Tyrone - Is this the end?

Started by Orangemac, August 07, 2011, 10:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

magpie seanie

Didn't they say the same about Swift in commentary - that he didn't play underage for Tyrone?

turk

Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2011, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2011, 01:39:18 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2011, 01:02:29 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 08, 2011, 12:58:36 AM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2011, 12:25:33 AM

In the last 50 years only 5 teams have won 3 AIs with the same nucleus of a team so for that alone Tyrone should be remembered.

That's an interesting one. To save me the bother of looking it up, can you list them?

dublin
meath
kerry
tyrone
down

I can only take a wild guess that Galway's 3 in a row team is one of them. Not 100% on that though.
Galway would be one of them but you couldn't really include Meath as how many from 1988 were there in 1996? 2 or 3?

There was a fair gap between 1961 and 1968 with Down but a fair few of them were still around I think.

On the subject of back to backs did Offaly not win 2 in a row around 1971/1972? Of all teams of the last 50 years they receive no mention at all even the 1982 Offaly team are more heralded nationally , more to the circumstances of their win I suppose.

Correct - 71 and 72 and lost the semi final in 1973

tyrone86

Correct, neither Swift nor Ricey played minor or u21 for the county. Mark Donnelly didn't make the minors in 2000 but was a panelist on the team that got to the u21 final in 03. Conor Gormley didn't make the minor panel in 1998 and Phillip Jordan was a sub that got very little football on the 98 AI winning team however both played in the 2001 under 21 winning side.

tyronebhoy

It's slightly understandable if not ideal that those players who won minor and U21 All-Irelands get first pick at Senior level due to them being around the squads for long periods and having proved at underage that they are good footballers.

Perhaps if Tyrone's minors and U21s weren't as successful, others who didn't get a look in at underage might have had a better chance of making the senior panel.

snippets

A good point.  Without Mickey at minor level and under 21 level less has come through.  There are people here calling for Hartes head - incredible.  I would actually make him a director of football overseeing management through under 16 to senior level within Tyrone ensuring our players know why they are in these squads, and how they can progress to senior.   
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

tyronebhoy

Quote from: snippets on August 08, 2011, 01:51:22 PM
A good point.  Without Mickey at minor level and under 21 level less has come through.  There are people here calling for Hartes head - incredible.  I would actually make him a director of football overseeing management through under 16 to senior level within Tyrone ensuring our players know why they are in these squads, and how they can progress to senior.   

I would say when Mickey does give up the senior team management, there will be a job for him at Garvaghey overseeing some sort of youth development.  That is if he wants it.

AZOffaly

Quote from: turk on August 08, 2011, 12:59:22 PM
Quote from: Orangemac on August 08, 2011, 12:42:49 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 08, 2011, 01:39:18 AM

In the last 50 years only 5 teams have won 3 AIs with the same nucleus of a team so for that alone Tyrone should be remembered.

That's an interesting one. To save me the bother of looking it up, can you list them?

dublin
meath
kerry
tyrone
down

I can only take a wild guess that Galway's 3 in a row team is one of them. Not 100% on that though.
Galway would be one of them but you couldn't really include Meath as how many from 1988 were there in 1996? 2 or 3?

There was a fair gap between 1961 and 1968 with Down but a fair few of them were still around I think.

On the subject of back to backs did Offaly not win 2 in a row around 1971/1972? Of all teams of the last 50 years they receive no mention at all even the 1982 Offaly team are more heralded nationally , more to the circumstances of their win I suppose.

Correct - 71 and 72 and lost the semi final in 1973

And Seanie Lowry and Seamus Darby bridged the gap to 1982 as well.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Harte to give it another year
08 August 2011

Mickey Harte has said that he intends to stay on as Tyrone manager next season.

Speculation has mounted that the three-time All-Ireland winning boss could step down after his side's quarter-final defeat to Dublin at the weekend, but he has confirmed that he wants to stay in charge of the Red Hands for a 10th season in 2012.

"I'm there until next year anyway," Harte stated. "There's no contract or anything else, but I agreed to go on for another year, not this year, but a few years ago.

"I don't see any reason why that would change."

However, Harte does admit that he expects to be minus the services of a few of his veterans next year but does not believe that there will be wholesale changes from the team which started against the Dubs last Saturday night.

"There's always change in every squad every year," he said. "I think people are thinking a wee bit narrowly to say this is a team that's going to disappear all in one go.

"That's not the case. There are players that will be near the end of their careers and they'll make the decision that's right for them. But there'll be no wholesale turnover as you look through the team that started, there's not that many elder statesmen. Leave everybody to make their own decisions in their own time.

