Mayo V Kerry semi final

Started by Milltown Row2, July 31, 2011, 05:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: ross matt on August 19, 2011, 12:21:50 AM
I'm older than you. I was fortunate enough to see the great Dermot Earley in his prime. He always impressed upon people when he spoke about the importance of your province. The sense of connection etc. When Galway hurlers won back to back AIs in '87/88 it meant alot for me and many Rossies. I cheered Willie Joe, TJ etc in 89. I loved it when James Horan ghosted through the Kerry defence in '96 and stuck the ball in their net. I rated Galway 98-01 as one of the most exciting and attractive sides I've ever seen play and would love if football still was played like that. I admired O'Hara driving through the Armagh and Tyrone defenses a decade ago approx. I never saw Mickey Kearns play but often heard his name mentioned in reverence from those who knew their football that came before me. In '94 I was delighted to see Darcy & the Honeymans line out in Croker v the Dubs.

Why would I not want Mayo to win? They've beaten my team. But the better they do the more it reflects well on Roscommon's performance and helps us measure how far we have to go.
Do you really think I would want to see the likes of a money grabbing pundit waster like Splillane diss our province as "junk status" and be vindicated by Kerry hammering Mayo?  I love Kerry football but I would love it alot more if Andy Moran and his colleagues shoved it up their asses on Sunday.

Rivalry is all very well within a province when we compete against each other but once your team is out I support my neighbours. So what if Mayo for hammered in '04 and '06 AIs. At least they fuckin got there and came back for more. Persistence pays off. Ourselves, yourselves, Galway and leitrim could learn alot from their attitude of eternal optimism.

I try not to fight with you Sligonian but you're  a very angry boy. Dont get your bitterness at all and cant see how it helps you or Sligo.

Connacht abu.

Good post RM, hopefully Roscommon, Galway and Mayo will all be in Croker on the 18th.

Mayo4Sam

Sligoian, two things.

In my lifetime I have only ever seen mayo bottle one game, unlucky with val dalys goal in Tuam in '89 when there wasn't a Galway man left only the 15 on the pitch, same in '01 against the Ross. The only game I ever saw them bottle was in '96 v Meath day 1. You might point to 97 but we lost to the best footballer of the decade giving the display of his life.
In '04 & '06, IMO, we lost to the best team of the last 20 yrs, since their fathers played in the 80s there's been no team like that Kerry team that reached 6 AIFs in a row, we didnt bottle it we simply lost to a better team and no talk if tactics will ever change that.
Can Sligo say the same thing about the Connacht final '10?

Secondly it's good for Connacht football to have teams in the latter stages of the championship, would Galway have made the breakthrough in '98 if mayo hadn't been to the final 2 yrs running? I don't think so because the Sligo lads or the rossie lads will say well we can beat Mayo, no problem, let us at them, and sure if mayo can beat cork/Kerry/Dublin well f**k it what's to stop us?

It was the same with club football in Mayo, castlebar got to the final in 93, the following yr k'more won Connacht, all of a sudden it wasn't a big deal, ballina look at us and say well we can do that too, cross think sure we're better than those pair, it all leads on.

A fine post Ross Matt, and I'll be in early to shout for the primrose and blue in the minors as I was in '06
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Jinxy

Quote from: spuds on August 19, 2011, 01:24:19 AM
Quote from: Hardy on August 19, 2011, 01:09:33 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 19, 2011, 12:36:33 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 18, 2011, 10:46:58 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 18, 2011, 10:34:10 PM
I just heard from my Kerry friend that the lads were boxing the heads off each other at training tonight.

Those Kerry boys always say that, just to frighten the opposition!

You're not serious.

To be honest, though, you can imagine the Kerry lads batin the shite out of each other at training and you can't really picture the Mayo lads doing it.

To be honest, though, you can imagine the Kerry lads batin the shite out of each other at training and you can't really picture the Meath lads doing it. Suppose it's because they're not training !

