Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on October 28, 2011, 09:45:00 PM
Quote from: trileacman on October 28, 2011, 09:39:17 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on October 28, 2011, 05:48:22 PM
"What an enthralling final it had absolutely everything. " according to the announcer on Setanta Sports. It was a a mess of a final with a brutal last ten minutes. New Zealand held the ball for the last 5. They really need to change the rules so that teams can't burn up the clock like that in tight games
Can't agree Pat, What can they do? Hand the ball over and say "here lads you wana have a go". You can't force them into conceding possession with a kick or playing risky manoeuvres like garyowen's or wide passes.
I didn't like to see it either but there was plenty of infringements if there was impartial ref there to see it. It happens in nearly all field sports, running to the corner flag in soccer/passing along your 45 in GAA.

this team has had 4+ years of shit. They were winning that game if it was 3-0 after 1 minute  and holding the ball the remaining 79 mins, never mind 5 mins !

as they say in the premier league every week, it's a results business.

The climax of the game is ruined by this rubbish. They have made it too easy to keep the ball at the end. It wasn't always possible to close out games this way. Why not change back to the old rules?

Capt Pat

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2011, 11:06:12 AM
Ding Dong Johnson's Gone!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2062189/Martin-Johnson-quits-England.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Shit England will be good now. Johnson didn't have a f**king clue how to be a top level coach. Parachuted in for winning a world cup as a player.

Denn Forever

His appointment seemed more in hope than in reason.

How did Sir Clive do in the 1999 world cup?  Could they be jettisoning him too soon?  He did win the 6 nations this year.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Capt Pat on November 16, 2011, 03:11:01 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2011, 11:06:12 AM
Ding Dong Johnson's Gone!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2062189/Martin-Johnson-quits-England.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Shit England will be good now. Johnson didn't have a f**king clue how to be a top level coach. Parachuted in for winning a world cup as a player.

Eddie O'Sullivan quit the USA today too, i wonder.............. ;D
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Denn Forever

Well, look what Warren did for Wales...
means what he says...

Denn Forever

Martin showed good judgement getting out when he did.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jINjFapbbjPYSpvi0tbzxNkwe6Og?docId=N0025241322036132570A

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/international/england/8908818/Englands-Rugby-World-Cup-shambles-laid-bare-as-leaked-report-blames-greedy-players-and-weak-leaders.html

England's Rugby World Cup shambles laid bare as leaked report blames greedy players and weak leaders
Lewis Moody was inadequate, Martin Johnson lacked "b*****", the coaches were laughably inept, and the players were greedy and immature. These are the explosive revelations revealed by a leaked report into England's shambolic Rugby World Cup campaign.
means what he says...

muppet

This caught my eye:

"Ireland had been in there [the Altitude Bar in Queenstown] and were much worse, but I think they might have taken the press with them."
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

The bit I don't get in all these inquests, furores and soul searching is that, in my opinion, England achieved exactly what they should have this World Cup. Whatever is up with their national development structures, the only player of genuine flair to arrive on the English scene since their RWC victory was Cipriani, who's a bit nuts.

Each of the four semi-finalists were better teams than England, as were each of the other quarter-finalists. So Johnson and co delivered exactly what the team was capable off imho. The RWC wasn't a disaster for England. An eye-opener perhaps, but not a disaster.