Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

The negativity showered on Donegal this year is unbelievable.
They have taken the Armagh and (especially) Tyone template and prospered.
Kerry adopted it long since and I hear no outcry.
That is where Gaelic football is and unless you are a partisan spectator you will not get a spectacle unless you pin your colours to somebody's mast. (Or change the rules).
I pinned my colours to Donegal because at least they might bring some  joie vivre to a champioship constrained by the dismal "work ethic" of our Ulster colleagues - and in extra time they did when they had to throw caution to the wind and come out and play.
McGuniness seems to have got a cameraderie going and although much of their progres to date has been owed to that dismal ethic that the rules so inadequately allow, when set free to win, they did,
Roll on the Ulster champions, the beautiful game can wait.
We think we play it in Down and we are long gone.
Tir Chonaill abu.
Fierce tame altogether

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Tyrones own on July 30, 2011, 09:32:40 PM
Quote from: TyroneRahilly on July 30, 2011, 09:17:35 PM
Isnt it amazing how 2 poor sides, going on today's display, could create such an exciting game. Very little skill from both teams, more a game of stamina and guts.

I'd be very confident that Tyrone will hammer donegal should we beat the dubs!
That remains to be seen, but in terms of football, it'll be a very dark day for our game if that shite succeeds
and heavens forbid wins an AI
  :-\

Pat Spillane said something similar in 2003, but i bet you didnt agree with him.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Leo

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 30, 2011, 11:33:09 PM
Isnt it amazing how 2 poor sides, going on today's display, could create such an exciting game. Very little skill from both teams, more a game of stamina and guts.

That remains to be seen, but in terms of football, it'll be a very dark day for our game if that shite succeeds

Pat Spillane said something similar in 2003, but i bet you didnt agree with him.

Spoy on
Puke football rules
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Quote from: Leo on July 30, 2011, 11:38:26 PM
Quote from: Hoof Hearted on July 30, 2011, 11:33:09 PM

Spot on
Puke football rules
Fierce tame altogether

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on July 30, 2011, 10:52:56 PM

No argument, Kildare were hard done by. That square ball decision was vital,
What is the rule on that?
O'Connor clearly had a foot inside the square before the ball arrived. Is that not a square ball?
I would have thought one foot inside is a defined as being inside the square.

Kildare were not hard done by imo, they had the game in extra time,
but tough for either of them to lose after that effort.

Fuzzman

Did anyone think that at the end Kildare should have got a free in  but instead the ref let it go.
Then Donegal came down the field and got the winning point.

Its not easy on the eye for anyone, even the Donegal fans themselves but when yer winning and you come out on the right side of exciting games like today, you can't agree that McGuinness has made Donegal a much more mentally stronger team who will fight til the death
At Martin McHugh said on BBC after the game, most Donegal teams in the past would have lost that game. Their spirit, belief, system, work ethic and stubbornness kept them in the game.

I wonder would they prefer to meet the Dubs next and not Tyrone.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Main Street on July 30, 2011, 11:42:56 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 30, 2011, 10:52:56 PM

No argument, Kildare were hard done by. That square ball decision was vital,
What is the rule on that?
O'Connor clearly had a foot inside the square before the ball arrived. Is that not a square ball?
I would have thought one foot inside is a defined as being inside the square.

Kildare were not hard done by imo, they had the game in extra time,
but tough for either of them to lose after that effort.

The rule is that you cannot be in the square before the ball. If was borderline form the replay, it looked like his feet were going in and out of the small square as the ball was coming in to the square prior to hitting the post.

fitzroyalty

Great day of football today, hats off to both teams for serving up an excellent match. The Tyrone game might have been more easy on the eye but in terms of atmosphere and pure intensity, that Donegal/Kildare game is the best I have seen all year and reminds me Armagh/Tyrone in 05.
Jim McGuinness has worked wonders with that Donegal team, the attitude and belief he has instilled in them is unreal. The end of ET was nearing and the whole stadium thought Kildare had it. But Donegal never gave up, that is a game that will stay long in my memory.

ck

Negative tactics aside - Donegal have been damn lucky this year with big decisions, penalties not given against them, panalties given to them and a clear goal disallowed... can it continue?

Donegal deserve credit for raw hunger and work rate. McGuinness knows they are not good enough to compete in open attacking terms so has given them a game plan that is working. Awful to watch but there is not a team left in the c'ship who will want to play them now.

There is one thing that really bugs me though and that is the fact that Donegal have perfected the strategic foul. They foul consistantly in certain areas of the pitch to kill the pace and break attacks, allowing them to get back in numbers to swarm defence and gain turnovers. You will notice that different players do the fouling (never same player twice in a row) so as to avoid yellow cards. When referees start to act against cynical fouling then the game will be less defensive and Donegals game plan will drastically reduce its impact. 

Jinxy

Quote from: tyssam5 on July 30, 2011, 10:56:24 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2011, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2011, 10:46:33 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2011, 10:12:30 PM
Just back.

Didnt enjoy it all.

Thought it was a horrible game to watch.

God help Gaelic Football if Donegal's style proves successful.

Bad day at the office for referees again.

Kildare robbed.

At this stage Indy, I'd expect the same response if you'd just been to Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory the same day the Brazilian beach volleyball team were visiting.

At this stage you've nothing original to say. Bit like Meath football at present. Or their referees perhaps.

I said plenty about Cork's exhibition last week. Someone should lend the video to Mc Guinness.

In fairness that was highly original, all sorts of imagery conjured up!

Someone must have said it to him before.
What are the odds!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2011, 07:13:13 PM
I would agree with my Kildare friend that they should win this by at least 6 points.

Your friend, as usual, is full of shite!  :D
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

James91

Quote from: ck on July 31, 2011, 12:16:34 AM
Negative tactics aside - Donegal have been damn lucky this year with big decisions, penalties not given against them, panalties given to them and a clear goal disallowed... can it continue?

Donegal deserve credit for raw hunger and work rate. McGuinness knows they are not good enough to compete in open attacking terms so has given them a game plan that is working. Awful to watch but there is not a team left in the c'ship who will want to play them now.

There is one thing that really bugs me though and that is the fact that Donegal have perfected the strategic foul. They foul consistantly in certain areas of the pitch to kill the pace and break attacks, allowing them to get back in numbers to swarm defence and gain turnovers. You will notice that different players do the fouling (never same player twice in a row) so as to avoid yellow cards. When referees start to act against cynical fouling then the game will be less defensive and Donegals game plan will drastically reduce its impact. 

I know this is a discussion board and everyone is entitled to their opinion but jesus ck, every post I have read of yours over the past 3 weeks seems to be very anti-donegal!

Yes they have had a few lucky breaks, but theres no need to continue bringing them up in every post! Donegal are not the first and definetly wont be the last to be accused of cynical fouling. I think Kildare in extra time today proved they are not the only team that can be accused of it!

And I find it almost laughable that you casually confirm to us all how McGuinness feels about Donegals attacking ability! He has repeatedly stated how he feels Donegals forward line is one of the best in the country.
This Donegal team, and many that have passed before it have been praised as great "natural" footballers who have the skills and talents to match anyone, but just didnt try hard enough. Now that they are finally working hard with every player tracking back to defend- but also running forward to attack, they are being classed as a team with no ability that just scrap out the matches.

I think this team deserves a few lucky breaks!

Jinxy

Well, that's the Kildare lads for you.
That said, my friend reckons that if they did not have a perfectly good goal disallowed (which would have given them a 6 point lead midway through the 2nd half) they would have pushed on and won handy enough.
Hard to argue with him.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

borderfox

Well played Donegal! when it went to 0-13 to 1-8 I thought it was game over. Donegal teams in the past would have dropped the heads. Not this bunch though, What a sub Christy Toye turned out to be.
Hard luck for Kildare (again). How many times have they had poor refereeing decisions given against them ? I think maybe Geezer has taken them as far as he can. It must be very frustrating losing games in that manner. Psychologically it must be very hard to come back year after year with 'what might have beens' preying on your mind :-[.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

saffronandblue

I pity the poor ref, imo he was definitely trying for a draw and a big pat on the back from the GAA.  Kildare should have been given the free with 2 minutes to go to put them two points up.  They didn't get it and Donegal go on to equalize......the winning point must have come as a bit of a shocker to the ref....what a score it has to be said.  I thought it was a cracking game with some mighty hard hits going in.  Reminded me of the dubs v's meath epic saga when men were men.....

Can't see my fellow county men hitting as hard tomorrow.