Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

criostlinn

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 18, 2011, 05:48:31 PM
Quote from: ross4life on July 18, 2011, 03:55:37 PM
Back in 1991 a 19 year old Derek Duggan nerves of steel on frees was a enough to beat Mayo & win a Connacht title, strange 20 years on it was roles reversed.

If my memory is right, he struck the winner from a placed ball out close to the halfway line in the dying seconds.

The half way line, not at all. It was least back on his own 45. And still rising as it left the ground

ross4life

Quote from: criostlinn on July 18, 2011, 05:57:36 PM
Back in 1991 a 19 year old Derek Duggan nerves of steel on frees was a enough to beat Mayo & win a Connacht title, strange 20 years on it was roles reversed.

If my memory is right, he struck the winner from a placed ball out close to the halfway line in the dying seconds.

The half way line, not at all. It was least back on his own 45. And still rising as it left the ground

Are you guys on about the first game in Mchale park? in the Hyde park replay Duggan kicked 7 frees & one 45/50.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

criostlinn

Quote from: ross4life on July 18, 2011, 06:02:56 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on July 18, 2011, 05:57:36 PM

Are you guys on about the first game in Mchale park? in the Hyde park replay Duggan kicked 7 frees & one 45/50.

Equalising point in castlebar

ildanach

Quote from: muscles magoo on July 18, 2011, 12:27:01 PM
Can Mayo actually get Tyrone? Assuming the Tyrone v Armagh game is next weekend along with the 3 final round qualifier games and the quarter final draw is made afterwards, surely we cannot be drawn against them as there would be a chance we'd end up playing Roscommon again in the quarter final...?

if they make the draw next weekend we can not get the teams involved in the roscommon tie, but if it supposed to be an opendraw,then the draw would have to be put back a week. but this will not happen

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Tatler Jack

Congrats to Mayo and the Mayo posters here. Nothing in really but our inexperience showed. O'Gara was a huge loss - would have made a big difference. Who got MoM - I fellt Richie Feeney deserved it - exactly the kind of player you need on a day like that.

Not too disappointed - we are improving, the players battled hard and we made mistakes that you get away with in Div 4. If players and management learn from the mistakes then it might serve us better in the long run than sneaking a win.

Horan has Mayo well organised and playing with spirit. However conditions were too bad yesterday to assess their potential.

Kerry Mike

Well done Mayo. Wouldn't it be nice if we both won our quarter finals. Tis years since we played a bit of caid up in Jones road
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 18, 2011, 08:52:42 PM
Well done Mayo. Wouldn't it be nice if we both won our quarter finals. Tis years since we played a bit of caid up in Jones road

Looking for another handy one KM!!

galwayman

As others have said you can't really blame the two teams for it not being a good game given the dreadful conditions. You are just not going to get open football on a day like that.
I felt Ros were the architects of their own downfall with their tactics in the first half.Time and again they kept soloing and handpassing out of defence and then losing it before it got anywhere near the danger area.In conditions like that and playing with a gale force wind behind them surely they should have been letting the ball into the full forward line early and often.

Mayo used the elements far better. Several times they just launched the ball into the ff line and ended up getting frees that won them the game. Ros should have been more direct. They seemed to be very reliant on Donie Shine - even more so given that Kilbride had an off day.

Rossfan

Quote from: galwayman on July 18, 2011, 09:18:49 PM

I felt Ros were the architects of their own downfall with their tactics in the first half.Time and again they kept soloing and handpassing out of defence and then losing it before it got anywhere near the danger area.In conditions like that and playing with a gale force wind behind them surely they should have been letting the ball into the full forward line early and often.

Mayo used the elements far better. Several times they just launched the ball into the ff line and ended up getting frees that won them the game. Ros should have been more direct. They seemed to be very reliant on Donie Shine - even more so given that Kilbride had an off day.
We were obsessed with flutin around hand passing and soloing when it sould have been long and direct with a gale behind us in the first half. Also we should have gone with 6 forwards lined out in the traditional manner so that there was always bodies to aim long clearances at.
Overall defence and midfield was sound enough but it was back to 2010 as far as forwards were concerned i.e Donie on his own.
We were very very poor going forward in the second half.
Yet bad and all as we played and despite all the silly errors we could still have sneaked it.... but maybe it will be more beneficial in the long run. Mind you it was hard to think of that  coming out of the Hyde yesterday .
Why did the Connachtn Council have to send all the way to Cork for that Collins. They could have found a ref every bit as bloody bad nearer home. Talk about decisions favouring the "big" teams .... >:(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

moysider

Quote from: Rossfan on July 18, 2011, 09:33:37 PM
Quote from: galwayman on July 18, 2011, 09:18:49 PM

We were obsessed with flutin around hand passing and soloing when it sould have been long and direct with a gale behind us in the first half. Also we should have gone with 6 forwards lined out in the traditional manner so that there was always bodies to aim long clearances at.
Overall defence and midfield was sound enough but it was back to 2010 as far as forwards were concerned i.e Donie on his own.
We were very very poor going forward in the second half.
Yet bad and all as we played and despite all the silly errors we could still have sneaked it.... but maybe it will be more beneficial in the long run. Mind you it was hard to think of that  coming out of the Hyde yesterday .
Why did the Connachtn Council have to send all the way to Cork for that Collins. They could have found a ref every bit as bloody bad nearer home. Talk about decisions favouring the "big" teams .... >:(

What big team did Collins favour yesterday???

