Champions League 2011/12

Started by ildanach, August 24, 2011, 10:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchardman

Have seen a lot of people even on facebook giving praise and glad chelsea won, these lads would all be liverpool, man u and gooner fans. Very strange, i think alot of EPL fans are very jealous as their always hearing how the top 2 in spain are so much better, which they still are.

I'm not a fan of any team (outside celtic) , but last night made me sick. We had training so i only seen the 2nd half, i know people talk about the great discipline and defence etc, but it was disgusting. It may be tiring, but it's not that hard to stand and defend your own box with 9 men and just boot the ball away. Chelsea were hammered over 2 legs, if barca had of scored first over the 2 legs and made chelsea come and attack, what would chelsea have offered up? very little i'd say.

Talk about underdog etc doesn't wash, not when they bought torres last year for 50 millions lids, hardly poor wee underdogs.

Plus i never usually bet and i threw lids on barca last night so i'm extra pissed off.

The best thing about GAA ( and alot of other sports too), is that the best team on the day usually wins ( except armagh in 2005). Soccer is what it is i guess, chelsea were right to do what they did, especially with 9 men, i just wish they could have been sickened at the end by a late goal

AQMP

Quote from: Orchardman on April 25, 2012, 11:23:12 AM
Have seen a lot of people even on facebook giving praise and glad chelsea won, these lads would all be liverpool, man u and gooner fans. Very strange, i think alot of EPL fans are very jealous as their always hearing how the top 2 in spain are so much better, which they still are.

I'm not a fan of any team (outside celtic) , but last night made me sick. We had training so i only seen the 2nd half, i know people talk about the great discipline and defence etc, but it was disgusting. Chelsea were hammered over 2 legs, if barca had of scored first over the 2 legs and made chelsea come and attack, what would chelsea have offered up? very little i'd say.

Talk about underdog etc doesn't wash, not when they bought torres last year for 50 millions lids, hardly poor wee underdogs.

Plus i never usually bet and i threw lids on barca last night so i'm extra pissed off.

The best thing about GAA ( and alot of other sports too), is that the best team on the day usually wins ( except armagh in 2005). Soccer is what it is i guess, chelsea were right to do what they did, especially with 9 men, i just wish they could have been sickened at the end by a late goal

Well where do you start with this one.  Tell you what, look at this statistic over the two games:

Goals scored:  Chelsea 3 (Three)
Goals scored:  Barcelona 2 (Two)

Pretty telling...

ziggy90

I'm not a fan of any team (outside celtic) , but last night made me sick. We had training so i only seen the 2nd half, i know people talk about the great discipline and defence etc, but it was disgusting. It may be tiring, but it's not that hard to stand and defend your own box with 9 men and just boot the ball away. Chelsea were hammered over 2 legs, if barca had of scored first over the 2 legs and made chelsea come and attack, what would chelsea have offered up? very little i'd say.

I'd say that sentence has a lot to do with that nonsense of a rant.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Denn Forever

For me it was the fact they won despite the efforts of Captain England.  Sublime goal by Rameres and a (surely it can't be this easy) goal by Torres.

Don't know who I would like the final to be against but either way it will be Sky's wet dream.  Beating the old maestro Mourinho or a rerun of WWII.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

gawa316

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on April 24, 2012, 11:40:50 PM
Havent got access to Youtube at work. Can someone tell me what exactly Shreeves said?

Presume Ivanovic already knew he was out of the final, or didn't he?

Not 100% sure if Ivanovic knew are not, I don't think he fully understood what was being said due to his broken english.

Shreeves said, 'Did you get booked after the penalty?'

Ivanovic said 'Yes'

Shreeves the said, 'You do realise that you'll now miss the final' or words to that affect.