Our lads are in the pub batin the shite out of each other.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

maigheo

good post ros matt and despite what sligonian says ,a connacht team doing well in croker gives the other teams a great incentive to raise there standards the following year.But in fairness to sligonian he is entitled to his opinion about the mayo team and every body should at least respect that. Also this idea of a close defeat being acceptable next sunday does not hold water with me as there are no guarntees we will be back in the semi final in the near future so we should make the most of our opportunity right now.

Tubberman

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 19, 2011, 12:54:32 AM
Quote from: ross matt on August 19, 2011, 12:21:50 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2011, 05:45:35 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on August 18, 2011, 03:30:52 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 18, 2011, 12:44:07 AM
Just passing through mayo today and was reminded yere in a All Ireland Semi final, it shocks me eveytime tbh, as this is one of the worst mayo teams ive ever seen.

What a bitter little boy you must be
In what way bitter, sure i never said i wouldnt be cheering ye on sunday ;).

In what way Ross matt will it be good for Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim and Galway if mayo win on sunday? I dont see it having any impact positive or negative in Sligo.

I'm older than you. I was fortunate enough to see the great Dermot Earley in his prime. He always impressed upon people when he spoke about the importance of your province. The sense of connection etc. When Galway hurlers won back to back AIs in '87/88 it meant alot for me and many Rossies. I cheered Willie Joe, TJ etc in 89. I loved it when James Horan ghosted through the Kerry defence in '96 and stuck the ball in their net. I rated Galway 98-01 as one of the most exciting and attractive sides I've ever seen play and would love if football still was played like that. I admired O'Hara driving through the Armagh and Tyrone defenses a decade ago approx. I never saw Mickey Kearns play but often heard his name mentioned in reverence from those who knew their football that came before me. In '94 I was delighted to see Darcy & the Honeymans line out in Croker v the Dubs.

Why would I not want Mayo to win? They've beaten my team. But the better they do the more it reflects well on Roscommon's performance and helps us measure how far we have to go.
Do you really think I would want to see the likes of a money grabbing pundit waster like Splillane diss our province as "junk status" and be vindicated by Kerry hammering Mayo?  I love Kerry football but I would love it alot more if Andy Moran and his colleagues shoved it up their asses on Sunday.

Rivalry is all very well within a province when we compete against each other but once your team is out I support my neighbours. So what if Mayo for hammered in '04 and '06 AIs. At least they fuckin got there and came back for more. Persistence pays off. Ourselves, yourselves, Galway and leitrim could learn alot from their attitude of eternal optimism.

I try not to fight with you Sligonian but you're  a very angry boy. Dont get your bitterness at all and cant see how it helps you or Sligo.

Connacht abu.
On yer self imposed pedestals lads with the boy comments, i guess in Sligo we talk less shit than other counties, my reference to this being poor, one of the worst mayo side ive seen is my opinion just like 07 Sligo wasnt exactly a great Sligo side was it, but does that make me a bitter boy. I think not. In fact it was the opinion of alot of MAYOMEN after london....

The connacht argument is horsehit, will FOD mark roscommon progress based on Mayos results?? that is a ridiculuos conclusion. By your point if mayo lose by a 1pt on sunday that makes roscommon only 3 pts worse than Kerry :D, i dont see how your view helps roscommon....right back at you.

Rossmatt you asked yourself question i never asked in bold above btw, i asked you how it benefits other counties, it doesnt at all is the answer. And that doesnt make me angry boy, it just makes me the guy who can see through the horseshit thats written on here and i expect you not to like it.

