Roscommon v Mayo Connacht final 2011

Started by ross4life, June 24, 2011, 07:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cuconnacht

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 11, 2011, 01:38:38 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 10, 2011, 11:26:38 PM

I d agree mostly with you Barney. I ve been saying for years that our attitude when we lose in the Connacht championship has been cruel. Irresponsible even and a real let down to the loyal support. I d expect that to change and I m sure that the current management will have prepared for the long haul.
I wouldn t expect any change to the team unless there s injuries. One possibility is Caff being used to do a job. I m not too familiar with this Roscommon team but the key to curtailing Shine and Kilbride is extremely tight marking. They don t have killer pace but are great kickers of the the ball. So it s a no brainer. You re in their face and on their toe to stop them getting shots off - not planning your next foray up the field.  Our two corner backs were not tight enough last day.
I think the twins will and should play midfield again. Ronan is hardly 100% and his impact coming in could make the difference. While we have players on the bench there is a sameness about them and the players they ll be replacing. A freshning up but little imact. Ronan the only impact really unless The Mort or Harte available. We don t have a  lot of something different and that s a worry. I could get a chastening rebuke for this but I think we have the winning of midfield. I realise that Finneran is getting good mentions in reports, and he was always going to take time to develop but I dunno. I ve seen similar long men  in Mayo sent back to their clubs after a couple FBD appearances, but we ll see next Sunday. Mannion is a top player but I m not convinced he is a top midfielder. If I was the Mayo manager I would be very disappointed with the fella matching up if Mannion was running the show.
I would go with the forwards as they were. I d persist with O Connor because he is already better than the other contenders and is going to be a lot better in the future. There could be a temptation to throw in Aidan in ff and see but I would expect that will be plan B and whether and when it is used depending on how plan A is progressing. If we do struggle in midfield and have to chase the game you could have Ronan in sooner than later and the younger twin sent in as target with one of the corner men sacrificed - even though they may be doing damn all wrong.
Of course we want to win. But it will be a pyrrhic victory if the winner draws Cork in the qf. While the loser will have a chance against Wicklow/Tyrone/Armagh.
Relieved to see you are back in action, moysider. I missed your input in recent times.
As usual, I think your analysis is spot on here.
I think the memory of our performance during the JOM era is best consigned to history. In the championship or the qualifiers there was precious little to enthuse about. Sweet damn all as a matter of fact.
I don't think Johnno was the sole culprit here but he was the gaffer and players took their cues from him. It struck me many times that all concerned were just going through the motions and were waiting for the full time whistle so they could get the hell out of the grounds.
That's why I was delighted by the Mayo display against Galway. Okay, it was pretty but it was effective. It's been years since I saw an entire team prepared to biff, bang and bullock their way through an entire game. I saw no evidence of players being unwilling to show for a pass or, when in possession letting it off to the nearest green and red jersey, regardless of the consequences.
James seems to have won the confidence of his players and they responded with a gutsy display. I think we have turned this particular corner at last.
Right now, I don't fear Roscommon but I do respect them. I don't see them giving up the fight at any stage but I can't see Mayo doing it either. Game on!
The bloody ticket prices are disgraceful but I reckon it will be money well spent.
Apart from the players' appetite for the game, I wouldn't read too much into the result in McHale Park. Conditions were lousy all through and I expect the ground will be firmer and the pace of the game much faster in the final.
I also though the corner backs were loose last day. 'Twas lucky for us that Pee Joyce didn't have a colleague or two that were capable of linking up with him and that he ran out of steam in the second half. I went along to Navan on Saturday just to see him in action, probably for the last time in a Galway jersey.
Thank God there is no Peerless Pee amongst the Roscommon forwards but whoever shows up will need tight marking.  Our entire full back line could experience problems on Sunday. Keith Higgins will need to watch his step and also his fists as the ref may be keeping a close eye on him.
Both of the O'Sheas had great games against Galway but on a hotter day and on a firmer pitch, I doubt if either could last the pace for the entire match. The going suited both in McHale Park but this may not be the case in the Hyde. I expect both will man centrefield the next day but I imagine Ronan will be brought in again.
On of the most positive aspects of James Horan's leadership is that he is not slow to make changes when he sees problems arising. Then, I suppose, the same can be said of Fergie. Sideline tactics may well have a decisive bearing on the outcome.
Lar na,id like to put the spectre of joms era not behind me(i tried that and their he turned up at ruislip as part of the train,jesus wept)but launch him and it to the dark recesses of outer space.i agree with ya on joycee,(can somebody knock him over da head ,give him amnesia,wake him up and tell him it was all a mistake and that he was actualy born n bred in foxford and give him a jersey} had meehan and armstong been fit they would have destroyed that mayo team,theres no backbone in that team,sligo last year and jesus what can only be called the miracle of london,andy will run his heart out for the county always has and always will but hes no chief,i dont agrree with horans appointment either but he,ll grow in confidence if the team can solidify,not wantin to divide the county buts its the northmayomen who handle the dog day afternoons,moysider,lar na do this for your county,cut a path through the windygap cross the deel river, knock,call him out and put a crown on his head and tell him hes just been annointed the first king of the hy fiachrach muaidh in a thousand years go back into the recesses of the county find o mahoney and most of that county board youll find them around tourmakeaddy and partry and such well famed powerhouses of football sucess, drag to shannonn let them use the bridge or not (up ta yee}go back crossmolina and hand the king his jersey apologise,tell em theres irish /foreigners knocking on our borders and say mac d go get em.seriously though i meet men of the 33 counties daily and they just laugh at the situ,they think my heather countyas  full of headers,would argentina av inflicted this on maradonna and thus themselves,would joyce be left outta any team in ireland at the behest of  a failed blueshirt who used the county job {anassisine job he did} for more bull in da dail as a springboard ,it was a tyrone man windin me up about dis yesterday till i reminded him of steve o neil pot kettle etc but at least he could retort the mistake was rectified,ask any defender in da country do they fear oconnor moran,doherty,tell them mc is back and hes togging out just now theres da  difference between a grin and a whimper.sorry about this rant but i seen my goalie take a 45 at ruislip,and men unable to put a ball dead or alive over the bar from 20yard in mchale park.sermon over sorry

