods.

Your digestive system actually goes into hibernation on a juice feast. if there is no pulp or bulk then it isn't under any pressure. I am normally a four times a day man and I still havent went today.......;)

I understand what people are saying about crash diets but this isnt a diet, my intent is not to lose weight but to reset the system, to alkalize and help me get started on a much more balanced diet.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Fear ón Srath Bán

Fair enough Iceman, good idea to de-acidify the body though, seriously, be careful not to go too far and end up with alkalosis (as opposed to acidosis)!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 13, 2011, 06:12:23 PM
Was never over weight but have stopped playing for the club (will continue with the beer belly team) and I have just started the DW gym for 6 months. I have cut out all white bread (I'm not a racist) and only eat 2 rounds of wholemeal bread a day.

Our dinners are slimming world type and I allow myself a small chocolate with a cup of tea. No beer/wine during the week and the chippy is a no go area!!

I was in Dublin for hurling weekend and stayed away from the fast food joints, had plenty of beer though ;)

I head to the gym and hit the running machine first then a circuit of weights followed by the bike for 15 minutes. After that into the pool for 8 lengths (only 20 meters) followed by the sauna and then hot tub!! Bliss

Usually takes about a hour and a half, but i head round about 8 at night so there is loads of machines available.

Don't know how long I'll stick at this, I've shifted 6 pounds in (I was 11 stone 8) 2 weeks without suffering.

That's some routine. Do you do that every night?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Have only started the gym last week managed to go 4 times. I head round after the kids are in bed. Doing fcuk all any ways.

Calf was tightening up there on last run, so I'll try out the rowing machine. Some set up all the same.  I think I'll settle down for going three times a week once the initial novelty goes. Might take up the circuit training (boot camp) they have twice a week.

But even if it's just for a swim, sauna and a jacuzzi the odd night, better that sitting watching footie and eating Jammy dodgers
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

cadence

i know someone who works in public health and it's a really interesting and worth while area to be into. they're well into trying to do something about the health inequalities in the location they work in. i'm no expert obviously, but what my friend says has rubbed off on me. generally speaking, poorer areas have higher healthcare provision needs than more well off areas. frozen food outlets like iceland and heron foods thrive in areas with high unemployment when people have to survive on a low income. these foods are high in saturated fats and when you take into consideration the high instances of depression that long-term unemployment can bring about, and the coping mechanisms some people resort to self-medicate themselves with, drink, fatty takeaway foods, the related illnesses just shoot up. go to well-to-do brighton and it's a different world from a poor area. they have shops solely devoted to pedacures and have the highest rates for breastfeeding in the country. and the people look so different. people look fit and athletic in brighton, whereas it's a differnet world in the poorer areas. some poorer areas have so few fresh fruit and veg shops that people living there had to travel a fair distance to get an apple http://www.webwell.org.uk/Eatwell-News/Eatwell-in-Sandwell-s-first-Shop-of-the-Month-winner.htm

anyway, even though you wouldn't have to travel that far for some fried chicken outlets around here, none, and i mean none, can hold a candle to the four lanterns, the mighty 4 lights with the curry cheese chip, big 4 wi' cheese, chicken boxes and strawberry milk. the food of the gods.

J70

I've had a few health issues of late due to an appalling diet and some weight gain in the last decade (and genetics). I'd already been eating properly for a couple of years nd lost all the weight and got all the blood stats back to normal before the problems surfaced, but the damage was done. Been trying a vegan/no oil diet for the past two months as according to one line of thought it could make a big difference to someone with my issue. Its not easy, especially when you're eating out, but I've been managing on a diet very strong on rice, legumes, vegetables, fruit, porridge, whole grain foods, almond milk, (even a bit of tofu) etc. and really don't miss meat and dairy at all. I've lost another stone too and generally feel great. I'm scientifically literate enough to realize it could all turn out to be a load of bollocks or that at least the benefits may be offset by other problems to some extent, but its so far, so good!

