Fat, sick and nearly dead

Started by The Iceman, September 13, 2011, 04:50:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

Quote from: Minder on September 13, 2011, 09:32:05 PM
Quote from: cadence on September 13, 2011, 08:37:39 PM
i know someone who works in public health and it's a really interesting and worth while area to be into. they're well into trying to do something about the health inequalities in the location they work in. i'm no expert obviously, but what my friend says has rubbed off on me. generally speaking, poorer areas have higher healthcare provision needs than more well off areas. frozen food outlets like iceland and heron foods thrive in areas with high unemployment when people have to survive on a low income. these foods are high in saturated fats and when you take into consideration the high instances of depression that long-term unemployment can bring about, and the coping mechanisms some people resort to self-medicate themselves with, drink, fatty takeaway foods, the related illnesses just shoot up. go to well-to-do brighton and it's a different world from a poor area. they have shops solely devoted to pedacures and have the highest rates for breastfeeding in the country. and the people look so different. people look fit and athletic in brighton, whereas it's a differnet world in the poorer areas. some poorer areas have so few fresh fruit and veg shops that people living there had to travel a fair distance to get an apple http://www.webwell.org.uk/Eatwell-News/Eatwell-in-Sandwell-s-first-Shop-of-the-Month-winner.htm

anyway, even though you wouldn't have to travel that far for some fried chicken outlets around here, none, and i mean none, can hold a candle to the four lanterns, the mighty 4 lights with the curry cheese chip, big 4 wi' cheese, chicken boxes and strawberry milk. the food of the gods.

Would have to disagree with that. You can buy a banana or an apple for 20p. The people you describe in the high unemployment areas would probably have more takeaways in a week than a working person, they shop in Iceland because they would rather stick a  pizza in the oven than stand and make a dinner. Buying fruit and vegetables or a bag of spuds isn't the preserve of the middle class. People more often than not will eat the food they want to eat, be it healthy or unhealthy. A lot of it is pure laziness.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/healthatwarwick/research/devgroups/whocc/healthhousing_papers/rex.pdf

now, i'm no expert, but this study found that there is an issue with the availability of affordable food at a reasonable distance. come to sandwell, you'd be shocked! they do some of the cheapest chips in the uk here and high calories fast food outlets are all over the place. iceland and heron foods, who do frozen foods, are doing a roaring trade here and few shops sell fresh fruit and veg. i think it was a fairly groundbreaking study in the public health field, so i've been told.

these other two links go into health inequalities. first one says that  "People in lower socio-economic groups are more likely to experience chronic ill-health and die earlier than those who are more advantaged."

http://www.publichealth.ie/healthinequalities/healthinequalities

this one talks about the social determinants of poor health.. "A range of factors has been identified as social determinants of health and these generally include: the wider socio-economic context; inequality; poverty; social exclusion; socio-economic position; income; public policies; health services; employment; education; housing; transport; the built environment; health behaviours or lifestyles; social and community support networks and stress. A life course perspective provides a framework for understanding how these social determinants of health shape and influence an individual's health from birth to old age.
People who are less well off or who belong to socially excluded groups tend to fare badly in relation to these social determinants. For example they may have lower incomes, poorer education, fewer or more precarious employment opportunities and/or more dangerous working conditions or they may live in poorer housing or less healthy environments with access to poorer services or amenities than those who are better off – all of which are linked to poorer health."

http://www.publichealth.ie/files/file/Tackling%20health%20inequalities_0.pdf

i was in brighton recently and compared to sandwell it's like a different country. on the sea front you find chippers selling fish and chips to the tourist trade, and you'd expect that, but go in further into the town itself and there just isn't the volume of fast food retailers you get in sandwell. they wouldn't survive as businesses down in brighton. the high street where i live has at least a dozen fried chicken joints and it's not that long of a high street. 400-500m tops.

cadence

Quote from: J70 on September 13, 2011, 08:58:38 PM
I've had a few health issues of late due to an appalling diet and some weight gain in the last decade (and genetics). I'd already been eating properly for a couple of years nd lost all the weight and got all the blood stats back to normal before the problems surfaced, but the damage was done. Been trying a vegan/no oil diet for the past two months as according to one line of thought it could make a big difference to someone with my issue. Its not easy, especially when you're eating out, but I've been managing on a diet very strong on rice, legumes, vegetables, fruit, porridge, whole grain foods, almond milk, (even a bit of tofu) etc. and really don't miss meat and dairy at all. I've lost another stone too and generally feel great. I'm scientifically literate enough to realize it could all turn out to be a load of bollocks or that at least the benefits may be offset by other problems to some extent, but its so far, so good!

