Donegal v Dublin semi final 28-8-11

Started by Blowitupref, August 07, 2011, 03:05:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TacadoirArdMhacha

As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Hill16 Blues

Don't know what game you were watching - he didn't touch his face. Pushed his hands into Boyle's neck.

seafoid

Hurling will never be destroyed by smothering. The problem with fuball is that anyone can play it.  You don't even need to be able to kick points these days. 

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 29, 2011, 05:41:07 AM
Quote from: J70 on August 29, 2011, 05:14:34 AM
Very disappointed we didn't win the game, but Dublin were that bit fitter than us and took advantage in the last fifteen when we were out on our feet and starting to make a lot of mistakes. You have to admire the way Dublin kept at it and kept their composure when nothing was working for them earlier in the game and we were looking the much more likely winners (would like to see them win it now). Losing Lacey and McFadden's goal chance were the big turning points for us, but Dublin lost important players too. Their subs worked though and ours didn't. Once they got ahead, I knew it was over as we just didn't look to have the energy or leadership in Lacey's absence to create any openings. No complaints though. We've had a great year, given the depths we plummeted in Crossmaglen. Whether we can develop more of an attacking threat in the future remains to be seen. We certainly have one top class forward to build around, but we can't keep sacrificing him for our midfield weaknesses. Whatever happens, I hope McGuinness continues to have the courage of his convictions. If people are that worried about the 'future of our game' then change the fuckin' rules.
Face it J, and speaking for almost everyone outside of Donegal...Ye were utter shite and thon dismal display deserved that result !

Don't think we were dismal... just not good enough. I fully accept and understand your distaste for the defensive nature of Donegal's play but that's just aesthetics (although I do wonder where the line of acceptability lies amidst all the media hysteria... was Dublin's version ok? Tyrone's or Armagh's when they invented it? Would it have been ok if Donegal threw more men forward like they did against Derry?) Of course I would never try to defend something like Boyle apparently going to ground Rivaldo-style. Cheats should be punished, and severely, but rarely are as the tv cameras only pick up a tiny minority of transgressions.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2011, 02:19:12 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 29, 2011, 02:01:41 PM
Indiana no Dublin player was kicked in the head (I'm presuming you're referring to O'Carroll).
He took a shin around his collarbone area as the Donegal lad ran in to tackle him.
There was no kicking action so you can cross that off your list of outrages.
Lads that are kicked in the head generally don't get up and play on for another few minutes.
peter canavan managed to play on in 1996  all ireland semi so you are completely wrong there. he was very nearly concussed jinxy and thats directly from the dublin medical staff. its like a casualty ward. flynn and o carroll are doubtful for the final. factor in connollys abscence and its looking like kerrys to lose.

Peter Canavan wasn't kicked in the head either though.
In fact, he wasn't even fouled.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

dublin7

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2011, 02:42:06 PM

Have you even looked at the incident? There is a clear "push / strike / punch" to the face.

Harmless admittedly but its a red card offence.

I have seen it & I can tell you he never touched his face. Shoulder yes, face no.

It can't be that clear if you can't decide beteween shove/strike/punch & admit it was harmless. Boyle's playacting far more disgraceful

Jinxy

Quote from: Hill16 Blues on August 29, 2011, 02:47:18 PM
Don't know what game you were watching - he didn't touch his face. Pushed his hands into Boyle's neck.

Is his fist open or closed?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: INDIANA on August 29, 2011, 01:21:35 PM
feigning injury to get a man sent off. the lowest of the low.
diving like many of the donegal players yesterday
a manager running onto the pitch to get another sent off
kicking a player in the head
another stamping on our best forward after 40sec to try to put him out of the game
do i have to go on?
if that qualifies as enthralling people need to get out more.
i played a hard game but i never indulged in that shite.its not being a hard ma either its pure cowardice.
factor in their rancid style of football and you have the complete package.
i think the donegal players will revolt eventually. dont anybody attempt to bracket tyrone as being donegal lite. tyrone played football donegal dont.

the bottom line is mc guinness never believed he could win that game yesterdayand set it accordingly. he was shown up to be an average coach with no plan b. the hilarious thing was watching donegal two points down and playing one man up front.
Indy - you didnt asnwer the question - did you foul (pull , push etc)?
Also what you have described above apart from maybe the Manager trying to get someone sent off- well Dublin have been as guilty in the past of the same thing.
I take it you were equally as disgusted when Dublin did it then?
Certainly I dont like when my own team do it and I dont condone that kind of play.