Minder

Quote from: cadence on September 13, 2011, 08:37:39 PM
i know someone who works in public health and it's a really interesting and worth while area to be into. they're well into trying to do something about the health inequalities in the location they work in. i'm no expert obviously, but what my friend says has rubbed off on me. generally speaking, poorer areas have higher healthcare provision needs than more well off areas. frozen food outlets like iceland and heron foods thrive in areas with high unemployment when people have to survive on a low income. these foods are high in saturated fats and when you take into consideration the high instances of depression that long-term unemployment can bring about, and the coping mechanisms some people resort to self-medicate themselves with, drink, fatty takeaway foods, the related illnesses just shoot up. go to well-to-do brighton and it's a different world from a poor area. they have shops solely devoted to pedacures and have the highest rates for breastfeeding in the country. and the people look so different. people look fit and athletic in brighton, whereas it's a differnet world in the poorer areas. some poorer areas have so few fresh fruit and veg shops that people living there had to travel a fair distance to get an apple http://www.webwell.org.uk/Eatwell-News/Eatwell-in-Sandwell-s-first-Shop-of-the-Month-winner.htm

anyway, even though you wouldn't have to travel that far for some fried chicken outlets around here, none, and i mean none, can hold a candle to the four lanterns, the mighty 4 lights with the curry cheese chip, big 4 wi' cheese, chicken boxes and strawberry milk. the food of the gods.

Would have to disagree with that. You can buy a banana or an apple for 20p. The people you describe in the high unemployment areas would probably have more takeaways in a week than a working person, they shop in Iceland because they would rather stick a  pizza in the oven than stand and make a dinner. Buying fruit and vegetables or a bag of spuds isn't the preserve of the middle class. People more often than not will eat the food they want to eat, be it healthy or unhealthy. A lot of it is pure laziness.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

Surely devout believers shouldn't give a f if they die youngish (early sixties..kids grown up...inheritance sets them up in their early adult years .....no burden on the state etc etc) happy days surely?

Not so straight forward for the rest of us  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Minder on September 13, 2011, 09:32:05 PM
Quote from: cadence on September 13, 2011, 08:37:39 PM

Would have to disagree with that. You can buy a banana or an apple for 20p. The people you describe in the high unemployment areas would probably have more takeaways in a week than a working person, they shop in Iceland because they would rather stick a  pizza in the oven than stand and make a dinner. Buying fruit and vegetables or a bag of spuds isn't the preserve of the middle class. People more often than not will eat the food they want to eat, be it healthy or unhealthy. A lot of it is pure laziness.
Healthier food is definitely more expensive. It's not so much the apples or bananas (although you would have some amount of biscuits/bars bought for the price you pay to have fruit for a week) I'd say it's more the meat portion of the dinner that the big differences could be seen. You might buy 4 "chicken" fillets in Iceland for a quid or two - or 4 fish cakes etc for the same, compare that on what you'd pay for healthier, non processed, fish/chicken etc. 

That said I don't really buy the unemployed, lower incomes are overweight just because of the cost, a lot of it would come down to laziness.   
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

lawnseed

i believe some of the huge computer US companies opened two factories one in india and one in china about 5 years ago. health experts have been trying to monitor the workers health since they have become exposed to our diet. 40% of the indian workers are showing signs of type 2 diabiets the chinese government prevented the survey from continuing when they saw how it was going.

fibre lads get plenty of fibre, i lost 1.5stone just by quitting white bread now the mere thoughts of it make me sick, also use sweetners instead of sugar, it'll get so you cant even taste sugar when you do take it. also reduce red meat try fish or chicken.
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on September 13, 2011, 06:19:10 PM
Has anyone used kettle bells before? Thinking of getting one or two as it seems to be a good workout, I can't be arsed with the hassle of the gym.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNu5ijerqMw

check this video out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Olly on September 13, 2011, 05:30:32 PM
There's no quick fix.

However, train your bowels to go to the toilet at least 6 times a day. I lost 1 stone in 3 years with that routine and swear by it.

That's okay, Olly if you can get your arse to to keep in sync with your bowels. If the former isn't in position over the target area when the latter releases its payload, you could have collateral damage to consider.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

hurricane

Every generation comes what their own rules about what is healthy and what is not. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic, went on Atkins, improved my blood sugar and felt healthier. It is true that poor people tend to eat unhealthier diets, but that could be due just as much to poor knowledge as to having less money to spend on food. It is always dangerous to jump to conclusions about "why" something is true, when there is no scientific evidence to prove it.
Read the book "Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About It" by Gary Taubes. The author recommends eating large amounts of fat, almost no carbohydrates, and that exercise won't help you lose weight. It is radically different from what we have been told is healthy, but thousands of people swear by it and other low-carb diets. Plus the author's conclusions are backed up by scientific research.