2012 London Olympics - Official thread

Started by muppet, August 21, 2011, 10:54:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: laoislad on July 29, 2012, 11:03:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2012, 10:58:03 PM
No. Just Nevin, Nolan and O'Neill.

How many more fights before they have a chance of a medal?
A semi final guarantees bronze doesn't it?

They all have to win two more fights for bronze. Katey needs just one win.

Flutehook

Quote from: ross4life on July 29, 2012, 10:49:47 PMafter all these years it's still great to hear Jimmy Magee on the mic.

Jaysus but he's brutal boxing commentator; spouting trivia about past boxers' medals and Oulart-The Ballagh while missing the main points of the fight - he ain't no Noel Andrews for sure.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Flutehook on July 29, 2012, 11:45:08 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 29, 2012, 10:49:47 PMafter all these years it's still great to hear Jimmy Magee on the mic.

Jaysus but he's brutal boxing commentator; spouting trivia about past boxers' medals and Oulart-The Ballagh while missing the main points of the fight - he ain't no Noel Andrews for sure.

give the man a break, he must be at least 110 now-bound to be doting a wee bit.

Hardy

Quote from: Flutehook on July 29, 2012, 11:45:08 PM

Excellent. I love seeing things I never thought I'd see.

Hound

I don't think the Irish boxing management will be complaining about the aggressor not getting the points he warranted in the last round this time! Shows two things I think, just because your throwing loads of punches doesnt mean you're scoring, and having support from the crowd is worth some points. But of course Nolan deserved his win overall.

The British boxers won't be easily beaten. Even Katie will need to be very wary if the Englishwan beats Underwood.

Jimmy Magee is a great man, but should be retired.

AQMP

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2012, 11:13:33 PM
Yeah, Chloe Magee. Won handy in the end.

Did anyone pick up on Stephen "Little Northern Irelander" Watson's references to "Northern Ireland's swimmers" and then "Ulster badminton player Chloe Magee".  Are there any lengths this man won't go to to avoid saying that these athletes are representing Ireland??

Bingo

Red button coverage on BBC is great, basically watch whatever you like. Some if the coverage doesn't even have commentary.

It was a bit disgraceful yesterday evening that the Brazil V Holland beach volleyball game saw both teams wear long sleeve tops and full leggings. Not acceptable.

SKY news coverage is gas, they spent most of their time yesterday discussing the empty seats, showing random pictures of empty seats and talking to anyone who'd say anything about it. Its like they trying to create a story on it and deflect from the actual games themselves.

AQMP

Quote from: Bingo on July 30, 2012, 10:01:55 AM
Red button coverage on BBC is great, basically watch whatever you like. Some if the coverage doesn't even have commentary.

It was a bit disgraceful yesterday evening that the Brazil V Holland beach volleyball game saw both teams wear long sleeve tops and full leggings. Not acceptable.

SKY news coverage is gas, they spent most of their time yesterday discussing the empty seats, showing random pictures of empty seats and talking to anyone who'd say anything about it. Its like they trying to create a story on it and deflect from the actual games themselves.

These are a crucial couple of days for LOCOG.  If GB doesn't produce a couple of good news performances then the story will gradually shift to the empty seats.

LeoMc

Quote from: AQMP on July 30, 2012, 09:13:36 AM
Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2012, 11:13:33 PM
Yeah, Chloe Magee. Won handy in the end.

Did anyone pick up on Stephen "Little Northern Irelander" Watson's references to "Northern Ireland's swimmers" and then "Ulster badminton player Chloe Magee".  Are there any lengths this man won't go to to avoid saying that these athletes are representing Ireland??

I noticed that alright. Thought she must have been NI when he mentioned her at all.

LeoMc

Quote from: Bingo on July 30, 2012, 10:01:55 AM

There are still tickets available for over 60 events. This should be pointed out to anyone on crying about the empty seats and how they would love to go.

screenexile

It's the middle of a recession, why do they think they can sell out every venue for every event? It's not possible!

tommysmith

Yeah Sky are a joke, sitting outside stadiums talking about empty seats and then the crowd leaving wembley early last night to get the last tube home(which was a bit daft that the tubes didnt run until after events finished). Big story about a set of keys going missing also.

Its like the Euro2012 coverage,if two lads looked at each other they had breaking news that tensions were growing betweeen supporters and there could be trouble.

They really are struggling in the summer with all the events they cant show due to leglislation.

Bingo

Alot of the prominent empty seats, like in the pool, were empty during early heats as they are reserved for the athletes. You could see this area was full last night for the finals when all the competing teams had lost of support.

Also, the events last all day - think they split into morning and evening sections  - but it still a long sitting. Its only natural for people to be eating, drinking, taking a break, shopping or whatever over the course of a day. Particularly in hospitality sections.

SKY will also report any doping very quickly you'll find.

Rois

Just put my name in the hat for tickets for Sunday's athletics - my company is raffling off a few pairs and I have about a 1 in 80 chance.