New stadium for Dublin?

Started by Donnellys Hollow, August 12, 2011, 03:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canalman

Spuds, fully accept your point. Population size is just a lazy argument imo.

The likes of Warwickshire, London, New York, North American Board etc should be rightly ashamed of themselves by that criteria.
Antrim should be mortified  and Down should be shuffling around embarassed with their paltry 5 wins.

For every Kilmacud Crokes/St Brigids/BBSE there are at least x10 Dublin clubs battling against the odds to get mentors for teams and then in turn battling to get teams out at underage level. Very hard to compete in some areas when rival soccer clubs dangle the prospect of "trials in England" in front of young impressionable kids who will never be good enough.

Not whinging by the way, just making a counter argument to what I think will become a barstooler's Aunt Sally  argument shortly (well I hope anyway).

Hardy

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 18, 2011, 10:58:31 AMWith Dublin's population base, they could easily be competing in both codes every year. Instead, they've won one of the last 54 All Irelands.

It's worse than that - one of the last 66.

southdown

I dont see why Down should feel ashamed at all.  Most of Belfats is in Antrim.  And we also have the same problem that at least 50% of the county are Protestant.

I think 5 All Irelands is quite an achievement, more than quite a few counties in the country.

spuds

Quote from: Canalman on August 18, 2011, 12:38:59 PM
Spuds, fully accept your point. Population size is just a lazy argument imo.

The likes of Warwickshire, London, New York, North American Board etc should be rightly ashamed of themselves by that criteria.
Antrim should be mortified  and Down should be shuffling around embarassed with their paltry 5 wins.

For every Kilmacud Crokes/St Brigids/BBSE there are at least x10 Dublin clubs battling against the odds to get mentors for teams and then in turn battling to get teams out at underage level. Very hard to compete in some areas when rival soccer clubs dangle the prospect of "trials in England" in front of young impressionable kids who will never be good enough.

Not whinging by the way, just making a counter argument to what I think will become a barstooler's Aunt Sally  argument shortly (well I hope anyway).

Diffreence with Warwickshire, North American board, London etc is that Dublin's population is readily available to be influenced by the "county" team success and the promotion of the games. To a lesser extent in Down and Antrim due to cultural reasons. Massive potential in Dublin to expand the current GAA base with the new estates and housing built over last 15 years. How many clubs like Castleknock exist ? Formed in 1998, currently field 2 adult football, 2 adult hurling teams, have won a Feile national division 1 hurling title and neighbouring clubs include St Brigids and St Peregrines who have multiple teams at adult level. Great credit due to those who put in all the hard work.

Think you arguement for clubs x10 struggling for mentors for every super club like Crokes is a bit exaggerated, is a huge issue nonetheless. Country clubs have big competition now with local soccer and general non participation, when there is a limited number of kids around you often end up with a sub standard GAA team and a sub standard soccer team leading to a general decline across the board.

A good discussion by the way. Think a well run Dublin GAA is to be feared for the potential at their disposal. If the Dubs win a few AIs in the next 5 years......Dia is Muire linn !!
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Donnellys Hollow

Interesting points re the Dubs.

The volume of talent they have coming through in both codes is scary. I think they'll walk the minor football having seen them take apart Kildare. Provided they keep the right men in charge, there's no reason why they can't win multiple All-Irelands in the coming years (perish the thought!).

If anything though, their pick is probably too large. There must be a huge number of talented players that fall through the net. I only read this morning that Paddy Andrews is going off to play soccer for Monaghan United. I doubt a player of his potential would be lost in many other counties. On a similar note, I saw a lad called Gerry Seavers playing for their minors a couple of years ago who looked like a hell of a talent. In any other county, with the possible exception of Kerry, he'd have been parachuted straight into the senior setup but I saw him again earlier this summer only playing with the Dublin Juniors.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

heffo

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 18, 2011, 02:06:20 PM

The volume of talent they have coming through in both codes is scary. I think they'll walk the minor football having seen them take apart Kildare. Provided they keep the right men in charge, there's no reason why they can't win multiple All-Irelands in the coming years (perish the thought!).