I have absolutely no sensitivity with provincial jibes from spillane as i know he hasnt a clue about Sligo football and as i said before i dont see myself as a Connacht man, Just A Sligo one, and that doesnt make me a bad person. The truth is i dont really care how mayo do, if they win they win if they lose they lose, but im not a mayoman or kerryman so dont really give a shit. I'll probably go to the All Ireland final so Kerry and Dublin would be my ideal final tbh as neither team would bottle it.   8) 8)

I think the truth is that you do care how Mayo do. Why else would you have posted in this thread? Your small-minded jealousy, your short temper and your inability to keep the mouth shut got the better of you yet again, and you had to let it out, had to have a dig. Hope it reduced the blood pressure a bit anyway
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

Ross Matt

Great post.  I'll never forget  2001 when the 2 Connacht teams won the club all-irelands- Crossmolina in the fuball and Athenry in the hurling.    What a day.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: seafoid on August 19, 2011, 09:15:45 AM
Ross Matt

Great post.  I'll never forget  2001 when the 2 Connacht teams won the club all-irelands- Crossmolina in the fuball and Athenry in the hurling.    What a day.

That was some day allright seafoid . Great post by Ross matt but your not going to change sligonians opinion thats just the way the man is.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ross matt

Ross Matt

Yeah Seafoid forgot about the club AIs. Also in '01 Galway were AI champions, Mayo were league champions and Ross were Connacht champions. I also think Sligo, Mayo, Ross and Galway contested the league semis that year too.

Tubberman

Quote from: ross matt on August 19, 2011, 10:21:45 AM
Ross Matt

Yeah Seafoid forgot about the club AIs. Also in '01 Galway were AI champions, Mayo were league champions and Ross were Connacht champions. I also think Sligo, Mayo, Ross and Galway contested the league semis that year too.

Yeah, that's right. Although, foot and mouth had a part to play in that I think. The northern teams couldn't come down to fulfill some fixtures. It was still some achievement though, having all four semi finalists from one province, never mind from the province always derided as by far the weakest. 

kevmy

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 19, 2011, 12:24:44 AM
Yeah, where is Ros? You'd miss his comic interventions. At least I think they are meant to be comic.

Really, really looking forward to this game now. I haven't looked forward to a Mayo game as much as the 2004 final. I thought we'd win that. Didn't see us beating Dubs or Kerry in 2006 and, naturally, there's been f**k all to look forward to in the 2007-10 spell.

Mayo football has rediscovered its pride this year. That is a point worth making after last year's embarrassments. And, call it hype if you want, but it is great to see the level of interest that exists ahead of this game in the county. I wouldn't call it hype, I'd call it something that's great for the game in Mayo. All of this means, on one level, that we can be proud of what we have done thus far. And we can except that this Mayo team won't show the white feather and will be cute enough and brave enough to stay with Kerry for long stages. There'll be no hammering here, I think.

There's a lot of talk about how losing by two or three points would be a good result and let us build for next year. I see the logic but, feck it, I can't agree. We're in the last four of Ireland and we should be looking to win the thing. I think that's the attitude that will prevail in the squad. Chances like this won't come around by divine right next year.

We have to make this opportunity count. Beat Kerry and the hype will go into overdrive, the talk of 60 years will too and the favourites tag will be bestowed on us for the final, in all likelihood. But we'd be seventy minutes from an All-Ireland. Lose on Sunday and we're back to the start line again. The opportunity of a lifetime only exists during the lifetime of the opportunity. Go for it Mayo. Mayo to win.

Not if Dublin win their semi. They will be favourites as the media always overestimate Dublin and underestimate Mayo. Also Dublin are the one crowd who are able to outdo ourselves in unreasonable levels of expectation. And we have to remember that bookies will follow the money and most of the money will be coming from Dublin.

Having said all that I'd prefer if Donegal made the final (if we get there also - which is at best a 50:50 shot) purely due to the ticket issue!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: kevmy on August 19, 2011, 10:44:44 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on August 19, 2011, 12:24:44 AM
Yeah, where is Ros? You'd miss his comic interventions. At least I think they are meant to be comic.

Really, really looking forward to this game now. I haven't looked forward to a Mayo game as much as the 2004 final. I thought we'd win that. Didn't see us beating Dubs or Kerry in 2006 and, naturally, there's been f**k all to look forward to in the 2007-10 spell.

