All-Ireland Senior Football final - Kerry v Dublin 18/09/2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 22, 2011, 06:06:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadence

congarts to dublin, commiserations to kerry. really good contest. thought dublin lacked a bit of composure at times in front of the posts but they really hung in there and found a way to get over the line. worthy champs. also thought their fitness told towards the end when they increased the pressure in harrying around midfield having got a sniff of victory after the goal. they looked gone before they got that goal though. amazing how it turned around in those few moments. take nothing away from dublin, they had to capitalise having gotten the goal, but kerry must be wondering how they lost it. they were cruising and in control and looked so relaxed.

ross matt

Now THAT  was what I call a game. Well done to both sides for an exciting final and congrats to the Dubs (especially Indiana and all the blues on this board). Kerry may have had some of the best footballers but Dublin had the best overall team.

Kerry looked like they were in cruise control but made two sloppy mistakes and paid dearly for them. You have to hand it to Dublin for seizing the initiative and rescuing victory from the jaws of defeat. I really thought they had blown it after Sheehan kicked that super point from play.

Credit has to go to Gilroy especially but also Whelan and Hickey etc in their management team. They had a better outing than jack today. He started Galvin far too early and whilst he kicked a nice point he gave away an amount of possession and was anonymous for most of the match. Lack of game time this year and last caught up with him but he would have been much more dynamic if held for the 2nd half and perhaps other players were tiring. Donaghy was doing quite well outside when he moved him in. Gilroy's springing of Mcmenamin worked brilliantly again.

However this Kerry side have given some greats days entertainment over the years. I dont buy that Tom O'Se will retire. Maybe Tom O'Sullivan and Galvin will need to be playing consistently in the league if he's to get back to his normal standard in the future. But they will be back. Plenty more left in Gooch and Donaghy .. the two Sullivans and young Moran should be back from injury to man midfield.

All in all todays match was a satisfactory end to the season for me speaking as a neutral.

johnpower

Congrats to the Dubs. I hope you all enjoy your win. Dissappointing for Kerry but thats football .Nice touch in recognising Pillar Caffery after the game.

muppet

Congrats to the Dub lads on here.

It was some way to win a game. 1-2 in the last 8 minutes to win by a point scored by the keeper.

To Heffo, Hound, EasyTige, Indiana, Canalman and all the true blues, don't go too mad!
MWWSI 2017

Orangemac

Well done the Dubs. Great character to pull that out of the fire today. When Kerry went 4 points up you could only see one winner, Dublin were winning nothing at midfield and giving away needless free kicks. Kerry were almost toying with them at 1 stage.

Bit like Armagh in 2002, a lot of heart and a bit of luck here and there and sometimes your name is on the trophy.

With Ireland game yesterday and Dubs today there was some shouting done at the telly this weekend :D

moysider

Back about an hour and still trying to get my head around it all. God help the rest of us next year because Kerry are going to fester some hurt over the winter about this one. They ll be eating the grass next Summer.

With 6 to go Kerry led by 4 and Dublin looked gone. It looked then that Kerry would close it out by 5-7 points. They blew it. Daft turn over, lazy tackle and the game is turned on its head. Dublin had to win it of course but Kerry let them in and I expect skin and hair to fly below.

A lot of these Kerry players have now lost as many finals as they ve won! 4 in the last 10 years is it. They won t like that and neither will they like it that they failed Gooch's chance to lift Sam. Gooch was class again today and was a big part of Kerry wresting control of the game in the second half.

For a Kerry team their bench was watery enough. 2 of the starting forwards did not perform and Walsh left on far too long. Barry John though did much better when he came on. Both Declan O Sullivan and Brosnan took massive hits and both looked empty long before the end. But Brosnan being subbed probably was a bit unsettling with a few minutes to go.

Whishtup

Quote from: saffronandblue on September 18, 2011, 05:02:22 PM
The ref was a total disgrace today, shame on him

The only bit of sense on this board tonight.  While I hope that the fans and players of Dublin have a ball tonight, they will never have Sam handed to them as easily in the future.  I counted at least six pointed frees given to Dublin in the wrong today and two blatant Dublin sendings-off ignored by the ref.  Spoilt the match for me as a spectacle and I commiserate totally with Kerry who were outstanding to overcome the psychological torture of one-sided refereeing and almost win the game.  Had the game been martialled fairly, Kerry would have won well.  I'd say the game was better to be at than watch on TV where the shocking decisions were hard to stomach.

