All-Ireland Senior Football final - Kerry v Dublin 18/09/2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 22, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bensars

Good to see Dublin winning it. Unreal fitness levels.  Dublin were 12.5 on betfair just before the goal.

Throw ball

Quote from: Throw ball on August 29, 2011, 02:11:58 AM
Will Dublin's usual referee, Joe McQuillan, get the final now?

I hope Dublin win. Getting a bit boring Kerry there all the time!

I posted this before referee was named. He does seem to get a lot of Dublin games but did not think he was too bad yesterday. Well doe the Dubs.

Hardy

Quote from: rrhf on September 19, 2011, 01:26:08 PM
Will the Meath men  ion here admit that Cluxtons celebrations supercede Kevin Foleys as the best celebrations ever witnessed on a Gaelic Field?

Commendable and close, but not quite. I detected a trace of levity in his step as he returned to his goal. Foley never lightened his leaden tread or let the scowl leave his chops.

He has, however, outdone Kevin on one score - he has given one less media interview. The approximate content of Foley's one and only encounter with the press, conducted in his pelt in the dressing room after that goal:

Journalist - How does this goal compare with other scores you've got, Kevin?
Kevin - I don't know, Paddy. I never scored before.
Paddy - Well, even compared to scoring at club level.
Kevin - I told you, Paddy. I never scored before. You're standin on me towel.

Hill16 Blues

Most incredible Dublin game I've ever been at. The Hill was phenominal yesterday. Last 10 mins just a blur.

One thing I would say though to those saying Kerry gave it away. They absolutely did not!!! Dublin took it - won the match by playing the full 70+ mins with massive heart and determination and composure and skills and a bloody minded belief in themselves.

No one should doubt the Dublin team!!!

fearglasmor

Quote from: mylestheslasher on September 19, 2011, 01:22:03 PM
Listen ya eejits, Kerry were 4 points up and tried to hold onto possession to frustrate Dublin and close out the match. That is not "negative" mass defence. It is something that comes from experience and many of the best teams in a range of sports do it. What happened is that Kerry made an error in a pass got turned over and a brilliant goal was scored. This injected Dublin with some extra life and the rest we know. If Kerry had not made that mistake we all know they would have won and people on here would be going on about how professional they were to run down the clock. It was a fantastic game and I'm just glad Donegal weren't there to spoil it.

Listen ya eejit  Gaelic Football is not soccer. Ya  cant close out a game with a 4 point lead by backpassing with 10 minutes on the clock. There is a much higher possibilty of losing posession in Football. It is a flawed approach, even in soccer never mind football. And if you have guys like Donaghy and Cooper in your forwards what Kerry did actually amounts to a cowardly approach, which Dublin were good enough to take advantage of.
Cowardly Kerry,  never thought I'd say that.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: Hardy on September 19, 2011, 01:55:14 PM
Quote from: rrhf on September 19, 2011, 01:26:08 PM
Will the Meath men  ion here admit that Cluxtons celebrations supercede Kevin Foleys as the best celebrations ever witnessed on a Gaelic Field?

Commendable and close, but not quite. I detected a trace of levity in his step as he returned to his goal. Foley never lightened his leaden tread or let the scowl leave his chops.

He has, however, outdone Kevin on one score - he has given one less media interview. The approximate content of Foley's one and only encounter with the press, conducted in his pelt in the dressing room after that goal:

Journalist - How does this goal compare with other scores you've got, Kevin?
Kevin - I don't know, Paddy. I never scored before.
Paddy - Well, even compared to scoring at club level.
Kevin - I told you, Paddy. I never scored before. You're standin on me towel.

LMFAO!!! (I really mean that)  :D :D :D :D :D

spuds

Tomás Ó Sé shows his class

18 September 2011; Tomás Ó Sé, Kerry, offers the match ball to Stephen Cluxton, Dublin. GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Final, Kerry v Dublin, Croke Park, Dublin. Picture credit: Dáire Brennan / SPORTSFILE
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Kerry Mike

To Heffo, Hound, Indiana, Canalman and all the other decent Dubs here, congrats on a great win for the capital. Just watched a replay now and we made some basic errors that ye captilised on are deserving winners this year, Dublin have been bangin on the door for a good few years now and it will be good for the GAA in Dublin. 