for different reasons, i've changed my diet from one with meat to a veggie one as the person i live with is veggie and can't have meat in the house (the things we do for love). was a killer to begin with but i've gotten used to it, mainly because the food is tasty and nice and spicy with heaps of flavour. she's been a veggie all her life and says some people who turn veggie when they haven't been brought up on it forget to get their protein and end up looking very pasty and unhealthy. so eat your pulses if you don't already know to. i've stopped eating white bread, white rice and pasta and mainly just have the spuds in a soap or something like that. i tend to go for the slower releasing food like porridge just because it takes longer for me to get hungry. tastes good too. i'll eat a heap of fresh fruit and veg every day and if i want some fast food, which is rarely these days, i can have it without feeling guilty. i was eating fairly healthy before i moved in with her because i love running and so was trying to make sure i was refueling properly. these days, fast food and fatty food makes my stomach feel quesy, so i really have no great appetite for anything but healthy grub these days. i know the exercise helps, but i fell much better eating well than not. maybe it's also a sign that i'm getting older and my body is telling me to be good to it.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2011, 12:26:31 AM
I've had a few health issues of late due to an appalling diet and some weight gain in the last decade (and genetics). I'd already been eating properly for a couple of years nd lost all the weight and got all the blood stats back to normal before the problems surfaced, but the damage was done. Been trying a vegan/no oil diet for the past two months as according to one line of thought it could make a big difference to someone with my issue. Its not easy, especially when you're eating out, but I've been managing on a diet very strong on rice, legumes, vegetables, fruit, porridge, whole grain foods, almond milk, (even a bit of tofu) etc. and really don't miss meat and dairy at all. I've lost another stone too and generally feel great. I'm scientifically literate enough to realize it could all turn out to be a load of bollocks or that at least the benefits may be offset by other problems to some extent, but its so far, so good!

for different reasons, i've changed my diet from one with meat to a veggie one as the person i live with is veggie and can't have meat in the house (the things we do for love). was a killer to begin with but i've gotten used to it, mainly because the food is tasty and nice and spicy with heaps of flavour. she's been a veggie all her life and says some people who turn veggie when they haven't been brought up on it forget to get their protein and end up looking very pasty and unhealthy. so eat your pulses if you don't already know to. i've stopped eating white bread, white rice and pasta and mainly just have the spuds in a soap or something like that. i tend to go for the slower releasing food like porridge just because it takes longer for me to get hungry. tastes good too. i'll eat a heap of fresh fruit and veg every day and if i want some fast food, which is rarely these days, i can have it without feeling guilty. i was eating fairly healthy before i moved in with her because i love running and so was trying to make sure i was refueling properly. these days, fast food and fatty food makes my stomach feel quesy, so i really have no great appetite for anything but healthy grub these days. i know the exercise helps, but i fell much better eating well than not. maybe it's also a sign that i'm getting older and my body is telling me to be good to it.
Jesus Christ, I've heard it all now!
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

cadence

Quote from: pintsofguinness on September 14, 2011, 08:03:07 AM
Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2011, 12:26:31 AM

Jesus Christ, I've heard it all now!

:D was a tough call that one.

maddog

Quote from: cadence on September 13, 2011, 11:58:15 PM
i know someone who works in public health and it's a really interesting and worth while area to be into. they're well into trying to do something about the health inequalities in the location they work in. i'm no expert obviously, but what my friend says has rubbed off on me. generally speaking, poorer areas have higher healthcare provision needs than more well off areas. frozen food outlets like iceland and heron foods thrive in areas with high unemployment when people have to survive on a low income. these foods are high in saturated fats and when you take into consideration the high instances of depression that long-term unemployment can bring about, and the coping mechanisms some people resort to self-medicate themselves with, drink, fatty takeaway foods, the related illnesses just shoot up. go to well-to-do brighton and it's a different world from a poor area. they have shops solely devoted to pedacures and have the highest rates for breastfeeding in the country. and the people look so different. people look fit and athletic in brighton, whereas it's a differnet world in the poorer areas. some poorer areas have so few fresh fruit and veg shops that people living there had to travel a fair distance to get an apple http://www.webwell.org.uk/Eatwell-News/Eatwell-in-Sandwell-s-first-Shop-of-the-Month-winner.htm

anyway, even though you wouldn't have to travel that far for some fried chicken outlets around here, none, and i mean none, can hold a candle to the four lanterns, the mighty 4 lights with the curry cheese chip, big 4 wi' cheese, chicken boxes and strawberry milk. the food of the gods.

