Ulster Senior Football Final 17th July - Derry v Donegal

Started by tbrick18, June 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kerry Mike

A fine win well done . Nice to see a new winner. Bradleys bros were a huge loss to Derry
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

nobackdoor

Quote from: playerfit on July 18, 2011, 07:46:36 PM
Yeah but take the donegal pen out of it as it should not have been given and put in the derry one that should have been given that wipes out the six points. Without the pen would donegal have got them two points or kill off game the way they did I doubt it. Neither team had started second half too well and the ball in for pen was more a hopeful punt than a pass. And just cause u write a wee bita irish at end of a post don't make ur points any more correct

If the roles had been reversed and Derry had been awarded a dodgy peno, I honestly believe the Donegal players would have rolled up their sleeves and still have won the game comfortably.

You could see throughout the second half that they were the more determined players with a steely attitude. Donegal also had a game plan and 2 forwards capable of executing it.

What was Derry's game plan, it certainly wasn't apparent during the 70 min's.

Brennan's pathetic whine is just an attempt to take the heat away from his inept gameplan and inability to upset the Donegal mass defence. I would have expected more from a man of Brennans experience. He should have taken his beating like a man and accepted that Derry were second best on the day and at that a poor second.

I can only see one outcome for Derry on Sat.

Auf wiedersehn!
The backdoor has ruined it

glens abu

Quote from: nobackdoor on July 18, 2011, 09:35:33 PM
Quote from: playerfit on July 18, 2011, 07:46:36 PM
Yeah but take the donegal pen out of it as it should not have been given and put in the derry one that should have been given that wipes out the six points. Without the pen would donegal have got them two points or kill off game the way they did I doubt it. Neither team had started second half too well and the ball in for pen was more a hopeful punt than a pass. And just cause u write a wee bita irish at end of a post don't make ur points any more correct

If the roles had been reversed and Derry had been awarded a dodgy peno, I honestly believe the Donegal players would have rolled up their sleeves and still have won the game comfortably.

You could see throughout the second half that they were the more determined players with a steely attitude. Donegal also had a game plan and 2 forwards capable of executing it.

What was Derry's game plan, it certainly wasn't apparent during the 70 min's.

Brennan's pathetic whine is just an attempt to take the heat away from his inept gameplan and inability to upset the Donegal mass defence. I would have expected more from a man of Brennans experience. He should have taken his beating like a man and accepted that Derry were second best on the day and at that a poor second.

I can only see one outcome for Derry on Sat.

Auf wiedersehn!

+1

playerfit

Tbh sundays conditions suited donegal in that the main weapons to beat a team with donegals tatics were negated as long range point taking and accurate long passing are made nearly impossible. Meaning that donegal had time to get back and pack defence. Maybe if roles reversed donegal would have won any way but only because brennans derry don't do packed defenses like donegal do with their anti football approach. Don't get me wrong donegal did what they thought they needed to win and made most of what ref gave them I hope derry would have done same in that situation. But I don't but into the notion that donegal would have won penalty or not as it was even up till that point. Derry may be on way out but there has been strides forward for derry and the mental block of not getting to final next step is to win one. Kildare this sat won't get it as easy as a lot of u boys seem to think.

Kerry Mike

Where were all the great Ulster supporters we hear about all the time , Clones looked half empty the last day for 2 teams who have won feck all for years you would have thought a full house would have been on offer with plenty of neutrals, a biteen of rain hardly turned ye all off. Jaysus Kerry and Cork had over 40k a few weeks ago and we're sick of playing each other every year !!
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Real Talk

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 18, 2011, 08:56:08 PM
A fine win well done . Nice to see a new winner. Bradleys bros were a huge loss to Derry

Eoin Bradley is a massive loss.  He plays much better without Paddy and Donegal will prove to be a diffucult team to beat.  They have conceeded an average of 8pts in their champioship games, must admit the oposition was not terrifice except for Tyrone who usually rack up 15/16 points a game but not against Donegal

playerfit

Also brennans tactic of blaming ref and not players is his way of trying to lift his players for the kildare match and maybe create an us against the world mentality in them. Might work not easy to bring players back to their feet so soon after a defeat in a final

nobackdoor

Quote from: playerfit on July 18, 2011, 10:26:59 PM
Tbh sundays conditions suited donegal in that the main weapons to beat a team with donegals tatics were negated as long range point taking and accurate long passing are made nearly impossible. Meaning that donegal had time to get back and pack defence. Maybe if roles reversed donegal would have won any way but only because brennans derry don't do packed defenses like donegal do with their anti football approach. Don't get me wrong donegal did what they thought they needed to win and made most of what ref gave them I hope derry would have done same in that situation. But I don't but into the notion that donegal would have won penalty or not as it was even up till that point. Derry may be on way out but there has been strides forward for derry and the mental block of not getting to final next step is to win one. Kildare this sat won't get it as easy as a lot of u boys seem to think.