I m still trying to get my head around yesterdays match and around the whole Connacht championship to be honest. I can t remember Mayo beating both Galway and Ros in the one summer and being not much the wiser. If you did that back in the day you could look forward to the next game with some degree of optimism but this year ..... well there s an unreal feel about it. Probably due to the conditions the games were played in and the subdued atmosphere at the games. They weren t a bit like a summer championship.

As regards the Roscommon tactics yesterday I think people are being a bit simplistic about what Ros was supposed to do with the gale. Typically Spillane will say that they should have hoofed the ball long and often but most people know better. With that gale most of that ball would be uncontrollable and skid out of play and just kill time. More 'measured' attempts to find the inside forwards with shorter kicks were cut out by the covering defender - usually Higgins. Where I would have been critical of Ros is that a few guys could have got shots off earlier when they had the wind but seemed to be reluctant to have a cut themselves even when well within range. There was also a lack of urgency I thought and Shine just strolled out to take frees and 45s. As it turned out 4 points was not going to be enough unless at least 1 goal flew in in the second half. As it was Mayo never had to chase the lead and could be patient reeling it back. Apart from once or twice Mayo always kept their back covered in the second half. Both teams would have trained in mostly dry conditions and the ball would have been buzzing about. Mayo especially yesterday were trying to fling the ball about and naturally a lot of it was spilled. But you just have to accept that. Wet or not the game still will be played with much more intensity than in the spring and with players losing their feet and the ball like a bar of soap it was going to be messy. I would be less forgiving with some of the attempted pick-ups though

Going forward it is hard to know. Like the last 2 games we ll have to wait and see on the day but there are some concerns. I think most would agree that 3 and 6 are far from nailed down, notwithstanding how bad the conditions were. Another thing that puzzled me was how late McGarrity was introduced. If he was fit to take any part I would have expected him with 15 to go but maybe Horan was confident we could get the job done without him. I dunno. Maybe he s still badly crocked. While SOS was not as effective as against Galway it should be remember that he was injured going into that and may not be fully right. As well as that I doubt thre are many better midfield pairings than Ros left - especially on a day like that where very little could be done to split the two of them. But I dont think we can afford to have Doc, Freeman and CoC on the field if we re struggling in midfield. Hopefully Ronan will be fit to start the next day. With the likes of Darragh and McGrane gone Mcgarrity s time may well have come. He s the right age now and could be one of the dominant midfielders about.
I also regret that our games were not played in better conditions where Freeman and Doherty especially could have got a few more scores and played themselves into a bit of confidence. We could also do with a Brian McGuigan type at 11. Yesterday O Connor played a few lovely cushioned passes off the laces and he will be our 11 before long I think. The quick free to Kevin McLoughlin that resulted in the point before half time was excellent from both. An invaluable score and coming from 2 of the younger lads.

Kerry Mike

QuoteLooking for another handy one KM!!

If they were all so handy to win why have Cork only got 7  :D :D
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

spectator

Quote from: Tatler Jack on July 18, 2011, 08:32:39 PM
Not too disappointed - we are improving, the players battled hard and we made mistakes that you get away with in Div 4. If players and management learn from the mistakes then it might serve us better in the long run than sneaking a win.

Interestingly, I came to the same conclusion yesterday evening also, Tatler. 

Well done to Mayo who I thought deserved their win, with a performance where they dug in, battled well and worked hard for each other throughout.

While the game saw some bizarre reffing decisions, Ros made too many errors throughout and lacked the experience to change their approach on the hoof as the game unfolded. The worrying signs during the Leitrim game that our delivery into the forwards was lacking became more evident yesterday, albeit in much worse weather conditions. Our bench was nowhere near strong enough to be effective, unfortunately, unlike Mayo's. It's a steep learning curve for us at this stage, but i'm hopeful we'll have the wherewithal to bounce back and play a more direct game, with Cregger & Wardie's etc attacking qualities being used to mix things up a bit more the next day out.

As for Mayo, they seem to have developed a battling, tenacious quality to their game this year which is always a good sign in a team. If they can get their FF line more involved and contributing from play, and also sort out the FB difficulties evident yesterday, they could well surprise the naysayers and give a good account of themselves in the quarters yet.

Blowitupref

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 17, 2011, 10:45:47 PM
anyone any stats on wides/frees/kickouts won etc.???

Wides Roscommon 9 Mayo 7
Frees awarded Roscommon 20 Mayo 23
Midfield clean/breaks won Roscommon 21 Mayo 14
Scoring chances Roscommon 11/24 Mayo 13/23
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tatler Jack

Quote from: Kerry Mike on July 18, 2011, 10:23:16 PM
QuoteLooking for another handy one KM!!

If they were all so handy to win why have Cork only got 7  :D :D

Don't know KM - you should ask a Cork man. Maybe for the same reason that ye have only one hurling AI!!!

AbbeySider

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 19, 2011, 03:58:09 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on July 17, 2011, 10:45:47 PM
anyone any stats on wides/frees/kickouts won etc.???

Wides Roscommon 9 Mayo 7
Frees awarded Roscommon 20 Mayo 23
Midfield clean/breaks won Roscommon 21 Mayo 14
Scoring chances Roscommon 11/24 Mayo 13/23

Where did you get those Stats?