Would have to disagree with that. You can buy a banana or an apple for 20p. The people you describe in the high unemployment areas would probably have more takeaways in a week than a working person, they shop in Iceland because they would rather stick a  pizza in the oven than stand and make a dinner. Buying fruit and vegetables or a bag of spuds isn't the preserve of the middle class. People more often than not will eat the food they want to eat, be it healthy or unhealthy. A lot of it is pure laziness.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/cross_fac/healthatwarwick/research/devgroups/whocc/healthhousing_papers/rex.pdf

now, i'm no expert, but this study found that there is an issue with the availability of affordable food at a reasonable distance. come to sandwell, you'd be shocked! they do some of the cheapest chips in the uk here and high calories fast food outlets are all over the place. iceland and heron foods, who do frozen foods, are doing a roaring trade here and few shops sell fresh fruit and veg. i think it was a fairly groundbreaking study in the public health field, so i've been told.

these other two links go into health inequalities. first one says that  "People in lower socio-economic groups are more likely to experience chronic ill-health and die earlier than those who are more advantaged."

this one talks about the social determinants of poor health.. "A range of factors has been identified as social determinants of health and these generally include: the wider socio-economic context; inequality; poverty; social exclusion; socio-economic position; income; public policies; health services; employment; education; housing; transport; the built environment; health behaviours or lifestyles; social and community support networks and stress. A life course perspective provides a framework for understanding how these social determinants of health shape and influence an individual's health from birth to old age.
People who are less well off or who belong to socially excluded groups tend to fare badly in relation to these social determinants. For example they may have lower incomes, poorer education, fewer or more precarious employment opportunities and/or more dangerous working conditions or they may live in poorer housing or less healthy environments with access to poorer services or amenities than those who are better off – all of which are linked to poorer health."

compared to sandwell it's like a different country.

So are most places. ;)

Bingo

We launched a 12 week health and well being programme for adults in the club last night - Operation TransFaughmation.

Great turn out for introduction night - about 120 people signed up from all backgrounds, shapes, sizes, male, female etc. End of it will see a 5KM run/walk and goal is to have as many people run it as possible but everyone will have their own goals.

Every week will see a programme of classes - 1 circuit training class per week plus an additional class another night eg Pilates, Yoga, Zumba, Boxercise, Hill walking. Also be a run/walk every sunday morning. Also provided a nutrition booklet for everyone last night and will be optional weekly weigh ins and additional nutrition advice including personal diet plans if required.

Great buzz about it last night and be interesting to see how it works out over the next 12 weeks.

cadence

Quote from: maddog on September 14, 2011, 09:57:42 AM

So are most places. ;)

reminds me of that ian rush story that always makes me chuckle. when explaining how difficult he found it to settle in turin with juve he said something along the lines that they didn't speak english and that "it was like a different country". 

cadence

Quote from: Bingo on September 14, 2011, 10:00:14 AM
We launched a 12 week health and well being programme for adults in the club last night - Operation TransFaughmation.

Great turn out for introduction night - about 120 people signed up from all backgrounds, shapes, sizes, male, female etc. End of it will see a 5KM run/walk and goal is to have as many people run it as possible but everyone will have their own goals.

Every week will see a programme of classes - 1 circuit training class per week plus an additional class another night eg Pilates, Yoga, Zumba, Boxercise, Hill walking. Also be a run/walk every sunday morning. Also provided a nutrition booklet for everyone last night and will be optional weekly weigh ins and additional nutrition advice including personal diet plans if required.

Great buzz about it last night and be interesting to see how it works out over the next 12 weeks.

fair play to yez. turnout sounds brilliant and it must have been good fun. been threatening to do some yoga or pilates for the flexibility for ages. giggsy does yoga and look how long he's been playing. must be something in it. 

The Iceman

Day 3 of the Juice Feast/Fast and have a dull headache, I'm a little tired but otherwise doing ok. Have my work to keep me occupied but thankfully this week have no major physical activity planned. Jumped on the scales this morning and I have lost 6lbs (I think the norm is 8-12lbs over the 10 days). Looking forward to the energy boost Puck mentioned and also just knowing I was able to do it.
Definitely don't agree with some people's attitudes of not caring if they die young. I'd love to make it to 100!
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

maddog

Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2011, 02:35:47 PM
Quote from: maddog on September 14, 2011, 09:57:42 AM

So are most places. ;)

reminds me of that ian rush story that always makes me chuckle. when explaining how difficult he found it to settle in turin with juve he said something along the lines that they didn't speak english and that "it was like a different country".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/features/2002/12/accents/a_b.shtml

Might come in handy for you.

cadence

the black country accent and slang is class. i was told today by someone that she was going to have some cobs for her tea. turns out a cob in the black country is a bap.

muppet

We Irish are living longer than ever in history and eating better than ever in our history (with the possible exception of the previous generation).

Genetics will kill the vast majority of us before anything else.
MWWSI 2017

maddog

Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2011, 04:16:37 PM
the black country accent and slang is class. i was told today by someone that she was going to have some cobs for her tea. turns out a cob in the black country is a bap.

I heard it spoken in a few old news recordings from the 1950s - may as well have been swahili. Mind you im sure the black country people had trouble with this fella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaadphJyy50

cadence

Quote from: maddog on September 14, 2011, 04:37:54 PM
Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2011, 04:16:37 PM

I heard it spoken in a few old news recordings from the 1950s - may as well have been swahili. Mind you im sure the black country people had trouble with this fella.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaadphJyy50

that's gold. he doesn't change one bit when he's asked! hunner miles an' 'ower!