Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

I can't wait for the next Rugby World Cup.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: J OGorman on October 23, 2011, 12:35:16 PM
Some codswallop on here about NZ deserving it because they were the best overall. Both teams got to the final, France should have won but for the ref. Lost count the amount of times NZ were infringing, offside, tackling high. Phase after phase @ the end, NZ out on their feet and miraculously didn't concede a peno. Commentators saying how disciplined they are, balls, the ref was never ever gonna give France a chance to kick the winning points.

NZ play right on the edge of what's legal, in 80 mins of high intensity rugby they only give away 1 (half) kickable penalty? Like sh1t they did

Missing the rugby already

Refs were hand picked by a Kiwi for these matches, should we suspected anything else. France deserved a chance to win it at the end and they were denied it, refereeing in the comp just not good enough.
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

Just watched the highlights on Setanta. Joubert was even worse than I thought on first viewing this morning. How a penalty wasn't given against Kaino towards the end, quickly followed by Conrad Smith running a mile offside beggars belief.

Best team lost today. Best team overall won the tournament.

NAG1

What a completely woeful tournament from start to finish.

Why not just the play the winners of the tri (quad) nations against the 6 nations champions every couple of years and be done with it, instead of this drawn out waste of time.

sammymaguire

Quote from: NAG1 on October 24, 2011, 09:51:39 AM

Why not just the play the winners of the tri (quad) nations against the 6 nations champions every couple of years and be done with it, instead of this drawn out waste of time.

Think we should do this with hurling and football All-Ireland's too? 6 or 8 teams in each?   
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

blewuporstuffed

i enjoyed the tournament thsi year, thought it was excellent with some very good games, but there you go, each to their own
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

thejuice

Maybe it was the timing of games being on before 9am, but it was largely forgettable to me. Wales brought some life to it but that's all.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Just_Browsing

Does anyone know does Carter get a Winners Medal? 

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 24, 2011, 10:41:29 AM
He collected his medal with the rest of the team yeaterday - well deserved too - best out half in world rugby for some time now.

highorlow

Did anyone notice the hit Rougerie had on Conrad Smith in the last few phases of the game. Smith was out of it and I'd say he was in a daze even receiving his medal! Tis some brutal game.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

J OGorman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 24, 2011, 10:03:50 AM

i enjoyed the tournament thsi year, thought it was excellent with some very good games, but there you go, each to their own

I also enjoyed it. There will always be mismatches but the gap is closing and for 2nd, 3rd level nations, they need the RWC and its qualifying to help with their development and the games popularity.

Not 100% sure, but did it not take France 6 or 7 years to win a match in the 5 nations? Italy are on the up. Hopefully Argentina will show with can compete in next years 'quad' nations. USA are starting to produce very good players etc. However, for the likes of Fiji, Somoa etc, they really need to be allowed to hold onto their best players and not represent the All-Black team, or should that be New Zealand and South Sea Island select

Just_Browsing

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on October 24, 2011, 10:47:36 AM
Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 24, 2011, 10:41:29 AM
He collected his medal with the rest of the team yeaterday - well deserved too - best out half in world rugby for some time now.
Missed that as went back to bed after the game. :)  Def well deserved tho - class act and played in Pool stages so was thinking he should get one.  For him personally though probably a bit like Keane with Champions League 1999 - never means as much when your not actually playing.

ludermor

Quote from: J OGorman on October 24, 2011, 11:18:21 AM
However, for the likes of Fiji, Somoa etc, they really need to be allowed to hold onto their best players and not represent the All-Black team, or should that be New Zealand and South Sea Island select
Are the majority of these player not already born in New Zealand or Australia??

Capt Pat

Quote from: ludermor on October 24, 2011, 12:00:04 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on October 24, 2011, 11:18:21 AM
However, for the likes of Fiji, Somoa etc, they really need to be allowed to hold onto their best players and not represent the All-Black team, or should that be New Zealand and South Sea Island select
Are the majority of these player not already born in New Zealand or Australia??

Quade Cooper is a New Zealander who played for the Aussies. There seems to be a lot of players who were born in one place whete they lived for a few years as a child and then moved on. They seem to move around a lot down there.

Declan

Saw a clip of Donald's penalty where it looked like it went wide! Also IRB have fined France for advancing on the haka- they can't be serious can they?