Mayo football has rediscovered its pride this year. That is a point worth making after last year's embarrassments. And, call it hype if you want, but it is great to see the level of interest that exists ahead of this game in the county. I wouldn't call it hype, I'd call it something that's great for the game in Mayo. All of this means, on one level, that we can be proud of what we have done thus far. And we can except that this Mayo team won't show the white feather and will be cute enough and brave enough to stay with Kerry for long stages. There'll be no hammering here, I think.

There's a lot of talk about how losing by two or three points would be a good result and let us build for next year. I see the logic but, feck it, I can't agree. We're in the last four of Ireland and we should be looking to win the thing. I think that's the attitude that will prevail in the squad. Chances like this won't come around by divine right next year.

We have to make this opportunity count. Beat Kerry and the hype will go into overdrive, the talk of 60 years will too and the favourites tag will be bestowed on us for the final, in all likelihood. But we'd be seventy minutes from an All-Ireland. Lose on Sunday and we're back to the start line again. The opportunity of a lifetime only exists during the lifetime of the opportunity. Go for it Mayo. Mayo to win.

Not if Dublin win their semi. They will be favourites as the media always overestimate Dublin and underestimate Mayo. Also Dublin are the one crowd who are able to outdo ourselves in unreasonable levels of expectation. And we have to remember that bookies will follow the money and most of the money will be coming from Dublin.

Having said all that I'd prefer if Donegal made the final (if we get there also - which is at best a 50:50 shot) purely due to the ticket issue!

What is the Club breakdown in Mayo, Kerry, Donegal & Dublin for each if they were to make the Final. I know Cork have the biggest allocation, I think Mayo has enough clubs to be ranked 3'rd. I presume Dublin is 2'nd, having played junior football up there the amount of clubs is huge.

Let Dublin and Donegal decide who Mayo/Kerry play in the Final.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Tubberman

Jaysus, RTÉ have tipped Mayo on their website.  :o
Still big underdogs, but nowhere near as written off as we were before Cork.

ross matt

Quote from: Tubberman on August 19, 2011, 10:26:02 AM
Ross Matt

Yeah, that's right. Although, foot and mouth had a part to play in that I think. The northern teams couldn't come down to fulfill some fixtures. It was still some achievement though, having all four semi finalists from one province, never mind from the province always derided as by far the weakest.

Actually you're correct Tubberman. Foot and Mouth had an effect on the league that year.

boosabum

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on August 19, 2011, 01:32:17 AM
Sligoian, two things.

In my lifetime I have only ever seen mayo bottle one game, unlucky with val dalys goal in Tuam in '89 when there wasn't a Galway man left only the 15 on the pitch, same in '01 against the Ross. The only game I ever saw them bottle was in '96 v Meath day 1. You might point to 97 but we lost to the best footballer of the decade giving the display of his life.
In '04 & '06, IMO, we lost to the best team of the last 20 yrs, since their fathers played in the 80s there's been no team like that Kerry team that reached 6 AIFs in a row, we didnt bottle it we simply lost to a better team and no talk if tactics will ever change that.
Can Sligo say the same thing about the Connacht final '10?

Secondly it's good for Connacht football to have teams in the latter stages of the championship, would Galway have made the breakthrough in '98 if mayo hadn't been to the final 2 yrs running? I don't think so because the Sligo lads or the rossie lads will say well we can beat Mayo, no problem, let us at them, and sure if mayo can beat cork/Kerry/Dublin well f**k it what's to stop us?

It was the same with club football in Mayo, castlebar got to the final in 93, the following yr k'more won Connacht, all of a sudden it wasn't a big deal, ballina look at us and say well we can do that too, cross think sure we're better than those pair, it all leads on.

A fine post Ross Matt, and I'll be in early to shout for the primrose and blue in the minors as I was in '06

Bit harsh there, more like paniced then bottled. Bounce of a ball (literally) cost that AI, not many teams have lost it like that.

boosabum

Quote from: ross matt on August 19, 2011, 11:23:09 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 19, 2011, 10:26:02 AM
Ross Matt

Actually you're correct Tubberman. Foot and Mouth had an effect on the league that year.

And u21 final i believe