Champions League 2011/12

Started by ildanach, August 24, 2011, 10:39:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AQMP

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2012, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: AQMP on May 23, 2012, 12:55:07 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2012, 11:42:25 AM
Quote from: trileacman on May 23, 2012, 11:30:11 AM
Chelsea weren't that pretty to watch and they got a fierce slice of luck to win the last 3 games but I don't remember Man U or the pool waltzing their way to the CL. Smicer's goal, winning on penalties, Terry's miss and the 2 goals in injury time in '99? Time to get the chip off your shoulder, Man United's and Liverpool were as undeserving of their titles if you were to measure them by the current criticism of Chelski's finest.

Injury time is part of the game (as evidenced by Manchester City most recently) and even though United played poorly in that final in '99 they were undefeated in the tournament and scored a record number of goals. Some people only remember the final but forget how good United were in that competition as a whole. Any comparison with the current winners or indeed Liverpool in 2005 is a bit of a joke.

From Wiki:

"Man Utd won the trophy without losing a single game, despite having competed in a group with Bayern Munich, Barcelona and Brøndby plus two highly-rated Italian clubs in the knock-out stages. However, United became champions with just five wins in total, the lowest number of wins recorded by a champion in the Champions League era to date". 

You're right, I had forgotten how good they were! ;)

Are you seriously suggesting that the 1999 Manchester United team were not that good? Seriously? Have you forgotten they also managed to win a few other trophies (only English team EVER to win the treble)? Chelsea and 'pool finished outside the CL places ffs.

You said:  "Some people only remember the final but forget how good United were in that competition as a whole"

The records say Utd won five of their eleven games, (six of thirteen if you include the qualifying round), and made the knockout stages by virtue of being the second best runner up in the group stages.  They were good in the knockout stages but overall they didn't break much delph (a bit like Chelsea this year)

They still won it of course and that's really the first stat people remember, just as in about 5 or 7 years time people will look back at 2012 as the year Chlesea won the CL.

magpie seanie

I stand over what I said. United were excellent in the 1998/9 Champions League competition. Not great in the final but didn't park the bus.

nrico2006

I can't believe some of the spouting on here about United in 99.  They were brilliant that year and unbelievably entertaining, when thinking back it was the most exciting season in Europe I have ever followed United through.  The final was not their best performance (suppose missing two of their best players didn't help) but they gave the worl the most unbelievable comeback in the history of the competition to win it outright.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Gazzler

All this talk of Chelsea being a defensive team and being lucky to win the CL is really taking away from United shitting their togs in the PL and blowing an 8 point lead with 5 games to go in the most embarrassing collapse in the history of the sport or any sport for that matter......
Just in case anyone was forgetting............................. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

trueblue1234

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 23, 2012, 03:45:13 PM
I can't believe some of the spouting on here about United in 99.  They were brilliant that year and unbelievably entertaining, when thinking back it was the most exciting season in Europe I have ever followed United through.  The final was not their best performance (suppose missing two of their best players didn't help) but they gave the worl the most unbelievable comeback in the history of the competition to win it outright.

I think 2005 would be up there as well.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Bingo

This is laughable really, arguing who won the best  ;D

A win is a win and the record books show nothing else. I happened to be in a pub on Saturday for large part of it and everyone was glued to it and was very little said of Chelsea's tactics. Surprisingly alot where happy for them. Apart from JT's appearance to lift it. But thats another argument.

AQMP

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2012, 03:20:36 PM
I stand over what I said. United were excellent in the 1998/9 Champions League competition. Not great in the final but didn't park the bus.

Fair enough Seanie.  Let's move on.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AQMP on May 23, 2012, 04:17:06 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on May 23, 2012, 03:20:36 PM

Fair enough Seanie.  Let's move on.

Yep - no problem.

ross4life

United's wins in 99,08 both were superb because they were undefeated throughout the campaigns & won the PL both years as well. As for Chelsea from 2004-2012 they have been there or thereabouts in the CL probably one of the most consistent teams in the competition. A lot of bad luck like the ghost goal in 05, Norway ref vs Barca in 09 etc so if one team deserved a CL over the years it was them.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

thebigfella

Quote from: Gazzler on May 23, 2012, 03:52:23 PM
All this talk of Chelsea being a defensive team and being lucky to win the CL is really taking away from United shitting their togs in the PL and blowing an 8 point lead with 5 games to go in the most embarrassing collapse in the history of the sport or any sport for that matter......
Just in case anyone was forgetting............................. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

You obviously have forgot quit a bit........... or obviously don't know anything about sport.

You could have, any of England's Penalty Shootouts  :P, McIlroy at the Masters, Jean van de Velde at the Open in 99..... Sure Newcastle blew a bigger lead so how can Utd's be the most embarrassing?

Try harder  ::)

Gazzler

Quote from: thebigfella on May 23, 2012, 04:45:50 PM
Quote from: Gazzler on May 23, 2012, 03:52:23 PM

You obviously have forgot quit a bit........... or obviously don't know anything about sport.

You could have, any of England's Penalty Shootouts  :P, McIlroy at the Masters, Jean van de Velde at the Open in 99..... Sure Newcastle blew a bigger lead so how can Utd's be the most embarrassing?

Try harder  ::)
No United's is the most embarrassing without a doubt.
Newcastle didn't blow it with 5 game to go.