"But it is inevitable that people who have been playing at the top level for 10, 11 or 12 years, they may have to consider what they're doing. This is not the time to do that and I would certainly respect them enough to make their own minds up on things like that."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=153050
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

PAULD123

In my opinion this absolutely is the end of the road for this great Tyrone side. In my opinion this is absolutely not the end of the road for Tyrone as a powerful football county.

Dooher, Mulligan, O'Neill, Hughes and possibly Gormley are now no longer able to be relied on at the highest level. They are however more than capable of contributing to teams that are built around other players and shouldn't be written off just yet. But although I think too much is made of under-age success in the county, Tyrone have a current sustained production of young talent. This year alone Harry Og produced superb displays for St pats.

The first primary task in front of Tyrone is to get out of Division 2. In doing so they need to also start with several young players and allow them to play virtually every game. I don't agree it will help their cause to bring in players sporadically and for varying cameo performances. That just tells the players that they are only considered as back up to the established players. I think they need to start at least 4-5 new players, start them in every game, and make it clear that they are the players that now must take responsibility. Okay the established players could be brought on to help out and close out games, but the responsibility must now be given to and taken by the younger players.

From what I see, a cohesive organised team is more important than individual talent. If Tyrone put together a team of their young talent and can get then used to playing with each other week in week out, then a couple of championship victories would allow them the confidence to challenge at the top level. Gaelic is not like soccer, confidence and belief is so much more important. In any year a team as fit and organised as Tyrone could always threaten.

Look at Donegal who have this season suddenly found confidence, belief in the system, and a settled formation. The result is that they have gone from average to potential contenders.

blanketattack

dublin
meath
kerry
tyrone
down

Kerry '62'69'70
Kerry '75'78'79'80'81
Kerry '84'85'86
Kerry '97'00'04
Kerry '06'07'09

nrico2006

Quote from: PAULD123 on August 08, 2011, 03:34:25 PM
In my opinion this absolutely is the end of the road for this great Tyrone side. In my opinion this is absolutely not the end of the road for Tyrone as a powerful football county.

Dooher, Mulligan, O'Neill, Hughes and possibly Gormley are now no longer able to be relied on at the highest level. They are however more than capable of contributing to teams that are built around other players and shouldn't be written off just yet. But although I think too much is made of under-age success in the county, Tyrone have a current sustained production of young talent. This year alone Harry Og produced superb displays for St pats.

The first primary task in front of Tyrone is to get out of Division 2. In doing so they need to also start with several young players and allow them to play virtually every game. I don't agree it will help their cause to bring in players sporadically and for varying cameo performances. That just tells the players that they are only considered as back up to the established players. I think they need to start at least 4-5 new players, start them in every game, and make it clear that they are the players that now must take responsibility. Okay the established players could be brought on to help out and close out games, but the responsibility must now be given to and taken by the younger players.

From what I see, a cohesive organised team is more important than individual talent. If Tyrone put together a team of their young talent and can get then used to playing with each other week in week out, then a couple of championship victories would allow them the confidence to challenge at the top level. Gaelic is not like soccer, confidence and belief is so much more important. In any year a team as fit and organised as Tyrone could always threaten.

Look at Donegal who have this season suddenly found confidence, belief in the system, and a settled formation. The result is that they have gone from average to potential contenders.

Regarding your Donegal example, I agree entirely.  People are deluded if they think it will take Tyrone a long time to challenge again.  Look at Dublin, it was only 2009 that they were tanked by Kerry and look how they have turned it around by freshening things up.  Thats what needs to happen in Tyrone.  Tyrone have as good as if not better talent in the county as both Donegal and Dublin.  Whether its time for Mickey Harte to really go to town and hold trials to identify players that might not previously have been on the radar for whatever reason (late bloomer, not on any Minor/Schools teams before, from unfashionable area).  It might even be a case that Tyrone need to start increasing the frequency of their training sessions, or go twice a day for a period of time.  In recent years Tyrone have placed less focus on the League and also on seriously hard fitness training as it was becoming harder to maintain the freshness in the legs of players who had been doing this for years.  But look back at the 2003 team and the fitness levels and intensity the players had then.  Its only natural that a player cannot keep at that level for 10 years.  Is it any coincidence that Tyrone started to become successful off the back of the League success, qhere a lot of young players were thrown into League football together and over a couple of years the team was allowed to develop.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bennydorano

I think you may be deluded if you think it's an easy thing to achieve (restructuring, rebuilding and competing for AI's - not for Leagues or Ulsters). Mickey Harte has achieved something incredible with Tyrone, that doesn't necessarily make him the best man to take on the new challenge that lies ahead.  As much respect as I have for the man I get the feeling that a new man would be a better option for the job that lies ahead.

Aaron Boone

Tyrone have been in finals in the last three decades, so they have rebuilt before.