Rugby World Cup 2011

Started by Dinny Breen, August 04, 2011, 11:39:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt Pat

Cronin can't throw into the lineout so I don't knoe how he can have a pro rugby career. He is good enough in the loose and I am not sure about the scrum. Varley is a good all rounder as far as I know and I would play him.

Dubh driocht

Captain Pat, it mightn't be the end of the world but it's a serious blow. Rory might not always pick out the perfect lineout throw but he was an intergral part of a mighty front row which has been the talk of the tournament- his loose play has been excellent also and remember he scored our second try of the campaign. Apart from all of that he is a massive presence in the squad. He is the leader of the formidable four Ulstermen who have been at the top of their games so far-Ferris, Bowe and Trimble.
However, any team with Ross and the Four Ohs (Driscoll,Connell,Gara,Brien) can't be ruled out but I'd be pretty sure Kidney would have preferred a poor victory and a fit Rory than the situation he finds himself in.Still, quiet night in next Friday.

mc_grens

Quote from: Dubh driocht on October 02, 2011, 05:09:38 PM
Captain Pat, it mightn't be the end of the world but it's a serious blow. Rory might not always pick out the perfect lineout throw but he was an intergral part of a mighty front row which has been the talk of the tournament- his loose play has been excellent also and remember he scored our second try of the campaign. Apart from all of that he is a massive presence in the squad. He is the leader of the formidable four Ulstermen who have been at the top of their games so far-Ferris, Bowe and Trimble.
However, any team with Ross and the Four Ohs (Driscoll,Connell,Gara,Brien) can't be ruled out but I'd be pretty sure Kidney would have preferred a poor victory and a fit Rory than the situation he finds himself in.Still, quiet night in next Friday.

Agreed on Best. Good scrummager, and part of one of our star units.

comethekingdom

Quote from: Dubh driocht on October 02, 2011, 05:09:38 PM

Careful now! - Mr Bowe is from Emyvale - Not exactly the 'real Ulster' in the eyes of much of the rugby fraternity in the north!

bcarrier

With Best seemingly following Flannery out and

QuoteMike Ross's reaction to something from Lo Cicero may also be something the citing commissioner wants to look at.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/match-reports/ireland-sail-into-quarter-finals-with-emphatic-win-over-italy-2893770.html

scrum parity and dominance might be history.

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on October 02, 2011, 05:30:47 PM

QuoteMike Ross's reaction to something from Lo Cicero may also be something the citing commissioner wants to look at.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/world-cup/match-reports/ireland-sail-into-quarter-finals-with-emphatic-win-over-italy-2893770.html

I think he means the reverse of what you think he means. Hopefully.
MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2011, 06:15:27 PM
Quote from: bcarrier on October 02, 2011, 05:30:47 PM

I think he means the reverse of what you think he means. Hopefully.

Me too but bit on boards.ie too.

Main Street

Quote from: Capt Pat on October 02, 2011, 10:01:57 AM
The Italians are a disgrace with their foul play.
The game was quite tame compared to the Limerick hurling final that I watched on TG4.

Donnellys Hollow

Front row
Healy/Cronin/Ross v Jenkins/Bennett/Jones
With Rory Best out Wales probably have a slight edge. They have missed Jenkins and his return is a big plus for them. Jones is one of the best tight heads around. Ireland should hold their own but Cronin's darts need to be on the money.
Adv: Wales

Second row
O'Callaghan/O'Connell v Charteris/Wyn-Jones
Both of the Welsh locks are solid lineout operators but the two Munster lads have more of an impact around the field.
Adv: Ireland

Back row
Ferris/O'Brien/Heaslip v Lydiate/Warburton/Faletau
Ireland's backrow have been outstanding but they are yet to face a ground hog like Warburton who has been superb. Ireland should have an advantage here but they have to ensure that their clearing out is ferocious and Warburton isn't allowed get his paws on the ball.

