Dublin v Tyrone quarter final 6.8.11 SFC 2011

Started by orangeman, July 24, 2011, 06:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squire_in_navy_slacks

Happy days, nowt won yet though........................felt for Mickey Harte, a gent like him has had a terrible year

maggie

As Rois said, still pretty gutted this morning. Its been a tough year on the entire panel and I think you sometimes forget that. But fair dues to the Dubs,they were far superior. Think we knew early in the first half it was gonna be one-way traffic but you always hoped a sneaky goal might have been in us. Would have liked Ricey to get a run out, especially if he decides to call it a day but wasn't to be. To the lads that do retire, they have given us a decade of great memories.

INDIANA

A lot of the younger tyrone players last night don't really look up to it to me. They really let Harte and co down for the faith showed in them.

I thought those guys more then older players have more to answer for unfortunately. The older guys owe Tyrone fans nothing.

Dublin out-tyroned- tyrone. The circle has turned fully. 2008 was the lowest point for most Dublin fans. It absolutely changed the way Dublin football was being coached at underage level and the type of players we were producing. It also got rid of all the boozy nights in Coppers after beating crap teams thinking we were great.

I cant speak too highly of my admiration for this particular Tyrone team. They have been one of the all-time GREAT teams. Some of the best players ever to play the game.

Its not the end for all of them. The worst thing that could happen is all of them are culled. Some of them will retire- they have nothing left in the tank. The hunger has gone more then the legs.

Gormley and SON should definitely play on. Cavanagh and the Mc Mahons as well will still be there.  Age doesnt work the same way for every player. I'm not sure Tyrone have the replacements for the others. Tyrone really need some forwards from somewhere. That was their biggest weakness last night. SON looked a different class to all their other forwards.

Felt sorry for Harte. He's had a dreadful time of it. And I would have preferred anyone else on the end of that last night. Mickey is a top man and has travelled many times to Dublin for clubs and never asked for anything for it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Tyrone
Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2011, 11:46:08 AM
The question for me is whether Donegal can get the scores. The fact that an utterly overrun Tyrone managed fifteen points last night – enough to win most championship matches - suggests to me that if they can get near parity at midfield they have every chance.

True, we put in a respectable return, but in reality, despite the genius of Stevie O'Neill and insatiable industry of Conor Gormley et al., we were a beaten docket for the majority of those scores. And the Dubs knew it; it ceased to be a contest shortly after the half-time resumption.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ONeill on August 07, 2011, 11:45:41 AM
Loose tongues around Gortin?

If the young lads can see and learn from that burning desire Gormley, Jordan and O'Neill showed then we'll no more lie down.

I'm saying nothing!  ;)

Our lying down days are over I hope, thanks to Meath and '96!

INDIANA

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 12:56:56 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2011, 12:34:08 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:13:04 AM
despite how poor tyrone were, that must be the best dublin have played since the heffernan days. dont forget they could/should have had 4 goals as well. in my lifetime i cant recall tyrone ever conceding 20+ points.

however, the big problem for dublin now is that they are going to have to reproduce that performance 2 more times to win all ireland. believe it or not, jim mcguinness may be a happy man tonite instead of a worried one.

I genuinely don't think so.
Look at their form line vs. Donegals.
Donegal narrowly beat Tyrone and Kildare (aided by some dodgy reffing).
Dublin annihilated Tyrone and beat Kildare with 14 men.
I think they can play well within themselves and still beat Donegal by 4 or 5 points.
That would set them up nicely for the final which either way (waves at Mayo friends) they will be massively motivated for.
Aye, but it's a totally different game when Donegal are playing. They are not going to stuff anyone. It's not in their game. Donegal would be happy to score 2 points, in the knowledge that they could stop their opponents scoring more than 2 points.
The Dubs thrived playing Tyrone as they were able to take scores, due to the space they were given.
It's hard to see them getting an inch of space against Donegal and it will be interesting how they deal with it.

The Dubs counter attack at a ridiculous speed though.
It's usually 2/3 quick handpasses to a runner coming out, kick pass to the wing, maybe another quick offload then another kick pass into the FF line.
They won't just run it up to the Donegal half back line like Kildare did.
The reason there was so much space for the Dubs today is they have support runners coming from everywhere at pace.
Kildare were very fit, but they didn't have the pace this Dublin team have.
They also didn't have the range of scoring options Dublin have.
Dublin are now, where Donegal might be in a year or two, i.e. they have figured out the optimum system of play for the players at their disposal which balances defence and attack without sacrificing one for the other.
I'd put the house on Dublin coming out on top.

Where's your house, Jinxy? I fancy a change of scenery. Do you fancy living in Cork? Sorry – silly question.

I like Dublin's style of play. You sum it up well and there's a lot to admire about it. Also, while I genuinely don't care who wins it, I would wish this Dublin group well. They have a great attitude and anything they achieve will have been hard earned.

However, I'm letting my bet on Donegal to win outright ride until after the semi. Where I disagree with your analysis of how it will go is that kicking it in to the FF line from distance won't do any good when there's not just a sweeper, unlike last night, but five to eight Donegal players in there, who won't have left the area no matter what's been happening up the other end.

What do Dublin do then? I think they will struggle for scores. Connolly will not get a square inch of space and Bernard Brogan likewise. Dublin will not run through the Donegal tackles as they did against Tyrone, especially when it's not coming onto the ball at speed but working from a static start as they handpass around the maze that will be the Donegal 45-metre area.

