What football team would you like to see lift Sam?

Started by Blowitupref, August 01, 2011, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What football team would you like to see lift Sam

Kerry
11 (8.1%)
Donegal
28 (20.6%)
Dublin
13 (9.6%)
Mayo
42 (30.9%)
Tyrone
42 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 136

borderfox

Quote from: ross matt on August 03, 2011, 08:00:52 AM
Its gotta be Mayo. Connacht (the junk status province) all the way. They've had some bad AI final days but at least they got there and keep coming back for more. They deserve to win Sam for persistence alone.
Yes I would like to see Mayo do it as well. They'll have to do it the hard way though (Cork, Kerry, and either Tyrone Dublin or Donegal) if they come through all those it would be the most deserving All Ireland in years.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Hardy

As always, if we (or Longford) don't win it, I don't care who wins it, unless I have somebody backed. I have a small bet on Donegal at 23/1, not because I think they're the most likely to win, but because 23/1 was a value bet. I could trade out of it now at 10/1 but I'll let it ride at least until after Sunday, but maybe all the way - I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat everyone that's left. So, for now anyway, mon Donegal.

I can't subscribe to the general sentiment that it would be nice for Mayo to win it. I think it would be an awful pity to deny Mayo people their rightful position as the great optimists of the GAA and to deny the rest of us our admiring enjoyment as onlookers to their eternal cycle of "this is our year", followed by "feckit, we're cursed", followed (quickly) by "right lads - here's what we have to do for next year. First, sack the manager ..." etc. An All-Ireland would ruin all that.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Hardy on August 03, 2011, 11:20:01 AM
As always, if we (or Longford) don't win it, I don't care who wins it, unless I have somebody backed. I have a small bet on Donegal at 23/1, not because I think they're the most likely to win, but because 23/1 was a value bet. I could trade out of it now at 10/1 but I'll let it ride at least until after Sunday, but maybe all the way - I wouldn't be surprised to see them beat everyone that's left. So, for now anyway, mon Donegal.

I can't subscribe to the general sentiment that it would be nice for Mayo to win it. I think it would be an awful pity to deny Mayo people their rightful position as the great optimists of the GAA and to deny the rest of us our admiring enjoyment as onlookers to their eternal cycle of "this is our year", followed by "feckit, we're cursed", followed (quickly) by "right lads - here's what we have to do for next year. First, sack the manager ..." etc. An All-Ireland would ruin all that.

i'd love to meet these mayo people who say this is our year i haven't met one yet, as for sacking the manager we will leave that to ye boys 1st Hardy ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Hardy

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 03, 2011, 11:25:06 AM

i'd love to meet these mayo people who say this is our year i haven't met one yet

"This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend".

as for sacking the manager we will leave that to ye boys 1st Hardy ;)

I truly hope you're right.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: armaghniac on August 03, 2011, 07:20:18 AM
Talk of Cavan discredits your point completely, as Dublin were higher than Cavan every year in the league.

Cavan lost the 2002 final to Tyrone. I wouldn't have Cavan above Dublin in any year in the last 20 except 1997, however they have appeared in as many League or All-Ireland Finals as Dublin in the last decade.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

snippets

I think every Tyrone fan would almost give up 1 or two of the previous all irelands to win this one for obvious reasons.  Im not saying we can do it, but its a great credit that team and management are back in a quarter final. If we arent good enough its not for the lack of trying
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Kerry Mike

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

oakleafgael

Would like to see Tyrone lift it this year. If they do I hope Harte continues with his stance of not speaking to RTE until he receives a full and public apology from them for the disgusting attempt at humour at his family's expense.

Jinxy

I'd love to see Mayo win it just to see the reaction.
Spontaneous combustion on a massive scale I'd say.
Attn certain Mayo posters: I don't actually want to see Mayo people exploding.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2011, 04:13:04 PM

:D :D  :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

I think if Mayo won it, there'd be f**king mayhem. But the hard wired pessimism would cause a meltdown. It'd be great craic. I still want to see Kerry win it :)

ziggysego

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2011, 05:43:31 PM

I think if Mayo won it, there'd be f**king mayhem. But the hard wired pessimism would cause a meltdown. It'd be great craic. I still want to see Kerry win it :)

I think if Mayo won it, this hard wired pessimism will creep in. They'll spend the rest of the year waiting for the DRA to come knocking and take Sam off them.
Testing Accessibility

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ziggysego on August 03, 2011, 05:51:16 PM

I think if Mayo won it, this hard wired pessimism will creep in. They'll spend the rest of the year waiting for the DRA to come knocking and take Sam off them.

Its not far from reality. The first All-Ireland Mayo won was taken back from us after Galway insisted on the Connacht Final being played (a game they couldn't have been arsed turning up for the first time). Galway bet us in the Connacht Final and awarded our All-Ireland title  >:(

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

The county would fracture, North Mayo and South Mayo would play to see who were the real All-Ireland Champions.

Jinxy

Success would only make them cynical.
If you were any use you'd be playing.