New stadium for Dublin?

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 12, 2011, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: heffo on August 19, 2011, 03:17:52 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2011, 03:06:53 PM
Never understood why Dublin fans rate Andrews so highly to be honest.

Top class Minor, u21, Sigerson and club player.

Has never been given a chance in the corner for Dublin.

Would have him down more as a full forward. Can't understand why he was never given an opportunity there.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

heffo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on August 19, 2011, 03:30:26 PM

Would have him down more as a full forward. Can't understand why he was never given an opportunity there.

Plays there for Brigids alright, but would think he'd be more an IC corner forward.

Canalman

In a minority of one here but think that Paddy Andrews to my mind hasn't done enough with the chances he has been given to nail down any sort of spot on the Dublin team . Just my opinion mind and he is definitely young enough to bounce back like his big brother did after some early intercounty setbacks.

Definitely a class club footballer, possibly a class intercounty footballer also, but I personally haven't seen it. Know lads whose opinions I would respect say he is good enough though, so maybe it is just me.

Jinxy

There's loads of those types around in fairness.
Senior intercounty football is a different ball game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Hardy on August 18, 2011, 12:40:45 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 18, 2011, 10:58:31 AMWith Dublin's population base, they could easily be competing in both codes every year. Instead, they've won one of the last 54 All Irelands.

It's worse than that - one of the last 66.

Is it Hardy? What about 1983? Less than 30 years so should be less than 60?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

heffo

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 20, 2011, 03:51:28 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 18, 2011, 10:58:31 AMWith Dublin's population base, they could easily be competing in both codes every year. Instead, they've won one of the last 54 All Irelands.

Give him a break, Maths isn't his strong point. The price of slurry is a different matter however.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 20, 2011, 12:25:19 PM

There's loads of those types around in fairness.
Senior intercounty football is a different ball game.

Definitely but he hasn't got a fair crack though either.

Hardy

It's 1995 I wouldn't be counting. Canavan's phantom pick-up, Charlie's 2 red cards - Dublin don't claim that one, just as we don't talk about Leinster 2010.

Quote from: heffo on August 20, 2011, 06:05:44 PM
Give him a break, Maths isn't his strong point. The price of slurry is a different matter however.

And commerce isn't your strong point. If you imagine people pay for slurry I have a fine bridge for sale in New York.

heffo

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2011, 07:39:20 PM

It's 1995 I wouldn't be counting. Canavan's phantom pick-up, Charlie's 2 red cards - Dublin don't claim that one, just as we don't talk about Leinster 2010.

Quote from: heffo on August 20, 2011, 06:05:44 PM

And commerce isn't your strong point. If you imagine people pay for slurry I have a fine bridge for sale in New York.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the farming industry.

Your attempt to equate '95 with last years debacle though is laughable.

Hardy

You know as much about the farming industry as I do. Your suggestion that people buy shite, though, is laughable.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Hardy on August 20, 2011, 07:54:21 PM
You know as much about the farming industry as I do. Your suggestion that people buy shite, though, is laughable.

Hah??
How about those that buy the Indo?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Hardy

Hound

Quote from: fearglasmor on August 23, 2011, 11:18:28 AM
While Dublin may have a huge population it also faces competition and social issues that just doesnt exist on the same scale for rural clubs. There is an absolute hatred of The GAA particularly in soccer circles in Dublin emanating from the days of the ban. The multiplicity of organised sports that dont exist in rural Ireland. The absence of the parish mentality in the city which is the essence of the GAA. The influx of foreign national combined with incompetent or reckless planning and development has facilitated ghetoisation that doesnt happen in rural ireland. For example  my own home club, when I made my senior football debut was playing senior 1st division. I had grown up in a very strong juvenile club being lucky enough to have winning medals at every age from 12's up to 21's. At that time the town had a population of about 7,000 and GAA competed with 2 soccer clubs and a rugby club in the main.  Today that population has more than doubled, the clubs first team will be playing intermediate 2 (thats the 4th level) and is unable to field a minor team at all. Meanwhile soccer is booming on the back of the foreign national fulled population boom who are all stuffed into disastrously designed housing developments on one side of the town where the emergency services cant get acces if one car is parked on the street because the houses are packed so closely together.

From the outside looking in, my opinion is that the "influx of foreign national combined with incompetent or reckless planning and development has facilitated ghetoisation" has absolutely nothing to do with the club being most likely in Division 4 next year.

Other GAA clubs in north county Dublin are doing pretty well on average, so it is hard to understand how there'll be 48 teams in the county ahead of your club in the league tables. But yours is one of the very unusual towns where the major soccer club seems to be far better run than the GAA club, seems to be more active in the community and has a bigger support base. And its not as if the soccer club is always successful on the pitch, but it does seem to have more money to throw around.

The recent population growth should be seen as an opportunity for the club to regain past glories rather than a threat. But it'll take time. I was up there a couple of times during the year and there does seem to be good work going on at juvenile level, and plenty of young foreign nationals playing too. I was a bit surprised the facilities at the club werent as good as most GAA clubs, considering the club's history.