Fcuker couldn't wait to get the boot in

Applesisapples

I have to say Barca got the result they deserved last night, I say that as a long standing fan. On balance they should have gone into that match at least at 1-1 and probably with a 1-3 win at Chelsea. They took the lead and didn't defend it. The game last night is symptomatic of the way they've being playing this last few months, breathtaking football but defensively suspect.Messi never takes penalties like the one he took last night. I hope this is not the end for Pep they are still a delight to watch. The paid for the lack of depth in their squad, no Villa and Sanchez and Messi out of sorts. The loss of Pique was immense and whilst I admire Valdes as a keeper I don't know what he was trying when he clobbered Pique. On a brighter note it was great to see Terry get a red and Lampard was lucky not to follow him. That said I've had a feeling from Christmas that Mourinho was going to get the better of Pep this year...but I hope Bayern do them tonight.

Stevie g 8

i just got the feeling after the first game that Barca wern,t going to have any luck,they completely dominated but luck deserted them.that was anti football that Chelsea played wih everyone behind the ball and massive luck

Magicsponge

I watched the game and all I could think of was that the fears that people had last year were starting to come true, teams are starting to copy Donegals style of play.
I know Arsenal, Tottenham etc... fans probably were cheering for chelsea last night but I cannot fathom why. If chelsea win surely that would do 4th place out of a champions league place. If I were a Newcastle/Arsenal/Tottenham fan I'd be cheering anyone but chelsea.
On another note Valdes isn't really a great keeper, he's good, but definitely not good enough for barcelona. The only reason he concedes so little is that the other teams usually son't have enough of the ball to take decent shots

Orior

Glen Hoddle was right. Bara needed to be more inventive
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

oakleafgael

The damage was done for Barca when they didn't manage to score in the first leg. Good defensive performance by Chelsea last night and they got more than a little luck along the way. Fair play to the linesman with the offside call and the refereee was decent enough, although he should have sent both Drogba and Lampard off as well. Fat Frank in particular deserved a red for his cowardly tackle.

Orchardman

Quote from: AQMP on April 25, 2012, 11:30:18 AM

I'm not a fan of any team (outside celtic) , but last night made me sick. We had training so i only seen the 2nd half, i know people talk about the great discipline and defence etc, but it was disgusting. Chelsea were hammered over 2 legs, if barca had of scored first over the 2 legs and made chelsea come and attack, what would chelsea have offered up? very little i'd say.

Well where do you start with this one.  Tell you what, look at this statistic over the two games:

Goals scored:  Chelsea 3 (Three)
Goals scored:  Barcelona 2 (Two)

Pretty telling...

Brilliant of you, and chelsea had 3 shots on target over 2 games. Do you think that's good for football? I'm sure you would be happy if every winning team carried on like that, u'd soon get sick of watching it

AZOffaly

Quote from: Stevie g 8 on April 25, 2012, 12:45:05 PM
i just got the feeling after the first game that Barca wern,t going to have any luck,they completely dominated but luck deserted them.that was anti football that Chelsea played wih everyone behind the ball and massive luck

That's harsh on Chelsea. You have to go out and win the games the best way you can. Obviously Barca are technically superior man for man, but that doesn't mean you have to roll over and let them tickle your belly.

Chelsea defended manfully, which is still part of the game, and score 3 goals over the two legs. I think they absolutely deserved their little bits of luck , but I think almost every team that wins anything has the ball bouce for them at some stage.

Fair play to them.

Orior

I'd imagine that Chelski are practicing their penalty kicks today
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orchardman

Quote from: ziggy90 on April 25, 2012, 11:50:48 AM

I'd say that sentence has a lot to do with that nonsense of a rant.

To be honest, not really, i just threw it in for extra measure. What's nonsense about the rest of it, you want me to give them some credit?
ok then credit to chelsea for defending well and getting lucky, and taking their 3 chances

ballinaman

Fair play Chelsea. Nice to see the Barcelona aura of invincibility dented for this year at least.

Barcelona missed a serious amount of chances over the two legs despite Chelsea's excellent defensive effort. Luck and a huge effort is whats needed to beat them.

The bollix Torres though, had 10 euro at 8/1 on a 2-1 scoreline....sickened! ;D