Dún na nGall v Cill Dara

Started by Donnellys Hollow, July 24, 2011, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

I really enjoyed that, second half on was class IMO, the intensity reminded me of the Armagh v Tyrone 2005 semi at times.  I watched it on BBC 2 and Sky+ RTE's coverage - which failed so I didn't hear their take on it at all, BBC weren't pushing it as a great game - but I really thought it was.  Lady luck probably deserted Kildare again but 3 or 4 years in row with excuses probably means there is something missing there? I think McGeeney will go as well, I doubt he can bring them on any further.

Fair play to Donegal, they will be really hard to talk to in the coming years as the turnaround within 1 season is unreal, if they remain committed they will develop into a serious side.  It can be hard to watch at times, but it's all about getting the defence right and building from there, I fully expect that they'll become more expansive as they gel further.  That game alone will bring them on a bagful. Cassidy's winner was a thing of beauty.  They've no reason to fear the winner of next week's game.

Etienne Lantier

Quote from: bennydorano on July 30, 2011, 10:14:00 PM
I think McGeeney will go as well, I doubt he can bring them on any further.

Where could you possibly be going with this Benny!

bennydorano

There's more chance of me managing Ourma than McGeeney under the current Co Board set up if you think that's where I'm going :-[

J70

Why all the focus on Donegal's defensive tendencies? Kildare weren't exactly lacking for numbers in the backline from what I saw. And we were on the defensive for long stretches anyway, just given Kildare's periods of dominance at midfield. What are we supposed to do? Let them have all the space of Croke Park? And its not like we weren't throwing men forward, at least after half-time. Frank McGlynn, the corner back, provided the final pass for at least 1-1, from inside the Kildare 20m line. f**k me, you'd swear we'd invented the bloody tactic this year given the bleating. Or is just that its got us to an AI semi? Its especially ironic coming from some of the Tyrone men!

snoopdog

well done Donegal, you overcame Kildares strategic fouling in ET .
Although Kildares goal should have stood and would have seen them through, however what beat kildare was only going in at HT 2 points up when Donegal went 30 minutes without scoring.
Best of luck Donegal.

north down

Well done to Donegal but I think even the most ardent Donegal fan would admit they were a bit lucky today. I'd like to see this team coming out and playing the expansive football they are capable of. I fear that if they try this defensive formation next time they may not be so lucky. Hard luck to Kildare, I really thought that you had a chance of  making it to the AI final this year.

Chimley

It was hard to watch at times compared to the free-scoring fare produced by Tyrone/Roscommon. A lot of the reason was the massed defences but that in itself doesn't excuse some of the faffing around passing two yards to each other thirty yards from goals before another aimless wide.

That said, it was edge of the seat stuff and the poor standard won't worry Donegal supporters tonight.

I thought Hugh McGrillen was outstanding tonight for Kildare and didn't deserve to be on the losing siide.

Jinxy

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2011, 10:12:30 PM
Just back.

Didnt enjoy it all.

Thought it was a horrible game to watch.

God help Gaelic Football if Donegal's style proves successful.

Bad day at the office for referees again.

Kildare robbed.

At this stage Indy, I'd expect the same response if you'd just been to Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory the same day the Brazilian beach volleyball team were visiting.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

I really enjoyed that, second half on was class IMO, the intensity reminded me of the Armagh v Tyrone 2005 semi at times.  I watched it on BBC 2 and Sky+ RTE's coverage - which failed so I didn't hear their take on it at all, BBC weren't pushing it as a great game - but I really thought it was.  Lady luck probably deserted Kildare again but 3 or 4 years in row with excuses probably means there is something missing there? I think McGeeney will go as well, I doubt he can bring them on any further.

Fair play to Donegal, they will be really hard to talk to in the coming years as the turnaround within 1 season is unreal, if they remain committed they will develop into a serious side.  It can be hard to watch at times, but it's all about getting the defence right and building from there, I fully expect that they'll become more expansive as they gel further.  That game alone will bring them on a bagful. Cassidy's winner was a thing of beauty.  They've no reason to fear the winner of next week's game.

Lady Luck didnt desert Kildare they were done out of it by the officials.

Thats the bottom line. O Connor's goal stands its game over.

Cant take anything away from Donegal- great comeback in extra time but they were beaten had O Connor's goal stood.

As it should have.

Kildare arent good enough to win the all-ireland but they were good enough to win today. And they would have had the goal stood.

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2011, 10:46:33 PM
Just back.

Didnt enjoy it all.

Kildare robbed.

At this stage Indy, I'd expect the same response if you'd just been to Willie Wonkas Chocolate Factory the same day the Brazilian beach volleyball team were visiting.

At this stage you've nothing original to say. Bit like Meath football at present. Or their referees perhaps.

I said plenty about Cork's exhibition last week. Someone should lend the video to Mc Guinness.

J70

Quote from: north down on July 30, 2011, 10:35:38 PM
Well done to Donegal but I think even the most ardent Donegal fan would admit they were a bit lucky today. I'd like to see this team coming out and playing the expansive football they are capable of. I fear that if they try this defensive formation next time they may not be so lucky. Hard luck to Kildare, I really thought that you had a chance of  making it to the AI final this year.

No argument, Kildare were hard done by. That square ball decision was vital, and as things stood up at that point, it would have hard to see us claw them back completely from six points down (not impossible though - I for one thought we were down and out in extra time). But that's the way it goes. We've been on the wrong end of questionable decisions many times, and will be again.

What pleased me most, regardless of how the game finished or the tactics and styles of play, was the guts shown by the team. We have a Donegal squad that will not give up. For people who've followed this team over the past decade, that is just extraordinary!

I thought the first half was awful though. Had I not been a frustrated supporter, I wouldn't have tuned back in for the second! From that point on though, it was edge of seat!

tyssam5

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2011, 10:49:39 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2011, 10:46:33 PM
Just back.

Didnt enjoy it all.

Kildare robbed.

At this stage you've nothing original to say. Bit like Meath football at present. Or their referees perhaps.

I said plenty about Cork's exhibition last week. Someone should lend the video to Mc Guinness.

In fairness that was highly original, all sorts of imagery conjured up!

bennydorano

Quote from: INDIANA on July 30, 2011, 10:47:47 PM

Lady Luck didnt desert Kildare they were done out of it by the officials.

Thats the bottom line. O Connor's goal stands its game over.

Cant take anything away from Donegal- great comeback in extra time but they were beaten had O Connor's goal stood.

As it should have.

Kildare arent good enough to win the all-ireland but they were good enough to win today. And they would have had the goal stood.
A game takes on a different dynamic once a score is given, unless the ref was going to blow for full-time straight after the 'goal'?  Donegal scored 4 points to win the game in extra time after being level at FT and down 3 in ET, so they were obviously well capable of clawing back a lead. To say Kildare would have won if their 'goal' had counted is an exercise in arithmetic that doesn't take into account the plethora of things that can happen in any game and once again it's the sort of short-sighted(shite) analysis that I'd expect from yourself. 

I also doubt you were at the game.

neilthemac

to go from watching an entertaining and good game of football like Ros vs Tyrone to Donegal v Kildare was cruel

I was going to leave at half time in Donegal v Kildare, but luckily stayed on to see the tension in the end.
fair play to Donegal.