The question for me is whether Donegal can get the scores. The fact that an utterly overrun Tyrone managed fifteen points last night – enough to win most championship matches - suggests to me that if they can get near parity at midfield they have every chance.

Donegal hopefully wont have Mc Quillan refereeing them to give them the soft frees tyrone got yesterday. He was poor yesterday and largely left tyrone somewhat in the game. Some of his calls beggared belief.

Hardy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 07, 2011, 11:56:25 AM

If the young lads can see and learn from that burning desire Gormley, Jordan and O'Neill showed then we'll no more lie down.

I'm saying nothing!  ;)

You're welcome!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on August 07, 2011, 12:06:14 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 07, 2011, 11:56:25 AM

I'm saying nothing!  ;)

You're welcome!

Generous to a fault!  :D

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 12:56:56 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 07, 2011, 12:34:08 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 07, 2011, 12:19:05 AM
Quote from: clarshack on August 07, 2011, 12:13:04 AM
despite how poor tyrone were, that must be the best dublin have played since the heffernan days. dont forget they could/should have had 4 goals as well. in my lifetime i cant recall tyrone ever conceding 20+ points.

however, the big problem for dublin now is that they are going to have to reproduce that performance 2 more times to win all ireland. believe it or not, jim mcguinness may be a happy man tonite instead of a worried one.

I genuinely don't think so.
Look at their form line vs. Donegals.
Donegal narrowly beat Tyrone and Kildare (aided by some dodgy reffing).
Dublin annihilated Tyrone and beat Kildare with 14 men.
I think they can play well within themselves and still beat Donegal by 4 or 5 points.
That would set them up nicely for the final which either way (waves at Mayo friends) they will be massively motivated for.
Aye, but it's a totally different game when Donegal are playing. They are not going to stuff anyone. It's not in their game. Donegal would be happy to score 2 points, in the knowledge that they could stop their opponents scoring more than 2 points.
The Dubs thrived playing Tyrone as they were able to take scores, due to the space they were given.
It's hard to see them getting an inch of space against Donegal and it will be interesting how they deal with it.

The Dubs counter attack at a ridiculous speed though.
It's usually 2/3 quick handpasses to a runner coming out, kick pass to the wing, maybe another quick offload then another kick pass into the FF line.
They won't just run it up to the Donegal half back line like Kildare did.
The reason there was so much space for the Dubs today is they have support runners coming from everywhere at pace.
Kildare were very fit, but they didn't have the pace this Dublin team have.
They also didn't have the range of scoring options Dublin have.
Dublin are now, where Donegal might be in a year or two, i.e. they have figured out the optimum system of play for the players at their disposal which balances defence and attack without sacrificing one for the other.
I'd put the house on Dublin coming out on top.

Where's your house, Jinxy? I fancy a change of scenery. Do you fancy living in Cork? Sorry – silly question.

I like Dublin's style of play. You sum it up well and there's a lot to admire about it. Also, while I genuinely don't care who wins it, I would wish this Dublin group well. They have a great attitude and anything they achieve will have been hard earned.

However, I'm letting my bet on Donegal to win outright ride until after the semi. Where I disagree with your analysis of how it will go is that kicking it in to the FF line from distance won't do any good when there's not just a sweeper, unlike last night, but five to eight Donegal players in there, who won't have left the area no matter what's been happening up the other end.

What do Dublin do then? I think they will struggle for scores. Connolly will not get a square inch of space and Bernard Brogan likewise. Dublin will not run through the Donegal tackles as they did against Tyrone, especially when it's not coming onto the ball at speed but working from a static start as they handpass around the maze that will be the Donegal 45-metre area.

Yeah but Dublin were so far out of sight of Tyrone that most of the scores came when the game was over and the big thing is Tyrone scored once they threw lots of players forward and left lots of space at the back, will Donegal do that??

goh4205

Fair play Dublin, best team won by country mile and should have won by more really. thought McQuillan had a decent enough game, apart from the Joe McMahon incident in the 1st half. Can't for the life of me understand why he blew McMahon up for free in, even few Dub lads infront thought it was a joke of a free.
Have to say the Dublin fellas infront of me were great craic & dye hard supporters as well by the sound of them, good to see true GAA fans from the city and have the banter to go with it, its what our game is all about.

Hardy

Quote from: goh4205 on August 07, 2011, 12:18:18 PM
Fair play Dublin, best team won by country mile and should have won by more really. thought McQuillan had a decent enough game, apart from the Joe McMahon incident in the 1st half. Can't for the life of me understand why he blew McMahon up for free in, even few Dub lads infront thought it was a joke of a free.

I thought the same in real time, but changed my mind when I saw the replay. That's why I'm not a referee.

Some here disagree and thought Brogan fouled McMahon before McMahon grabbed his arm and held it to simulate the foul. Maybe so. I thought it was 50-50 at best, but either way, it was good to see a referee catch the old arm-holding trick for once.

Fear ón Srath Bán

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: goh4205 on August 07, 2011, 12:18:18 PM
Have to say the Dublin fellas infront of me were great craic & dye hard supporters as well by the sound of them, good to see true GAA fans from the city and have the banter to go with it, its what our game is all about.

Brogan went into tackle McMahon who grabbed his arm and fell over pulling Brogan down with him.....it's actually one of the things that frustrates me so much with players dragging guys down on top of them to get a free.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.