AbbeySider

balderdash

bal·der·dash [bawl-der-dash]

noun

Definitions (3)

1. senseless, stupid, or exaggerated talk or writing; nonsense.

2. Obsolete . a muddled mixture of liquors.

Lar na,id like to put the spectre of joms era not behind me(i tried that and their he turned up at ruislip as part of the train,jesus wept)but launch him and it to the dark recesses of outer space.i agree with ya on joycee,(can somebody knock him over da head ,give him amnesia,wake him up and tell him it was all a mistake and that he was actualy born n bred in foxford and give him a jersey} had meehan and armstong been fit they would have destroyed that mayo team,theres no backbone in that team,sligo last year and jesus what can only be called the miracle of london,andy will run his heart out for the county always has and always will but hes no chief,i dont agrree with horans appointment either but he,ll grow in confidence if the team can solidify,not wantin to divide the county buts its the northmayomen who handle the dog day afternoons,moysider,lar na do this for your county,cut a path through the windygap cross the deel river, knock,call him out and put a crown on his head and tell him hes just been annointed the first king of the hy fiachrach muaidh in a thousand years go back into the recesses of the county find o mahoney and most of that county board youll find them around tourmakeaddy and partry and such well famed powerhouses of football sucess, drag to shannonn let them use the bridge or not (up ta yee}go back crossmolina and hand the king his jersey apologise,tell em theres irish /foreigners knocking on our borders and say mac d go get em.seriously though i meet men of the 33 counties daily and they just laugh at the situ,they think my heather countyas  full of headers,would argentina av inflicted this on maradonna and thus themselves,would joyce be left outta any team in ireland at the behest of  a failed blueshirt who used the county job {anassisine job he did} for more bull in da dail as a springboard ,it was a tyrone man windin me up about dis yesterday till i reminded him of steve o neil pot kettle etc but at least he could retort the mistake was rectified,ask any defender in da country do they fear oconnor moran,doherty,tell them mc is back and hes togging out just now theres da  difference between a grin and a whimper.sorry about this rant but i seen my goalie take a 45 at ruislip,and men unable to put a ball dead or alive over the bar from 20yard in mchale park.sermon over sorry

cuconnacht

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 11, 2011, 04:28:47 PM
balderdash

bal·der·dash [bawl-der-dash]

noun

Definitions (3)

1. senseless, stupid, or exaggerated talk or writing; nonsense.

2. Obsolete . a muddled mixture of liquors.

why so abbeysider which part of it or all of it but why so ??? ???

AbbeySider

Quote from: cuconnacht on July 11, 2011, 04:36:48 PM

Its like something a three year old would write.

Impossible to read, worse than anything I have ever seen posted.
4 fullstops in 428 words, half of which are not spelt properly.

There is bad grammer, and I am often guilty of the same but I honestly have no clue what you are on about. Is it a rambling attempt at humour?

