Martin Mc Guinness is one of the great leaders of the modern times !

Started by orangeman, September 10, 2011, 12:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

A Presbyterian minister has told the Sinn Fein annual conference that Martin McGuinness is "one of the great leaders of modern times".

The ard fheis is taking place at Belfast's Waterfront Hall - the first time it has been held north of the border.

Reverend David Latimer was the opening guest speaker to Sinn Fein members.
Mr McGuinness and Rev Latimer have become friends through their community work in Londonderry.
"Martin, you and I have been journeying together for the last five years, and in that time we have become very firm friends able to relax in each other's company," said the First Derry Presbyterian clergyman.
"While our interaction might understandably raise eyebrows amongst some within our communities, the reality is you and I regard ourselves to be brothers within the same human frailty.
"Your invitation to me is forward looking and timely - is it possible that the Democratic Unionists could see their way to invite a Catholic priest to address their party conference this year or next?"
The DUP MP for East Londonderry, Gregory Campbell, had criticised Rev Latimer's decision to accept the invitation to speak at the ard fheis.

And following his address, the Londonderry clergyman was called a "latter day Lundy" by the leader of the Traditional Unionist Voice, Jim Allister.

Rev Latimer said there were no objections within his congregation to him accepting the offer.

When he introduced the Presbyterian minister, Mr McGuinness praised his willingness to speak to republicans.

Rev David Latimer speaks to Sinn Fein members "In my experience of recent years, many within the unionist community are up for a journey of reconciliation and dialogue," said the deputy first minister.

"Tonight one of those, the Rev David Latimer from First Derry Presbyterian church, has demonstrated that by his courageous decision to accept our invitation to address this ard fheis."

Rev Latimer also told Sinn Fein members that he would eventually like to see a symbolic public day of reconciliation in Northern Ireland.

He said the one-off event, which would see mutual recognition of wrongdoing, could be staged across all of Ireland.

"Such a solitary and public event would, I believe, provide space and time for everybody involved in the conflict to acknowledge the pain that each has inflicted," he said.

"Recognising we have hurt each other and that we have been hurt by each other and that we all need to forgive would undeniably be liberating for all 32 counties, I think, of this island."

North Antrim MLA Mr Allister was heavily critical of Rev Latimer.

"In describing McGuinness as a great leader he trampled on the graves and memories of all the victims of the IRA.

"This latter day Lundy may see McGuinness as 'one of the great leaders of modern times', I see him as one of the most unrepentant terrorist godfathers of modern times."

screenexile

They had Gregory Campbell on the News there and he's absolutely seething ... Great stuff!!!

Forever Green

Quote from: Lady GAA GAA on September 10, 2011, 12:41:50 AM
I LIKE PROTESTANTS

Awk...some of them are alright I suppose ;D

Good to see this for the pure fact that it will wind up all the bitter b**tards. Jim Allister is some craic. Tells you a lot about some of the people in N.Antrim when this spacer was voted in. Anyway, fair play to Reverend Latimer

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

Was it Rev Latimer who was down at Free Derry corner having a chat with EirigĂ­ members at a protest a while back? Whoever it was got criticised too. But he got a cup of tae out of it by all accounts.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Trout

Tokenism and let's all get alongerism as SF look to appeal to more moderate Unionists and Latimer increases his public profile.

Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

Nally Stand

Quote from: Trout on September 10, 2011, 09:03:27 AM
Tokenism and let's all get alongerism as SF look to appeal to more moderate Unionists and Latimer increases his public profile.

Aye thats it. He is a Church Minister not a Presidential candidate  ::)
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Hardy

Mr. Allister wouldn't be confusing religion and politics/? Surely not?

muppet

This is great news.

Now all we need is a prominent Catholic announcing Ian Paisley as one of the great feeders of modern times.

I nominate Mary Harney.
MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Fair play to the Rev Latimer.
Campbell and that bitter lemon Allister once again show themselves up for the bitter twisted hate filled C*NTS that they are.

Obviously "Trout" would prefer fighting to people getting along.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Trout

Quote from: Rossfan on September 10, 2011, 02:26:43 PM
Campbell and that bitter lemon Allister once again show themselves up for the bitter twisted hate filled C*NTS that they are.

Yeah everyone is getting along because of a PR stunt. Catch a grip ffs.
Sinn Fein delivers -

British rule

EC Unique

Quote from: Trout on September 10, 2011, 02:55:39 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 10, 2011, 02:26:43 PM

Yeah everyone is getting along because of a PR stunt. Catch a grip ffs.

I would not call it a PR stunt Trout. Would you not give it a bit more credit than that? A religious leader offers some encouragement to a political leader to work for peace. Is there nothing good about that?

Rossfan

The whole world is out of step except Trout and his mirror image Allister.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM