What football team would you like to see lift Sam?

Started by Blowitupref, August 01, 2011, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What football team would you like to see lift Sam

Kerry
11 (8.1%)
Donegal
28 (20.6%)
Dublin
13 (9.6%)
Mayo
42 (30.9%)
Tyrone
42 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Orior on August 01, 2011, 09:44:36 PM
Oh yes, and my final reason to vote Mayo was for the famous Granny Breen

She's dead 36 years but will be delighted, thanks.
#newbridgeornowhere

Orangemac

In this order

Donegal
Mayo ( no one would begrudge them)
Dublin
Tyrone
Kerry

borderfox

Any of them apart from Kerry. They have enough All Irelands.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Kerry Mike

Has to be Mayo. Any team that holds the langers to 6 Points will Win the AI
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

PAULD123

I think a Dublin victory would be good for the game. It is a long time since the Dubs won it and so its not the case of "the same teams always winning it" despite them having 22 titles. (have to admit I also am biased as I work in Dublin, and my girlfriend is a Jackeen)

Other than that it would be great to see Donegal or Mayo come through, yeah Donegal play negative football but just to see a big change to the name on the cup. Not many neutrals want to see a Kerry victory and personally I don't like the idea of Tyrone getting within one Sam of Down's total!!

AQMP

Mayo or Donegal (or Antrim...maybe someday before I die, but we're fast runnning out of years!)

Tyronelass

I know I'm from Tyrone & therefore bias but setting that aside, I'd like to see Tyrone win if for no other reason than for Micky Harte. Total admiration for the man, anything that might bring him & the Harte family a moment of joy u couldn't begrudge.

However if Tyrone don't win, I'd be delighted if Donegal or Mayo did! Not that bothered about Kerry or Dublin.

yellowcard

In order of preference:

Mayo
Dublin
Tyrone
Donegal (just can't have their style)
Kerry

Stevie g 8

Mayo then donegal(but don't like there style of play)

ziggysego

Being a Tyrone man, I have to say Tyrone. If for no other reason, as TyroneLass (the stalker) said, Mickey and the GAA family need this win for Michaela.

Outside of that, Donegal. Ulster and all that of course. Failing that, Mayo. They've been there so many times in recent years, only to fall at the last hurdle. Be great to see them getting over the line. Thought, a win against Kerry might be enough for them this year ;)
Testing Accessibility

J70

Donegal obviously!

Then Mayo (maternal roots) and Tyrone (neighbours)

Not bothered which of Kerry or Dublin would win!

armaghniac

QuoteI think a Dublin victory would be good for the game. It is a long time since the Dubs won it and so its not the case of "the same teams always winning it" despite them having 22 titles

Dublin have served their time, they've been continuously in top 4 for a decade, without reaching the final. The media hype grates, but the genuine Dub deserves a Sam.

After that Mayo, of course.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on August 03, 2011, 02:04:35 AM
QuoteI think a Dublin victory would be good for the game. It is a long time since the Dubs won it and so its not the case of "the same teams always winning it" despite them having 22 titles

Dublin have served their time, they've been continuously in top 4 for a decade, without reaching the final. The media hype grates, but the genuine Dub deserves a Sam.

After that Mayo, of course.

Well thats not true, Mayo, Galway and Meath have trumphed them to the top 4 position at various times over the last decade. Armagh, Cork, Tyrone and Kerry dominated the period, with Armagh's tailing into Cork's rise. Laois was there abouts for a while and Monaghan rose for a few years. Kildare, Donegal and Derry to a much lesser extend have had periods during the last decade. How could they possibly be considered top 4 when they have not reached a Final since 1995 and struggled to get to a Semi for most of that period. Down even managed to get to an All-Ireland and Fermanagh has had similar Semi-Final success as Dublin.

If you go as far as to factor in National Leagues in the last decade, Cavan and Wexford have as much to boast about as Dublin.

If you look to Provinical Titles, they won them in a province which has not had an All-Ireland Finalist in over a decade and a mere 3 losing League Finalists in the same period.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

armaghniac

Talk of Cavan discredits your point completely, as Dublin were higher than Cavan every year in the league.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ross matt

Its gotta be Mayo. Connacht (the junk status province) all the way. They've had some bad AI final days but at least they got there and keep coming back for more. They deserve to win Sam for persistence alone.