Half backs
Murray/O'Gara v Phillips/Priestland
Similar enough pairings in many ways. I think Murray will get the nod again to counteract Phillips' physicality around the fringes. Priestland, like O'Gara, is suspect defensively and Ireland will hopefully send the likes of O'Brien and Ferris down his channel early and often.
Adv: Draw

Centres
D'Arcy/O'Driscoll v Roberts/Davies
Ireland have an edge in terms of experience and it was encouraging to see D'Arcy showing something like his old form this morning. Roberts is a very powerful runner but he has been inconsistent in the past. Davies is very talented but he is untested in a contest like this.

Back three
Earls/Kearney/Bowe v Williams/Hook/North
Tommy Bowe is one of the most effective wingers in world rugby and Earls is confidence should be growing with every game. George North looks a hell of a player though and Williams' record speaks for itself. I'd hope that O'Gara will target him and Hook with a few garryowens. Wales maybe have an ever so slight advantage but both teams have excellent backs in reserve - Byrne, Halfpenny, Trimble.
Adv: Wales

Looks a very finely balanced tie and Best's injury is a blow. It's a game Ireland are well capable of winning though and we do have more experience than the Welsh which should stand to us. Unless Ireland try and engage Wales in a 7s type game, we have the pack to beat them.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

trileacman

Quote from: Main Street on October 02, 2011, 07:41:46 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on October 02, 2011, 10:01:57 AM
The Italians are a disgrace with their foul play.
The game was quite tame compared to the Limerick hurling final that I watched on TG4.
Yeah but thats Limerick, you come to expect it!
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Capt Pat

Looking back at the game the most encouraging things were probably the performances of Darcy and Murray. It was like the Darcy of five years ago when he would be the best player on the field. If he keeps it up we will be going places. Then there was Murray who already looks the part of an international scrum half. So Best may or may not be injured but this team is still making progress in other areas.

Ferris was immense today the Italians had no answer to him. O Brien drew in the Italian tacklers but I think there is more to come from him. The two tackles the two flankers put in on Castrogiovani are probably what put him out of the game.

Just_Browsing

Should be a great game this weekend.  Think it will be very close so was wondering what happens in the result of a draw at end of 80 mins?  is in extra time and still draw the penalties kick out?

blewuporstuffed

O'brien v warburton should be some battle.
Obrien has been one of the players of the tournament so far, but warburton is a top class 7 also.
should be a cracker this weekend
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Hardy

Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 03, 2011, 09:05:40 AM
Should be a great game this weekend.  Think it will be very close so was wondering what happens in the result of a draw at end of 80 mins?  is in extra time and still draw the penalties kick out?

1. Extra time - following an interval of 5 minutes, extra time of 10 minutes each way (with an interval of 5 minutes) shall be played in full;

2. Sudden death - if the scores are tied at the conclusion of extra time, and following an interval of 5 minutes, then a further extra time of 10 minutes maximum shall be played. During this period the first team to score any points shall be declared the winner (sudden death);

3. Kicking competition - if after this sudden death period no winner can be declared, a kicking competition will be organised between the two teams. The winner of that competition shall be declared the winner of the match.

The kicking competition looks like fun.  http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/tournamentrules/

Just_Browsing

Quote from: Hardy on October 03, 2011, 12:20:03 PM
Quote from: Just_Browsing on October 03, 2011, 09:05:40 AM

1. Extra time - following an interval of 5 minutes, extra time of 10 minutes each way (with an interval of 5 minutes) shall be played in full;

2. Sudden death - if the scores are tied at the conclusion of extra time, and following an interval of 5 minutes, then a further extra time of 10 minutes maximum shall be played. During this period the first team to score any points shall be declared the winner (sudden death);

3. Kicking competition - if after this sudden death period no winner can be declared, a kicking competition will be organised between the two teams. The winner of that competition shall be declared the winner of the match.

The kicking competition looks like fun.  http://www.rugbyworldcup.com/home/tournamentrules/

cheers hardy - just looked that up.  Yeah would actually like to see a game go that far for the spectacle - just not the ireland game!!!!