I hate losing but am not blaming the referee for his performance its wont change the result at this stage, we had the game but could not close it out. Well done to all involved in Dublin GAA

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: spuds on September 19, 2011, 02:18:26 PM
Tomás Ó Sé shows his class

18 September 2011; Tomás Ó Sé, Kerry, offers the match ball to Stephen Cluxton, Dublin. GAA Football All-Ireland Senior Championship Final, Kerry v Dublin, Croke Park, Dublin. Picture credit: Dáire Brennan / SPORTSFILE

and Cluxton just kicked it away into the crowd

stew

Quote from: Whishtup on September 18, 2011, 09:37:18 PM
Quote from: saffronandblue on September 18, 2011, 05:02:22 PM
The ref was a total disgrace today, shame on him

The only bit of sense on this board tonight.  While I hope that the fans and players of Dublin have a ball tonight, they will never have Sam handed to them as easily in the future.  I counted at least six pointed frees given to Dublin in the wrong today and two blatant Dublin sendings-off ignored by the ref.  Spoilt the match for me as a spectacle and I commiserate totally with Kerry who were outstanding to overcome the psychological torture of one-sided refereeing and almost win the game.  Had the game been martialled fairly, Kerry would have won well.  I'd say the game was better to be at than watch on TV where the shocking decisions were hard to stomach.

I don't begrudge Dublin Sam this year for their efforts-I just can't forget several decisions that have went in their favour over the championship and, quite frankly, I'm losing interest in the sport due to the crap refereeing.

Delighted for the players and fans, though-they have had their fair share of heartache over the years and they bring a lot to the game.

Quit yapping, sure didnt the GAA hand Tyrone and wee peter an AI against us, sending a man of when being charged by a Tyrone man, the apology a week later softened the blow quite a bit however. :-\

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 19, 2011, 02:20:42 PM
To Heffo, Hound, Indiana, Canalman and all the other decent Dubs here, congrats on a great win for the capital. Just watched a replay now and we made some basic errors that ye captilised on are deserving winners this year, Dublin have been bangin on the door for a good few years now and it will be good for the GAA in Dublin. 

I hate losing but am not blaming the referee for his performance its wont change the result at this stage, we had the game but could not close it out. Well done to all involved in Dublin GAA

Good man Mike, fair play.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

AZOffaly

Quote from: Billys Boots on September 19, 2011, 03:53:30 PM
Quote from: Kerry Mike on September 19, 2011, 02:20:42 PM

Good man Mike, fair play.

Wouldn't expect any less.

Edit. Janey, just read that comment back again and it looked fairly sharp. What I meant was I'm not surprised that KM is as gracious in defeat, just like most of his countymen and women.

Radda bout yeee

Is it true the Dublin players are still in Coppers? Quality!!!

Anyhow I think the match hinged on one tackle - If O'Sullivan had of made any sort of decent challenge on McManamon for his goal then he wouldn't have scored the goal and Kerry would have won!
To make a token tackle a that stage of an all ireland final is shocking!!!

Congrats to the jacks anyway. First all ireland since you broke my heart as a child in '95 - i'll not even get into that old ground!!!  ;D

bennydorano

Well done Dublin, delighted to see the win, really like Gilroy (for no apparent reason) and it was clear what he was trying to achieve long before it came to fruition yesterday.  I'd say at the minute Dublin are a Dara O'Se/ Paul McGrane type quality midfielder away from being a very very dominant force. 

Interesting to hear Spillane trotting out the miles in the legs/going to the well quotables last night again, the same was said last year and the year before.  I've said it a few times along the way, but I really dont think Kerry have improved in any area of the field over the past few years, an amazingly talented forward line (well of 4 forwards and 2 filler) has been carrying them and it's a testament to them that they've brought them this close again.

Sure it's been mentioned already but kudos to Joe Brolly for nailing the fawning sentimental shite yesterday pre-game (about Spillane comparing young New Zealanders wanting to be All-Blacks to young Kerry lads wanting to play in the Green and Gold). :)

haranguerer

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on September 19, 2011, 04:11:38 PM
Anyhow I think the match hinged on one tackle - If O'Sullivan had of made any sort of decent challenge on McManamon for his goal then he wouldn't have scored the goal and Kerry would have won!
To make a token tackle a that stage of an all ireland final is shocking!!!

You eejit - he was out on his feet, after taking the rap from Brennan he wasnt the same, he gave away the ball in mf and sprinted as hard as he could to get back to make amendsl, but by the time he got there he was f**ked. He actually did do some good though, he forced McManamon into carrying it twice the allowed number of steps, which he should have been blown for. Just saying like...

Also, Kerry lost becuase they gave away a bad ball in midfield. They were keeping posession, they werent playing defensively. They were still looking to go forward, just not rushing it against a packed dublin defence. Michael Dara McAuley was immense btw I thought