Premier League Thread 2011/2012

Started by Orangemac, August 07, 2011, 11:42:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Dipping in and out of games over the weekend and the standard of refereeing is just getting worse and worse.
#newbridgeornowhere

Boycey

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 14, 2011, 05:29:13 PM
Dipping in and out of games over the weekend and the standard of refereeing is just getting worse and worse.

Or the level of analysis and punditary just gets greater? I've a bee in my bonnet about this both in GAA and soccer, some smug fecker sits in a studio and watches something 10 times in ultra slow motion and then says "that a shocking decision".

I reckon refereeing is as good or bad as its ever been, there are just more "experts" telling us about it now...

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Boycey on August 14, 2011, 06:38:05 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 14, 2011, 05:29:13 PM

Or the level of analysis and punditary just gets greater? I've a bee in my bonnet about this both in GAA and soccer, some smug fecker sits in a studio and watches something 10 times in ultra slow motion and then says "that a shocking decision".

I reckon refereeing is as good or bad as its ever been, there are just more "experts" telling us about it now...

I know what you saying but it's not even at that level, just some decisions were just so incorrect you didn't need a replay.
#newbridgeornowhere

magpie seanie

The ones that really surprise me with their regularity are the likes of throws given the wrong way or corners/goal kicks given incorrectly. I mean if they're obvious to me on my couch at home surely the officials should spot them? Its not like its an odd one here and there.

laoislad

Aguero is gonna be some signing for City.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

ross4life

Can't remember a better debut? only 30mins as well. If City keep Tevez they will have some forward line
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Carmen Stateside

That was pretty impressive! some debut.  City looked good second half.  Poor Swansea was always going to be tough for them.  At least they can say they have a better keeper than Man Utd.

Rossie11

Quote from: ross4life on August 15, 2011, 09:56:03 PM
Can't remember a better debut? only 30mins as well. If City keep Tevez they will have some forward line
If they rid of him they will have some forward line!! Too disruptive and too greedy for that team.
Better off without him

EC Unique

Right lads. 5 games in. What do you think? Top 3 look very strong and will prob finish as the top 3. The battle for 4th will be interesting with 3 or 4 teams possible. Arsenal off to a shocker, will they recover? Liverpool solid start but starting to slip. Spurs getting better with every game. Everton in 7th place sitting on 7 points with only 4 games played worth a mention.

Spurs are my favorites for 4th.

AQMP

Although they played very well against Man Utd (3-0 at half time was very flattering) I don't think Chelsea will seriously threaten this year EC.  It will take a right few games for new players and manager to settle in but if Vilas-Boas can put his stamp on the team then they might do something good next season.  I think Mata could turn into a good buy.  Thon Bleakley doll has obviously been sapping Lampard's strength as he has looked a shadow of the player he was.  Cech has not been the keeper he was before the fractured skull.  I like the look of Spurs if they can hold on to Modric in January then they could be a good bet to finish in the top 3.  Otherwise the two Manchesters to contest first and second.  I thought Liverpool could do something but so far they still flatter to deceive and though Suarez is a good player, I'm not convinced about Carroll.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: AQMP on September 21, 2011, 11:50:08 AM
Although they played very well against Man Utd (3-0 at half time was very flattering) I don't think Chelsea will seriously threaten this year EC.  It will take a right few games for new players and manager to settle in but if Vilas-Boas can put his stamp on the team then they might do something good next season.  I think Mata could turn into a good buy.  Thon Bleakley doll has obviously been sapping Lampard's strength as he has looked a shadow of the player he was.  Cech has not been the keeper he was before the fractured skull.  I like the look of Spurs if they can hold on to Modric in January then they could be a good bet to finish in the top 3.  Otherwise the two Manchesters to contest first and second.  I thought Liverpool could do something but so far they still flatter to deceive and though Suarez is a good player, I'm not convinced about Carroll.

Agree with most of that. I think AVB will need a good season or two to turn Chelsea back to a genuine top class side me thinks. However we'll not be a million miles off winning the league this year, and we'll have our say in matters. Think City, and United will be 3 or 4 points too strong.

4th could be anyones at the minute.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

EC Unique

3 or 4 points would be doing well for Chelsea IMO. That would leave them in the race right until the last day which I don't think will happen.The battle for 4th is going to be the most interesting battle in the league I think. Should be an exciting season.

ross4life

Abramovich doesn't have patience so AVB has to deliver the PL or CL this season or he will be out the door. I still feel Chelsea will be United's biggest challengers this season they have a solid enough keeper good defence with great back up creative,powerful in midfield & in the forward line they have the potential to be free scoring plus they have lots of title race experience. City have huge squad but playing in the CL is a new experience & will drop more points than the Chelsea,Man united.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Farrandeelin

I thought Liverpool could be genuine contenders at the beginning of the season to be honest. They may come good yet when Gerrard comes back from injury but that loss to Spurs at the weekend must be a bit of a shock to their fans. Don't know about United myself yet - they have only played 1 tough game (Chelsea) and by the sounds of things despite going 3-0 up could have ended up losing or drawing. Shock so far is Arsenal's woes.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orangemac

United have improved from last year and should hold off City in 2nd. Chelsea have slipped back a bit although would agree Mata is a good buy. Terry and Lampard are not the players they were and Bosingwa is still a liability. They will still come 3rd.

4th is probably looking the most interesting. Would be between Spurs and Liverpool at the minute but Arsenal are bound to improve on their current form enough to push for fourth.

It's a pity Everton have no money to spend as we could have made a real push for 4th this year with 2 or 3 good signings.

As for relegation promoted sides have started reasonably well and outside top 6 anyone can beat anyone.