Ulster Senior Football Final 17th July - Derry v Donegal

Started by tbrick18, June 26, 2011, 09:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheamy

Quote from: EC Unique on July 18, 2011, 02:16:19 PM
JB would need to get his own eyesight tested. He winges about the ref not consulting with the umpires when he clearly did!

Did you watch the game? If you did you'll notice he awarded the penalty first, then dandered over for a chat. Feckin Tyrone men talking shite again.

Bogball XV

Quote from: sheamy on July 18, 2011, 02:21:55 PM
JB would need to get his own eyesight tested. He winges about the ref not consulting with the umpires when he clearly did!

Did you watch the game? If you did you'll notice he awarded the penalty first, then dandered over for a chat. Feckin Tyrone men talking shite again.
But he could have reversed his decision as the ref did the night before in the Waterford v Limerick game.

Bogball XV

Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2011, 02:06:17 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on July 18, 2011, 01:54:05 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 18, 2011, 01:40:19 PM
Are those crying about the Donegal penalty claiming that the rule is that if two players are going for a ball, one gets a touch, knocking it on, the other misses it completely and takes the first player out, that it is not a foul? Is that in the rules somewhere?
Of course that's a foul.  But that doesn't describe the incident I saw, you saw it differently, the ref hardly saw it all.  Murphy was as shocked as anybody when the penalty was awarded.
For my money, Murphy stumbled backwards over Devlin (who shouldn't have been there, but that's moot).
I'm not so sure about the seond penalty, but even if we'd scored we'd never have managed two more points against that wind and the massed donegal defence.

I suggest you look at it again. Both were coming from opposite directions chasing the ball. Devlin clearly slid into Murphy and tripped him. Absolutely no doubt in my mind that it was the correct decision.

fair enough, wasn't a penalty imo and opinion amongst the tv analysts and the papers today seems fairly evenly split on it.

J70

Quote from: Oak Leafer on July 18, 2011, 01:55:36 PM
Firstly, congratulations to Donegal. They deserved their Ulster title and worked hard for it.

However, i think Derry played poorly and if referee had been unbiased we would have been in game to the death.

I'm sick to the teeth of Northern teams being treated badly by southern referee's.

I've been watching county football for 20 years and am convinced its no coincidence that southern referee's always favour the southern team, if up against a northern opponent.

The 'free staters' will undoubtedly point to our paranoia. However i'm backing JB outburst here....why should he stay quiet?

Is he he stating anything other than the truth?

Well I certainly would question your paranoia, just based on my experience. I've seen Donegal hard done quite a few times in games against northern teams, including games reffed by southerners. Refs makes mistakes. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes it doesn't. You whinge about it when it goes against you and then get on with it.

sheamy

Lads, leave the fcking penalties alone! End of. Over now.

Brennan had a rant which he was well entitled to do. Sanitised manger speak is crap anyway. The man calls it like it is.

He'll have forgotten about it this evening and be thinking forward. Good luck to Donegal for the rest of the year. Good hard working team.

tbrick18

Quote from: sheamy on July 18, 2011, 02:49:13 PM
Lads, leave the fcking penalties alone! End of. Over now.

Brennan had a rant which he was well entitled to do. Sanitised manger speak is crap anyway. The man calls it like it is.

He'll have forgotten about it this evening and be thinking forward. Good luck to Donegal for the rest of the year. Good hard working team.

+1
I dont think anyone in Derry has any animosity towards Donegal at all and I for one wish them well.
IMO the ref got both penalty decisions wrong and let Donegal away with a lot of fouling....but that's not Donegal's fault. If we couild have got away with it I'd have been happy enough to win the title too! I'm trying not to be biased but I do believe Derry suffered a lot at the hands of the ref yesterday. Anyway, all in the past now, we've to pick ourselves up for Kildare.
Good luck to Donegal for the rest of the year.

EC Unique

Yes I did watch it. I seen him award a penalty, Derry players surrounding him asking for him to consult the umpires, he did and still gave the penalty. Where is the shite talk?

jodyb

Quote from: EC Unique on July 18, 2011, 06:04:08 PM

Yes I did watch it. I seen him award a penalty, Derry players surrounding him asking for him to consult the umpires, he did and still gave the penalty. Where is the shite talk?
shuda consulted first. Once he had called the penalty, he was never reversing the call

nobackdoor

The penalty was harsh IMO.

However Brennan's team were beat off the pitch in the second half. Derry scored a sum total of 3 points in the second half which is a pitiful return at this level. Derry should have used the ball more effectively and come up with some plan to negate Donegal's mass defence.

Derry are almost impotent without the Bradley bros and on Sat night, Kildare will beat seven lumps of shite out of them and Brennan will have another whine.

Derry & Brennan will be out of the championship and we won't have to listen to your whining anymore. You're just nowhere near what's required, so don't be blaming the ref for your ineptness lads.
The backdoor has ruined it

playerfit

Nobackdoor ur contradicting urself now as it was the penalty that kick started donegals second half dominance and I think they would not have played so well without it. The penalty gave donegal upper hand and the room to impose their ultra defensive style on rest of game

nobackdoor

Quote from: playerfit on July 18, 2011, 06:52:39 PM
Nobackdoor ur contradicting urself now as it was the penalty that kick started donegals second half dominance and I think they would not have played so well without it. The penalty gave donegal upper hand and the room to impose their ultra defensive style on rest of game

It certainly gave Donegal some momentum, but the gap at the end was 6 points. The sign of a good team is that resilience to triumph in the face of adversity.  Derry are very far from beiang a good team and as I alraedy stated they were lamentable on Sunday. Donegal dominated the second half of the game and Derry were patently lacking any sort of game plan.

Brennan is a great man to whine, maybe he should look a bit closer to home at himself and his players to see where the real reasons of the loss reside.

IMO the form of the Ulster final will take a hammering in the latter stages of the championship, Donegal will be exposed as being a mediocre side and Derry, well they've already been revealed as  a team of journeymen at best.

Slan Doire, ta sibh an lag
The backdoor has ruined it

playerfit

Yeah but take the donegal pen out of it as it should not have been given and put in the derry one that should have been given that wipes out the six points. Without the pen would donegal have got them two points or kill off game the way they did I doubt it. Neither team had started second half too well and the ball in for pen was more a hopeful punt than a pass. And just cause u write a wee bita irish at end of a post don't make ur points any more correct

robbiegael

Quote from: nobackdoor on July 18, 2011, 06:21:31 PM
The penalty was harsh IMO.

However Brennan's team were beat off the pitch in the second half. Derry scored a sum total of 3 points in the second half which is a pitiful return at this level. Derry should have used the ball more effectively and come up with some plan to negate Donegal's mass defence.

Derry are almost impotent without the Bradley bros and on Sat night, Kildare will beat seven lumps of shite out of them and Brennan will have another whine.

Derry & Brennan will be out of the championship and we won't have to listen to your whining anymore. You're just nowhere near what's required, so don't be blaming the ref for your ineptness lads.

You don't understand the psychology of management - Brennan is putting himself in the spotlight to take the pressure off the players - he might even be sitting in the stands at Croker on Saturday. Derry don't fear Kildare and it will be closer than you are predicting.

J70

Quote from: jodyb on July 18, 2011, 06:17:18 PM
Quote from: EC Unique on July 18, 2011, 06:04:08 PM

shuda consulted first. Once he had called the penalty, he was never reversing the call

Perhaps not (although another did it only the previous evening), but irrelevant in the end as he made the correct decision anyway and the umpires very probably told him so! :)

DennistheMenace

Never a penalty but Derry didn't deserve it anyway.