Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

So the good news is tyat Best is not yet out of the tournament. He has a sprained ac joint in his right shoulder and is a doubt for the Wales match.

Thinking positively hopefully he will be back for the Semi Final.

Apparently the Irish are the most popular other team with the New Zealand public. I think they are beginning to light up to the fact that Ireland could get to the final and we have never beaten New Zealand. The perfect combo for the All Blacks.

ludermor

Quote from: Hardy on October 03, 2011, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 03, 2011, 09:05:40 AM
Should be a great game this weekend.  Think it will be very close so was wondering what happens in the result of a draw at end of 80 mins?  is in extra time and still draw the penalties kick out?

1. Extra time - following an interval of 5 minutes, extra time of 10 minutes each way (with an interval of 5 minutes) shall be played in full;

2. Sudden death - if the scores are tied at the conclusion of extra time, and following an interval of 5 minutes, then a further extra time of 10 minutes maximum shall be played. During this period the first team to score any points shall be declared the winner (sudden death);

3. Kicking competition - if after this sudden death period no winner can be declared, a kicking competition will be organised between the two teams. The winner of that competition shall be declared the winner of the match.
The kicking competition looks like fun.  http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/tournamentrules/
Im pretty sure one of the English competitions were decided by a kickoff in the last couple of years.

Hardy

Quote from: ludermor on October 03, 2011, 01:13:24 PM
Should be a great game this weekend.  Think it will be very close so was wondering what happens in the result of a draw at end of 80 mins?  is in extra time and still draw the penalties kick out?

1. Extra time - following an interval of 5 minutes, extra time of 10 minutes each way (with an interval of 5 minutes) shall be played in full;

2. Sudden death - if the scores are tied at the conclusion of extra time, and following an interval of 5 minutes, then a further extra time of 10 minutes maximum shall be played. During this period the first team to score any points shall be declared the winner (sudden death);

3. Kicking competition - if after this sudden death period no winner can be declared, a kicking competition will be organised between the two teams. The winner of that competition shall be declared the winner of the match.
The kicking competition looks like fun.  http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/tournamentrules/
Im pretty sure one of the English competitions were decided by a kickoff in the last couple of years.

I didn't know it had been done before - Leicester v. Cardiff, Heineken Cup SF, 2009

muppet

Quote from: Hardy on October 03, 2011, 01:52:30 PM
Quote from: ludermor on October 03, 2011, 01:13:24 PM

I didn't know it had been done before - Leicester v. Cardiff, Heineken Cup SF, 2009

If that happens I expect we will have O'Gara, Sexton and Wallace as the front row.
MWWSI 2017

ardtole

I think I saw the draw fro the wales game is 20/1 it seemed very generous

sans pessimism

"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"

Just_Browsing

Building nicely for the weekend - see the guy Sherry getting flew out as cover for Best - he'll have to stay in diff hotel, etc from the Squad unless he is made an official member - be nice enough though - get your flights paid out to NZ for you, there in time for a World Cup Semi Final, Tickets to matches and accomodation paid for - its like an RTE competition prize he's won...   :D

AQMP

Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 04, 2011, 11:36:00 AM
Building nicely for the weekend - see the guy Sherry getting flew out as cover for Best - he'll have to stay in diff hotel, etc from the Squad unless he is made an official member - be nice enough though - get your flights paid out to NZ for you, there in time for a World Cup Semi Final, Tickets to matches and accomodation paid for - its like an RTE competition prize he's won...   :D

IMHO of the teams left, apart from SA and NZ, Wales is the most difficulty opponent.  I'd much rather be playing Eng, Fra, Arg or the Aussies at this stage.  Wales have flown a bit under the radar.  This is no foregone conclusion.

Just_Browsing

Quote from: AQMP on October 04, 2011, 11:49:35 AM

IMHO of the teams left, apart from SA and NZ, Wales is the most difficulty opponent.  I'd much rather be playing Eng, Fra, Arg or the Aussies at this stage.  Wales have flown a bit under the radar.  This is no foregone conclusion.

Yes that was a mis-type on my behalf - meant to say in time for a Quarter Final (he is due to land Thur).  Also very worried about Wales - scoring very heavily and probably came out of the hardest group in competition and arguably should have won it (hooks penalty was it wasnt it) but hopefully Ireland can come through a tough test.

mc_grens

Absolutely agree.

muppet

Remember USA 94' when we beat Italy?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Aussies make the semi or further.
MWWSI 2017

Hardy

J OGorman

Quote from: mc_grens on October 04, 2011, 12:16:04 PM

Absolutely agree.

agree with that. It's going to take a monumental effort to beat the Welsh on Sat.

Re England, they have no chance of winning the thing or even getting to the final. the only chance they had was by kicking their way to the final, and from what they have showed so far, signs dont look good. Scotland (who are fairly brock @ present) where 5 yards away from taking an unassailable lead fornenst them at the weekend

Mon te fcuk Ireland

screenexile

What's the craic with Tuilangi and his mouthguard. Can anyone tell if it was a 'sponsored' mouthguard or a 'branded' mouthguard.

One would tell me that he did it on purpose and the other would be an easy enough mistake to make! Although to be fair it shouldn't really happen in the proffessional era!

Capt Pat

Same team against the Welsh.Though Bests fitness is still up in the air. I would have played Sexton instead of O Gara as I don't anticipate this game being decide on penalties.