If anything though, their pick is probably too large. There must be a huge number of talented players that fall through the net. I only read this morning that Paddy Andrews is going off to play soccer for Monaghan United. I doubt a player of his potential would be lost in many other counties. On a similar note, I saw a lad called Gerry Seavers playing for their minors a couple of years ago who looked like a hell of a talent. In any other county, with the possible exception of Kerry, he'd have been parachuted straight into the senior setup but I saw him again earlier this summer only playing with the Dublin Juniors.

Thats a windup about Andrews - don't believe it until you see him actually tog out for Monaghan.

Regarding Seavers, he was an outstanding Minor and got injured early in the year last year with the 21's. He was back for the Leinster final and then got injured again and couldn't get back into the team before they won the AI. He's spent some time on the Dublin panel and played some challenge games but hasn't really kicked on. Time will tell.

He was playing with the Dublin Juniors as he's from an Intermediate club and was available to the Juniors.

Tubberman

Quote from: heffo on August 18, 2011, 02:50:05 PM

Thats a windup about Andrews - don't believe it until you see him actually tog out for Monaghan.

Regarding Seavers, he was an outstanding Minor and got injured early in the year last year with the 21's. He was back for the Leinster final and then got injured again and couldn't get back into the team before they won the AI. He's spent some time on the Dublin panel and played some challenge games but hasn't really kicked on. Time will tell.

He was playing with the Dublin Juniors as he's from an Intermediate club and was available to the Juniors.

Roddy Collins was talking about him on Newstalk last night, didn't seem to be any winding going on. Said he was very fit, but hadn't the agility in his feet that the others would have for the ball control.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

muppet

The Gaa is a national organisation.

Some counties need investment more desperately than others at the moment.

I would suggest looking at the Leitrim/North Ros, Fermanagh, Cavan area if a large capital spend is up for grabs. As a Connacht man I'd vote for a major upgrade to Carrick with contractors from the aforementioned counties getting priority but I'd have no issue with Fermanagh or Cavan either.

Yes I realise the point is a small/medium size stadium for Dublin.
MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: Tubberman on August 18, 2011, 02:53:53 PM

Roddy Collins was talking about him on Newstalk last night, didn't seem to be any winding going on. Said he was very fit, but hadn't the agility in his feet that the others would have for the ball control.

Well Roddy is a very credible source, so I'm willing to take anything he says at face value.

Seriously though, I'll believe it when I see it. Andrews hasn't played soccer in years.

heffo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/andrews-denies-soccer-link-2852795.html

cornafean

I only read this morning that Paddy Andrews is going off to play soccer for Monaghan United. I doubt a player of his potential would be lost in many other counties.

Hmmm... 
Martin Clarke?
Tommy Walsh?
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

muppet

Quote from: cornafean on August 19, 2011, 12:02:33 PM
I only read this morning that Paddy Andrews is going off to play soccer for Monaghan United. I doubt a player of his potential would be lost in many other counties.

Hmmm... 
Martin Clarke?
Tommy Walsh?

Pearse Hanley.
MWWSI 2017

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: cornafean on August 19, 2011, 12:02:33 PM

Hmmm... 
Martin Clarke?
Tommy Walsh?

Bit of a difference. Both Clarke and Walsh were key players for their respective counties. Andrews on the other hand seems to have be consistently overlooked by the Dublin management. The Monaghan story might be bullshit, but it would be no surprise if his head was being turned by a soccer club because of his lack of opportunities with the Dubs.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Never understood why Dublin fans rate Andrews so highly to be honest.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2011, 03:06:53 PM
Never understood why Dublin fans rate Andrews so highly to be honest.

Top class Minor, u21, Sigerson and club player.

Has never been given a chance in the corner for Dublin.