Started by Radda bout yeee, July 05, 2011, 11:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: general_lee on January 11, 2016, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 05, 2011, 07:04:51 PM
Quote from: clubland on September 05, 2011, 06:51:12 PM
Viscount dungannon,best eating house in the wee six
::) ::) ::)

Overpriced muck for people who know nothing about food and full of snobs. Probably one of the most underwhelming places I've ever ate in and most deffinately still living off it's reputation 15 years ago when there was no real competition to compare it against.
Finally got round to sampling this Viscounts place. I always suspected Tyrone people lacked finesse, well I got confirmation after dining here. I went in with an open mind but jees that was a let down. Not bad but definitely NOT good. Wouldn't go back. Especially with Malachy Cush swanning around getting his photo took

On an aside I was in Cavan last week and had a feed in the Blackhorse. Good value and great service, for a pub!
You are correct on all counts about Tyrone people and Viscount's in general. Haven't been in it for years and maybe it was a beacon back when there weren't many decent restaurants about but I thought it was very, very average. Like The Old Barn in Markethill and The Famous Grouse Loughgall. All came with recommendations from locals but I would say all are spots for people who like "a wile feed". There is nothing wrong with a wile feed but it has to taste nice too. The one criticism I have of all of these places is the lack of seasoning on food. I brought it up withsomeone who worked in one of these places and they said that rural people generally like plain food and can add their own salt and pepper if required.  ???

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: smort on January 11, 2016, 01:33:59 PM

Much prefer Brewers House in Donaghmore a few miles out the road.

+1 on Brewers house

Always had a good feed in it and would rate it above Viscounts. (although Viscounts certainly isn't bad)
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Don Johnson

Was in Coppi in Belfast on Saturday night, as good a feed as I have had in ages. Can't wait to go back which is always a good sign.

general_lee

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 11, 2016, 01:36:12 PM
Quote from: general_lee on January 11, 2016, 01:27:25 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 05, 2011, 07:04:51 PM
::) ::) ::)

Overpriced muck for people who know nothing about food and full of snobs. Probably one of the most underwhelming places I've ever ate in and most deffinately still living off it's reputation 15 years ago when there was no real competition to compare it against.
Finally got round to sampling this Viscounts place. I always suspected Tyrone people lacked finesse, well I got confirmation after dining here. I went in with an open mind but jees that was a let down. Not bad but definitely NOT good. Wouldn't go back. Especially with Malachy Cush swanning around getting his photo took

On an aside I was in Cavan last week and had a feed in the Blackhorse. Good value and great service, for a pub!
You are correct on all counts about Tyrone people and Viscount's in general. Haven't been in it for years and maybe it was a beacon back when there weren't many decent restaurants about but I thought it was very, very average. Like The Old Barn in Markethill and The Famous Grouse Loughgall. All came with recommendations from locals but I would say all are spots for people who like "a wile feed". There is nothing wrong with a wile feed but it has to taste nice too. The one criticism I have of all of these places is the lack of seasoning on food. I brought it up withsomeone who worked in one of these places and they said that rural people generally like plain food and can add their own salt and pepper if required.  ???
The place bunged too lol

I'm all in favour of a good ating session, but I prefer it in carvery form and ideally with a hangover at a reasonable price. If they were in belfast they'd be crucified with their pricing

Milltown Row2

Had lunch in Sweet Afton last week, was great if a bit expensive.. plenty food on your plate too
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Rois

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2016, 02:54:42 PM
Had lunch in Sweet Afton last week, was great if a bit expensive.. plenty food on your plate too
My new favourite spot, had lunch there on Friday too with some friends.  Thought the express menu was decent value.  We had a Christmas do at it for 18 people and everyone raved about the food afterwards.

seafoid

Oranmore Lodge Co Galway

Fabulous lunch in a great location.

Man Marker

One of the best restaurants that I have ate in is 'Church Street' Restaurant in Magherafelt, it is slightly pricey, and you do not get a 'wile feed', but the cooking is of a very high quality.

smort

Quote from: Man Marker on January 11, 2016, 03:32:27 PM
One of the best restaurants that I have ate in is 'Church Street' Restaurant in Magherafelt, it is slightly pricey, and you do not get a 'wile feed', but the cooking is of a very high quality.

+1

Quality food in Church Street

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Rois on January 11, 2016, 02:56:41 PM
My new favourite spot, had lunch there on Friday too with some friends.  Thought the express menu was decent value.  We had a Christmas do at it for 18 people and everyone raved about the food afterwards.

we were greedy though... Id the seafood chowder, followed by steak!! misses had the Pate for starters, fish cakes for main (which were massive) Bottle of wine, A Guinness and two cocktails!!

If was just heading in for a quick bite I couldn't recommend the Chowder highly enough... was a serious big pot and the wheaten was lovely!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

What are the wine lists like up North?

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2016, 05:23:20 PM

Generally Blue Nun,  Beaujolais nouveau and some Albanian fizzy stuff.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2016, 03:50:10 PM

we were greedy though... Id the seafood chowder, followed by steak!! misses had the Pate for starters, fish cakes for main (which were massive) Bottle of wine, A Guinness and two cocktails!!

If was just heading in for a quick bite I couldn't recommend the Chowder highly enough... was a serious big pot and the wheaten was lovely!
Your missus not drinking?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: armaghniac on January 11, 2016, 06:58:11 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 11, 2016, 05:23:20 PM

Generally Blue Nun,  Beaujolais nouveau and some Albanian fizzy stuff.
You forgot Black Tower over ice.

Mikhailov

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2016, 03:50:10 PM

Jeez MR2 - that's some feed you and the missus had for a lunchtime bite. Wouldn't like to feeding you both in the evening time with food or drink !!