2012 London Olympics - Official thread

Started by muppet, August 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

All of a Sludden

Ramirez, who beat Michael Conlon has won gold.
I'm gonna show you as gently as I can how much you don't know.

ziggy90

Quote from: ONeill on August 12, 2012, 01:41:49 PM
Quote from: ziggy90 on August 12, 2012, 01:12:47 PM
Why did the Kenyan silver medallist blank the Ugandan gold medallist?

Over access to a field. The Kenyan lad put a gate up overnight as he claims it included a bit of land in his deeds.

Well if that's the case, right he was :o.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

Evil Genius

Quote from: Denn Forever on August 12, 2012, 01:48:28 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 12, 2012, 01:04:09 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 12, 2012, 11:24:24 AM
Take your points - all you need know is that thus was printed in the Sunday Independent and is therefore almost certainly total shite. You can know this before you even read it.
Yeah, bring back Censorship.

And Book Burning, too.

I mean, why go to the trouble of putting your mind to something, when you can just close it completely?  ::)

I think Myles was alluding to the contempt that is felt for the Indo and Sunday Indo.  A braodsheet tabloid.
I am well aware of that [bold].

But declining to read/trust a newspaper generally is one thing.

Damning every single article contained within it, without even having read it, is imo something else entirely.

It's rather like eg an Irish Republican mistrusting the English on account of his understanding of the history between the English and Irish, and consequently refusing to talk to any individual English person ever again.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 12, 2012, 02:45:08 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on August 12, 2012, 01:48:28 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on August 12, 2012, 01:04:09 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 12, 2012, 11:24:24 AM
Take your points - all you need know is that thus was printed in the Sunday Independent and is therefore almost certainly total shite. You can know this before you even read it.
Yeah, bring back Censorship.

And Book Burning, too.

I mean, why go to the trouble of putting your mind to something, when you can just close it completely?  ::)

I think Myles was alluding to the contempt that is felt for the Indo and Sunday Indo.  A braodsheet tabloid.
I am well aware of that [bold].

But declining to read/trust a newspaper generally is one thing.

Damning every single article contained within it, without even having read it, is imo something else entirely.

It's rather like eg an Irish Republican mistrusting the English on account of his understanding of the history between the English and Irish, and consequently refusing to talk to any individual English person ever again.

Who said I didn't read it? Sunday Indo is a disgraced rag, further disgraced today by lies on their front page. Looking for measured commentary on a topic in it is akin to looking for measured comment on the national front website.

Tony Baloney

How the fcuk has Joshua got a gold medal?!  :o

Square Ball

Quote from: Square Ball on August 12, 2012, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 12, 2012, 12:18:36 PM
Herb Street restaurant taking a battering on twitter for a supposed racist tweet about Nevin. This twitter will be the ruination of us all.

Just seen it, oops

same sort of tweet
Jim Wells responds to his re-tweet making fun of Irish

The DUP's Jim Wells said he has now deleted the message and blocked the original sender
DUP assembly member Jim Wells has said he did not mean to re-tweet a comment making fun of the Irish.

On Saturday night, the South Down MLA re-tweeted a post from one of his followers on the micro-blogging site.

It said the Irish had taken the gold, the lead from the roofs and the copper piping from the changing rooms.

Mr Wells said the message should have been deleted and not forwarded and that he has now deleted the post and blocked the sender.

A DUP spokesman said the comment was "mistakenly re-tweeted".

"In the midst of reading and sending many different tweets last night relating to the Olympics, Jim mistakenly re-tweeted a comment from another user which referenced an Irish medal winner," he said.

"The re-tweet has now been deleted and the original poster blocked from Mr Wells's account.

"Unfortunately in the social media world, many people were able to see the offending tweet before it was deleted.

"We also understand there is some debate as to whether a re-tweet counts as an endorsement but in this case it has been deleted to help avoid any offence
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bcarrier

Mo Farah's  coach is Alberto Salazar. Salazar is the Jim McGuiness of athletics...if something hasn't been specifically ruled out by the governing bodies and he thinks it might help his athletes he will use it. You will get a flavour of it here ...

http://law.duke.edu/sportscenter/salazar.pdf

imtommygunn

Quote from: bcarrier on August 12, 2012, 07:00:56 PM
Mo Farah's  coach is Alberto Salazar. Salazar is the Jim McGuiness of athletics...if something hasn't been specifically ruled out by the governing bodies and he thinks it might help his athletes he will use it. You will get a flavour of it here ...

When was that written??

imtommygunn

Quote from: mylestheslasher on August 11, 2012, 08:15:28 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on August 11, 2012, 07:58:11 PM
Too good to be true

Who can increase their speeds and times heading towards the end of their athletics careers to rreach elite levels. The Brits can. f**k off cheats.

When the Algerian did it the other day they weren't long on Rte insinuating he was a cheat, how come no such insinuations.

The Algerian has no history- farah has. Farah won marginally with a smart tactical race and a slightly better kick at the right times. The Algerian ran a 23 second 200 towards the end of a 1500- that kind of pace is unheard of. He also won easy with no history. Farah has done things in the past to illustrate pedigree.

If those other boys in the 5000 had ran the kick out of him the race would have been different too.

Yes the 16 year old Chinese kid being questioned was wrong but not the Algerian.

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

bcarrier

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2012, 09:02:30 PM

When was that written??

Capt Pat

When the worlds most successful at turning average middle and long distance runners into great middle and long distance runners coach writes speeches like that. It makes me worry. I could write a speech like that looking in at what is going on. However when I hear an insider making speeches like that I don't like it. It is a bit like the Joe O Reilly interview and photo in the kitchen. Why are you saying these things Salazar. Look you concentrate on training your athletes and we will watch you and say if you are good or bad.

It is very Shakespearean. To be or not to be that is the question etc.  Or Raskalnikov in crime and punishment. To kill a prostitute or not to kill a prostitute. To cheat with drugs or not to cheat with drugs

deiseach

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 12, 2012, 09:30:32 PM
It is very Shakespearean. To be or not to be that is the question etc.  Or Raskalnikov in crime and punishment. To kill a prostitute or not to kill a prostitute. To cheat with drugs or not to cheat with drugs

My sentiments exactly. Ahem.

laoislad

Just flicked over from watching Golf and Katie Taylor was up on stage,what was that for?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

saffron sam2

Quote from: laoislad on August 12, 2012, 10:08:59 PM
Just flicked over from watching Golf and Katie Taylor was up on stage,what was that for?

More detail on the Hotties thread.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet