New stadium for Dublin?

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 12, 2011, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Deel Rover

Quote from: INDIANA on August 17, 2011, 11:11:07 PM
We dont need any stadiums in Dublin. While other counties invested in bricks and mortar white elephants. We invested in the youth hence the reason why we're in 5 all-ireland semi this year.

Its great having stadiums. Not much use if you havent players good enough to play in them.

lets see how many finals ye win
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

INDIANA

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 17, 2011, 11:23:10 PM
We dont need any stadiums in Dublin. While other counties invested in bricks and mortar white elephants. We invested in the youth hence the reason why we're in 5 all-ireland semi this year.

Its great having stadiums. Not much use if you havent players good enough to play in them.

You do need them, its just that you built Parnell Park year ago and are in fortunate position that Croke Park is in your backyard. And its a little rich to boast about Dublin taking through the youth, if you managed to turn anything like the percentage of children in footballers that other counties manage you'd win those 5 All Irelands every year.

We dont need them and we're now among the best in both codes at senior level. Considering we're competing against a whole range of sports armagh doesnt have to we're doing very nicely.

screenexile

I agree with Indiana  :o :o :o ( I know it feels dirty). . . what possible reason do the Dubs need another stadium for?? There's loads of stadiums around the country that sit idle year round while Dublin have 2 top grounds in one County ...

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: screenexile on August 18, 2011, 12:35:30 AM
I agree with Indiana  :o :o :o ( I know it feels dirty). . . what possible reason do the Dubs need another stadium for?? There's loads of stadiums around the country that sit idle year round while Dublin have 2 top grounds in one County ...

It's not for the Dubs though. It will be a home ground for Kildare, Meath & Louth (possibly Wicklow & Westmeath too). This idea is actually so ridiculous that the brains trust down in Portlaoise will probably give it the green light.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

T Toatler

There is no doubt that the facilities in some counties are terrible and have been neglected down the years. I speak of Navan, super venue for a game, but in dire need of a facelift. Mullingar located in centre of town and downtrodden. Newbridge is possibly the worst in Leinster up there close with Drogheda. Meath spent thousands on a site between Trim and Navan which from driving past is just a site with fine pitches on it. Louth invested up near Dunleer but it will never be used for Football games and Westmeath recently developed a fine all weather facility in Mullingar which cost a mint.

Of course the Dubs dont need a new stadium but there is merit in scrapping plans, if any, to develop Navan, Newbridge, Drogheda and Mullingar and pooling resources for a central location for the four counties. Maybe somewhere like Enfield or its environs would be adequate. I think its a shame to spend a fortune on grounds that get no matches to fill them. Tullamore is a fine facility now but dependent on neutral matches to half fill it, Athletic Grounds is lovely facility and I really hope it gets the use it deserves. The money is going to get tighter over nexr short while

rrhf

I wonder where theyll put the Trophy cabinets -  Big sticker over the top of the Louth one saying Nestor cup stolen 2010.  Beside it the Meath trophy cabinet will have a cup sized bag with swag written on it, not on view to prying eyes.     

spuds

Dublin county board have been looking into building something similar to Parnell park in the south of the county for years, too much pressure on Parnell park and O'Toole park not up to scratch. Site bought in Rathcoole but not sure has anything been done there. To say that Dublin do not need another stadium is more bull and bluster from Indiana. Nothing as funny as the nouveau riche.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rossfan

Quote from: INDIANA on August 17, 2011, 11:46:44 PM

You do need them, its just that you built Parnell Park year ago and are in fortunate position that Croke Park is in your backyard. And its a little rich to boast about Dublin taking through the youth, if you managed to turn anything like the percentage of children in footballers that other counties manage you'd win those 5 All Irelands every year.

We dont need them and we're now among the best in both codes at senior level. Considering we're competing against a whole range of sports armagh doesnt have to we're doing very nicely.
Armagh have to compete with the fact that about 60% of its population aren't very well disposed to Gaelic games.
for a County with a Nationalist population of circa 50,000 they are doing quite well
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: screenexile on August 18, 2011, 12:35:30 AM

They do need 2 stadiums, fortunately for them, they were in the happy position that long before the past decade, they had developed a stadium suitable for home league matches and had the use of Croke Park. My point is that if this had not been the case, they would have had to develop stadia of their own and that it is not crediable to criticise counties like Armagh for utilising funds in the construction of a modern fit-for-purpose home ground.

All counties have to compete against other sports. With Dublin's population base, they could easily be competing in both codes every year. Instead, they've won one of the last 54 All Irelands.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

heffo

Quote from: spuds on August 18, 2011, 10:42:30 AM
Dublin county board have been looking into building something similar to Parnell park in the south of the county for years, too much pressure on Parnell park and O'Toole park not up to scratch. Site bought in Rathcoole but not sure has anything been done there. To say that Dublin do not need another stadium is more bull and bluster from Indiana. Nothing as funny as the nouveau riche.

That won't be a stadium as such - if built it'll will have a very small capacity.

The idea is that it'll be a 'centre of excellence' as such.

Canalman

All comes back to the old hoary chestnut of Tallaght Stadium. GAA was hoping it would be a municipal type stadium available for rent by the GAA for certain games. Could have been converted into a 10,000 seater stadium which imo would have suited Kildare, Wicklow, Dublin CBs and the Leinster Councils for certain games.

Alas, a certain politician didn't agree.

Crying shame it wasn't available for Dublin County Final, BBSE v Judes some years ago.

Canalman

Quote from: Rossfan on August 18, 2011, 10:49:31 AM

Armagh have to compete with the fact that about 60% of its population aren't very well disposed to Gaelic games.
for a County with a Nationalist population of circa 50,000 they are doing quite well

Jeez, we would be in dreamland here in Dublin if only 60% weren't well disposed to Gaelic Games. Reckon only 20%  interest would be our figure.
Less than 90 GAA clubs in the county of Dublin is a fairer indicator, with some of them only adult clubs with max 2 adult teams.

spuds

Quote from: Canalman on August 18, 2011, 11:44:27 AM

Jeez, we would be in dreamland here in Dublin if only 60% weren't well disposed to Gaelic Games. Reckon only 20%  interest would be our figure.
Less than 90 GAA clubs in the county of Dublin is a fairer indicator, with some of them only adult clubs with max 2 adult teams.

Most country clubs have 2 teams max, very few have more, most having a junior b team that barely train. Kilmacud Crokes, St Brigids, Na Fianna, St Peregrines have 5+ adult football teams, many others have multiple adult teams. Likes of Brigids and Crokes would have a pick for their top team that no other club in Ireland could compare with.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Dinny Breen

Likes of Brigids and Crokes would have a pick for their top team that no other club in Ireland could compare with

Even some counties..
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Canalman on August 18, 2011, 11:44:27 AM

There are 27 rugby clubs in Dublin which is actually half the number of rugby clubs in Leinster fielding up to 100 adult teams between them plus a sizeable portion of secondary schools on the South side of the city don't focus on GAA games, Blackrock College alone has close to 2000 pupils.

In Kilkenny there is one rugby club.

How many soccer clubs in Dublin? Most be close to 200, no?

Throw in other sports outside the top 4 such as Hockey, Cricket, Swimming, Golf etc etc and every child in Dublin has access to every sport in the country probably with a 5 mile radius, no other place except maybe Cork City has that competition.

So while it's easy to look at Dublin's population and say they should be this and they should be that, demographic's are only part of the story.

Looking at the age profile of Dublin's senior teams and with the talent coming through it will only take one All-Ireland win and I think we'll see Dublin football dominate over the next 10 years.

That first win is the hardest...
#newbridgeornowhere