I think you are incorrect when you think McGuinness thought he couldnt win yesterday. They (Donegal) possibly should have even with the lack of attacks attempted, they had the best chances to score and as mentioned earlier, the first three of Dublins scored frees were in all honesty were more dubious than the last one awarded to beat kildare !!

The Donegal style is not lovely flowing football. It is effective. It is not 'ilegal' though.
Those without sin cast the first stone etc etc. Dublin and almost every other county in the country except Carlow perhaps, are guilty of some degree of persistent fouling or foul play/tactics.
Dublin should be happy they got out of this by the skin of their teeth. It was a fantastic victory and imo sets them up to win the AIF (barring severe berves fecking them up).

Jinxy

I'll make it quite simple.
If Connolly kicked Boyle in the stomach and Boyle went down holding his face, Connolly should still be sent off.
The dive happens after the offence.
The fact that Connolly struck close enough to Boyles head/neck that he could get away with going down holding his face tells you everything you need to know about his head for the big occasion.
He seriously let his team down.

TacadoirArdMhacha

15 seconds into the video Connolly strikes Boyle with a closed fist to his chin with relatively little force. He then delivers a similar blow to Boyle's shoulder. Boyle then falls down in a completely exaggerated manner to try to get Connolly sent off.

Proper sanctions - Red card to Connolly, Yellow card to Boyle.

ross matt

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2011, 02:46:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaI1PDU2xw

Incident begins about 13 seconds in. Its a red card.

FFS he pushed him in the shoulder with his fists closed and the Donegal player paused and then hit the deck clutching his face. What a cheat. In a game that was foul ridden that was a yellow card at best and both of them should have got one.

Jinxy

Quote from: dublin7 on August 29, 2011, 02:50:56 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2011, 02:42:06 PM

Have you even looked at the incident? There is a clear "push / strike / punch" to the face.

Harmless admittedly but its a red card offence.

I have seen it & I can tell you he never touched his face. Shoulder yes, face no.

It can't be that clear if you can't decide beteween shove/strike/punch & admit it was harmless. Boyle's playacting far more disgraceful

He did you a favour.
Connolly is capable of doing something just as stupid in an All Ireland final.
He can't be trusted in a big game.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ross matt on August 29, 2011, 03:01:19 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on August 29, 2011, 02:46:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRaI1PDU2xw

Incident begins about 13 seconds in. Its a red card.

FFS he pushed him in the shoulder with his fists closed and the Donegal player paused and then hit the deck clutching his face. What a cheat. In a game that was foul ridden that was a yellow card at best and both of them should have got one.

That's the second of two action from Connolly. The first one is a closed fist to the face. Red card.

highorlow

QuoteFFS he pushed him in the shoulder with his fists closed and the Donegal player paused and then hit the deck clutching his face. What a cheat. In a game that was foul ridden that was a yellow card at best and both of them should have got one. 

The only diving Boyle will do now is in a pub in Muff.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

screenexile

It is clear to see Connolly struck . . . the degree of force is debatable and Boyle's dive was scandallous but Connolly deserved to go just for being stupid enough to raise his hands.

As for the holier than thou attitude of the Dubs and how they play beautifully and don't goad players or dive or do anything untoward all I have to say is . . .  PAUL CASEY!!

Whatever about all those things being wrong and the fact they shouldn't happen every successful team has at least one player who is masterful in the dark arts and the Dubs are no different!!