I don't begrudge Dublin Sam this year for their efforts-I just can't forget several decisions that have went in their favour over the championship and, quite frankly, I'm losing interest in the sport due to the crap refereeing.

Delighted for the players and fans, though-they have had their fair share of heartache over the years and they bring a lot to the game.

imtommygunn

Fantastic day's entertainment in both games. With ten minutes to go most people would have predicted each game to go the other way.

Hard to begrudge the dubs the win. Their indiscipline almost cost them but they showed some character and McMenamim is some man to come on as a sub. He fits the sub role for dublin perfectly with his ability to go at teams when they're tired. I thought Connolly, while not troubling the scoreboard too much, played a very good game of holding the ball up and taking the right option. The Brogan's were very good too. O'Carroll seemed to rub a few people up the wrong way.

Also with Donaghy's behaviour and crying hard not to take some satisfaction out of seeing him get beat...

Gooch and Tomas O'Se are some players mind. Pity to see them lose but you have to have some loser.

Gold

26.38 to 27.48 --Cluxton up to take a kick --Brogan hit one few mins later took 1 minute to hit.

These were only 2 examples (albeit in the first half) in 10 mins that i watched of the re-run on TG4
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

imtommygunn

Quote from: Whishtup on September 18, 2011, 09:37:18 PM

The only bit of sense on this board tonight.  While I hope that the fans and players of Dublin have a ball tonight, they will never have Sam handed to them as easily in the future.  I counted at least six pointed frees given to Dublin in the wrong today and two blatant Dublin sendings-off ignored by the ref.  Spoilt the match for me as a spectacle and I commiserate totally with Kerry who were outstanding to overcome the psychological torture of one-sided refereeing and almost win the game.  Had the game been martialled fairly, Kerry would have won well.  I'd say the game was better to be at than watch on TV where the shocking decisions were hard to stomach.

I don't begrudge Dublin Sam this year for their efforts-I just can't forget several decisions that have went in their favour over the championship and, quite frankly, I'm losing interest in the sport due to the crap refereeing.

Delighted for the players and fans, though-they have had their fair share of heartache over the years and they bring a lot to the game.

Wouldn't agree at all. I thought the ref did alright. There were not two sendings off in that game. Brennan could be argued however your man slipped before he got to him which made it look a lot worse. There is absolutely no way the dubs had 6 pointed frees which weren't frees!

(The Galvin foul was a foul - Brennan was about to kick for a point and Galvin yanked the arm so he couldn' shoot. That was the most debatable one I saw)

Mike Sheehy

Congrats to the Dubs. They have paid their dues over the last few years and kept at it today so good to see players like the Brogans get their reward. Disappointed our lads didnt close it out but...sin e... it just wasn't meant to. Roll on 2012.

timmyot501

Who will RTE give man of the match to?  McManamen and cluxton were the heros but don't think either will get the nod. Bernard Brogan was maybe the pick though O'Sullivan at the back for the dubs wuz fairly good too. McAuley maybe in with a shout too??

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Quote from: timmyot501 on September 18, 2011, 10:00:14 PM
Who will RTE give man of the match to?  McManamen and cluxton were the heros but don't think either will get the nod. Bernard Brogan was maybe the pick though O'Sullivan at the back for the dubs wuz fairly good too. McAuley maybe in with a shout too??

Pat Spillane talking utter nonsense now on Sunday Game. So is McStay tbh.

As for MOM. With 6 minutes to go you would be looking at 4 Kerrymen before you would mention a Dub. I thought Cooper, Donaghy, Darren O Sull,  and Sheehan [the best of the lot tbh]. If they have to give it to the winner then McMen, Clux, Brogans, McAul look the most likely.

Gold

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 18, 2011, 09:46:19 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on September 18, 2011, 09:37:18 PM

Wouldn't agree at all. I thought the ref did alright. There were not two sendings off in that game. Brennan could be argued however your man slipped before he got to him which made it look a lot worse. There is absolutely no way the dubs had 6 pointed frees which weren't frees!

(The Galvin foul was a foul - Brennan was about to kick for a point and Galvin yanked the arm so he couldn' shoot. That was the most debatable one I saw)

What about the free for Brosnan touching it on the ground>?? He didnt--he blocked McMenimin then kicked the ball away--i've rewound and watched it to be sure
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."