I read an article about Brennan in the Irish Times on Sat. He said that footballs a simple game, you have to get your forwards to score and your defenders to defend.

That seemed to be his gameplan on Sunday, which obviously failed to work. Fail for Brennan.

Maybe it's not as simple as you think Brennan. He should have devised some tactic to try and counter the swarm Donegal defence.

The jury remains out on Brennan this year. Derry beat a hopeless Fermanagh team and an Armagh team that are on the slide. I saw Armagh get hammered in the league by a 14 man Cork team and realised that they're a spent force at the game.

So your point about Derry having improved this year is fairly suspect. If Kildare beat ye well, which I suspect they will, would you consider it to be a successful season?
The backdoor has ruined it

playerfit

I would as these players had a mental block in that they lost 7 semis. We finally won one it might not be lot in your. Eyes but I feel its something derry can build on. Brennan is old fashioned but at this moment in time that's what derry need. Hopefully we can build from here

Orangemac

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 18, 2011, 10:28:35 PM
Where were all the great Ulster supporters we hear about all the time , Clones looked half empty the last day for 2 teams who have won feck all for years you would have thought a full house would have been on offer with plenty of neutrals, a biteen of rain hardly turned ye all off. Jaysus Kerry and Cork had over 40k a few weeks ago and we're sick of playing each other every year !!
Derry would never bring massive crowds anywhere and this was not really a game which would have stood out for neutrals.

Kerry and Cork are the best 2 teams in the country and would have drawn supporters from outside the 2 counties. I seem to remember poor enough crowds for Cork v Kerry around 2006. When Armagh and Tyrone were 2 of the top 3 we drew 60k to Croke Park and 20k to Casement for a McKenna cup game.

Blowitupref

Great to see Brian McEniff on the field after the game.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

sheamy

Quote from: nobackdoor on July 18, 2011, 10:38:44 PM

I read an article about Brennan in the Irish Times on Sat. He said that footballs a simple game, you have to get your forwards to score and your defenders to defend.

That seemed to be his gameplan on Sunday, which obviously failed to work. Fail for Brennan.

Maybe it's not as simple as you think Brennan. He should have devised some tactic to try and counter the swarm Donegal defence.

The jury remains out on Brennan this year. Derry beat a hopeless Fermanagh team and an Armagh team that are on the slide. I saw Armagh get hammered in the league by a 14 man Cork team and realised that they're a spent force at the game.

So your point about Derry having improved this year is fairly suspect. If Kildare beat ye well, which I suspect they will, would you consider it to be a successful season?

Derry were within two completely wrong refereeing decisions of an Ulster title with a totally decimated squad. I'd call that progress alright given where the team was last year. We'll ask him to tell the Irish Times his tactics next time so you can be informed.

If Donegal had to play on Sunday without Murphy and McFadden, how do you think they would have done?

J OGorman

Quote from: Thastheball on July 19, 2011, 10:25:20 AM

If either had of been on or both the result would have been the same as Derry have always and including this game been unable to play against the blanket defense. Where is your evidense to suggest anything else.

Evidence? Not that it means ought now, but if both Bradleys had been on the pitch, they would have had @ least 2 Donegal players hanging off each of them. That would have left a hell of a lot more space and Donegal personnel to curb Gilligan, Lynch, et al...

FERDIE

I have to disagree with Thastheball there. The Derry team have made a lot of progress under Brennan. he hasn't the same quality of players that Cassidy made a mess off. Fergal Dohrety and the Bradleys. Brennan has charisma and personality and a feeling for his players. Cassidy was arragant and the players hated him, it was all about Cassidy, not the players. He had a distasteful hatred of Gilligan and Paddy Bradley, just because they wanted to be different and he couldn't handle that type of player, he wanted robots. Derry mightn't be that good but at least you get the feeling that they are proud to wear the shirt and that is good enough for me. It wasn't like that for the past two years.

DoireGael

Quote from: sheamy on July 19, 2011, 08:25:06 AM
Quote from: nobackdoor on July 18, 2011, 10:38:44 PM

Derry were within two completely wrong refereeing decisions of an Ulster title with a totally decimated squad. I'd call that progress alright given where the team was last year. We'll ask him to tell the Irish Times his tactics next time so you can be informed.

If Donegal had to play on Sunday without Murphy and McFadden, how do you think they would have done?

+1