Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

So I guess the Rossies are all flat out making flags this week .... 'You may have taken our A&E, but you'll never take our Nestor Cup.'
Breaking ball ... Mayo devoured Galway on it in a manner I haven't seen since v Offaly in '97. A repeat dose of that will see Mayo win regardless of what the Rossies do.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 10, 2011, 12:22:00 PM
I see the game is being played at Dr Hyde park - how much of an advantage would that be to Roscommon do you think ?

The reason i ask is because I backed Roscommon for Connaught at 10/1 before the start of the championship on the basis that they had an easy enough path to the final.

Stuck £25 on it. Now they are there i'm almost tempted to completely hedge it and stick potential winnings on Mayo.

I'd be looking at the outright market (i.e. to lift the cup) if i do hedge it, as i'd wanna take the danger of a draw out of the equation !

Hi Atticus Finch, I for one am really afraid of facing Roscommon in Hyde Park. That's why, with the huge home support behind them they may play out of their skins and end up winning the game. Hopefully it will be a good game and only a point or two in it at the end...however the losers will be left with the 6 day turn around then. Hard to know really.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mjg

Quote from: blast05 on July 10, 2011, 01:21:52 PM
So I guess the Rossies are all flat out making flags this week .... 'You may have taken our A&E, but you'll never take our Nestor Cup.'
Breaking ball ... Mayo devoured Galway on it in a manner I haven't seen since v Offaly in '97. A repeat dose of that will see Mayo win regardless of what the Rossies do.Yep that performance sent shockwaves through roscommon....... may god help us

Blowitupref

I see the game is being played at Dr Hyde park - how much of an advantage would that be to Roscommon do you think ?

I'm sure the rossies can confirm this? but i think Mayo have a good record in Hyde park.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 10, 2011, 02:50:45 PM

I'm sure the rossies can confirm this? but i think Mayo have a good record in Hyde park.
2001 was the last time ros beat mayo in the hyde. But ros haven't really had a team capable of beating mayo since then. Different story this year.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2011, 02:59:36 PM

2001 was the last time ros beat mayo in the hyde. But ros haven't really had a team capable of beating mayo since then. Different story this year.

mayogaablog.com/?page_id=387

2005 was more recent. I was at this one.

ross4life

Only 2 years ago we lost by 20pts so to turn around a defeat like that is alot to expect so soon but the Rossies should draw inspiration from Wexford... they where blown away by Dublin in 08 & since then they have pushed them all the way.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 10, 2011, 03:45:43 PM

Yeah, but Mayo won that one handy enough in the end - I was talking about last time Ros beat Mayo in the Hyde.
I think that was the day Maughan started Austy, who was the fans favourite at the time. Huge cheer went up when he was named in the starting line-up. He did well against Kerry that year as well, but never lived up to the expectations the supporters had. Showed that league form doesn't really count for much come summer.

FL/MAYO

Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2011, 04:56:54 PM

Yeah, but Mayo won that one handy enough in the end - I was talking about last time Ros beat Mayo in the Hyde.
I think that was the day Maughan started Austy, who was the fans favourite at the time. Huge cheer went up when he was named in the starting line-up. He did well against Kerry that year as well, but never lived up to the expectations the supporters had. Showed that league form doesn't really count for much come summer

sorry, misread your post, I was up most of the night looking after the local degenerates ....and not a Rossie in sight ;)

muppet

Quote from: FL/MAYO on July 10, 2011, 05:16:46 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on July 10, 2011, 04:56:54 PM

I think that was the day Maughan started Austy, who was the fans favourite at the time. Huge cheer went up when he was named in the starting line-up. He did well against Kerry that year as well, but never lived up to the expectations the supporters had. Showed that league form doesn't really count for much come summer

sorry, misread your post, I was up most of the night looking after the local degenerates ....and not a Rossie in sight ;)

I thought Tyrone's Own was further west.
MWWSI 2017

ross4life

Connacht final loser won't have a 6 day turn around now v Wicklow,Armagh or Tyrone. likely to be played in Cavan.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Doohicky

Quote from: ross4life on July 10, 2011, 06:54:37 PM
Connacht final loser won't have a 6 day turn around now v Wicklow,Armagh or Tyrone. likely to be played in Cavan.
Yeah. Would say clones would suit all possible matchups best.

Tubberman

Yeah, should be an advantage over the last few years. Still will be an awful tough task to go and beat what is likely to be a battle-hardened Tyrone or Armagh.

muppet

Quote from: Doohicky on July 10, 2011, 06:59:18 PM
Yeah. Would say clones would suit all possible matchups best.

If it is Wicklow it will hardly be played in Cavan or Clones.

If it is Mayo/Ros v Tyrone it will hardly be Cavan either. More likely Longford or Sligo.

Of course in the past these games have often become part of a Croker double header.
MWWSI 2017

Shrewdness

Dare i suggest that Armagh and Tyrone are now 2 teams trading on past glories.

Sure, neither will be easy. Never thought i'd see the day that Armagh would fail to win at home to Wicklow, and who is to say that Wicklow won't win the replay.

As for Tyrone, they are not the team they were. They only scored 0-9 against Donegal, and whilst they improved in the scoring stakes against Longford, they made heavy enough weather of winning it.

But that's all for another day. Hopefully Ros will be in a position by this time next week to let Mayo do the worrying about how good Tyrone/Armagh/Wicklow are.