Hence my suggestion that your last comment is in the dictionary under "balderdash". No offence mind  ;)

mannix

i thought i was missing the point too, keep it simple next time.  ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: cuconnacht on July 11, 2011, 06:34:45 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 11, 2011, 04:45:41 PM
Quote from: cuconnacht on July 11, 2011, 04:36:48 PM

Its like something a three year old would write.

Impossible to read, worse than anything I have ever seen posted.
4 fullstops in 428 words, half of which are not spelt properly.

There is bad grammer, and I am often guilty of the same but I honestly have no clue what you are on about. Is it a rambling attempt at humour?

Hence my suggestion that your last comment is in the dictionary under "balderdash". No offence mind  ;)
None taken.It was an attempt at humour,the youngfella has just shown me how to enlarge the text.I could barely read what i was writing.Slowly but surely being dragged into modern era. ;)
Fair play! Genuinely couldn't make head nor tail  :D

AbbeySider

Re Off The Ball on Newstalk.
That's the second time I heard McHale mention on radio himself and Horans chance in front of goal in '96 hitting the post. He can't seem to let that one go. It's amazing what one dwells on. I never really recalled either chance being the winning and losing of it ???

( someone had to mention '96 ;) )

Rossfan

Mayowestros lads dominating this thread I see  :D
Ye are obviously very confident so. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: Rossfan on July 11, 2011, 08:50:45 PM
Mayowestros lads dominating this thread I see  :D
Ye are obviously very confident so. ;)

Nah we'll be back to the post mortem soon enough. We have to enjoy this.
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

There's something oddly reassuring and calming reading the neuroses in this thread. It's like the changing of the seasons, or night following day.

After Saturday in the Gaelic Grounds it's like 'rescue remedy' for my GAA soul.

AbbeySider

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 11, 2011, 09:05:19 PM
There's something oddly reassuring and calming reading the neuroses in this thread. It's like the changing of the seasons, or night following day.

Reassuring and calming? Maybe... but aren't we also ignoring the big white elephants in the room?

There is another battle taking place off the pitch between Kenny and the Rossies and tensions are mounting. I'd wager the headlines may not all be about the football aspect of Sunday

Lar Naparka

Quote from: cuconnacht on July 11, 2011, 04:01:19 PM
A Íosa Críost na bhFlaitheas but that was some blasht! ;D
I'd only need to take one look at ya, even with me eyes shut, to see that you're a genuine Mayo football supporter.
I can tell you straight off that I don't disagree with a single word you wrote.

(Come to think of it, I can't agree with a single one either since I haven't a clue what you're on about.)
I kinda got stuck in the Windy Gap and I'll need someone with an oul' Massey Ferguson to get me back on track again.)
Anyway, I agree with your style of delivery; keep them cocky sheepophiles on their hind legs all the way. Bet they haven't a clue of what we're on about. They'll not pull the wool over our eyes!
Leave the hoors guessing. ;)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

spectator

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 11, 2011, 10:46:10 PM

There is another battle taking place off the pitch between Kenny and the Rossies and tensions are mounting.

;)

Picture it:   A short scene from the Connacht Final 2011 in The Hyde. Late in the game, Ros ahead by one.

Inda 'n Frankie sitting in the best seats in the stand surrounded by battalions of baying Rossies.

Inda: They're not happy bunnies Frankie are they?

Frankie: Bunnies Inda??  *Scans the vicinity again*  I still can't see poor aul Cosmo and Baoithe ... are ya sure ya saw them?

Inda: Ho Ho Ho  *After a few seconds though Emphatically shakes his head*
[/i]
         Only having ya on Frankie. Though I heard they steered well clear o' the convent mass in Knock this morming ... can't be too careful like. 

Frankie: *Glumly* Tell me about it Inda. I couldn't even chance thou'll confessions in Knock meself yesterday with the blasted Boyle ICA on their annual safari there.

Inda:  *Excitedly* Some stout defending by The Rossies there Frankie!

Frankie: *Swallows hard, then shouts loudly*  The Mort has it Inda, The Mort has it ... an he's shapin to shoot ... *worriedly sucks in his breath*

The Mort shoots.

Inda: *Disgustedly* Ah sh*te Mort, you've skied the ball wide and out into the graveyard, ya useless so and so.

Frankie:
*Gleefully, Forgetting himself for a minute* Yes!!! Come on The Ros!!! That wan fairly screwed off th'aul boot Inda!

Inda: *Sourly* Less of your lip Frankie boy, that mad lookin space cadet with the smig is lookin over this way again ...

Frankie: *Beside himself *  Harvey ... Harvey ... where are ya Harvey ...

Battalions of baying Rossies continue to roar on their team as Frankie rocks gently to and fro in his seat.