Norris, David
7 (3.4%)
Scallon, Dana Rosemary
7 (3.4%)

Total Members Voted: 206

muppet

Quote from: Ulick on October 14, 2011, 02:36:42 PM
Quote from: cicfada on October 14, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
Genuine question here for those who supported the "armed struggle"! Could it not be argued that the fight against the  Crown forces from 1919 to 1922 was supported by the majority of people ? But the IRA of 1969 onwards did not have the support of the majority of Nationalists in the North never mind the majority of Irish people?? I mean it is only since there has been a permanency  to the end of the conflict that  Sinn Fein have  become the largest Nationalist party hasn't it??

Don't want to act as thread police cicfada, but this thread is picking up that much steam it's difficult to following everything. Maybe you should consider starting another thread for your historical debate and leave this one for the election?

It is very noticeable that Republicans don't to defense very well. Yes they are under attack, yes some of it is OTT, particularly from RTE and Mitchell and the odd predictable poster here. But welcome to politics.

McGuinness himself has done ok, not as good as I hoped, but still ok.

This thread though shows sign of collateral damage for SF caused by their own supporters. Some very moderate and considered posters on this site (I'm not including myself before anyone says it) have joined a thread they would normally stay miles away from. They have obviously been offended by some of the vitriol aimed at all Southerners for the crime of some people not liking the IRA.

Is there any chance that some common sense debate can return? For example some Southerners voicing unhappiness with the idea of Southerners being shot is not that incomprehensible, is it? Equally McGuinness saying it is time to move is not that difficult to understand either. I wish SF had publicly agreed with the Queen's visit to prove their own intent to move on, but we must consider how far we have come when we saw a completely benign reaction to her visit from Republican's. Remember where we were 20 years ago and think how far we have come.

There is time left in this campaign for lots to happen yet. I'd love to see McGuinness ignore the attacks (which will fizzle out anyway as the public as sick of it) and adopt a very conciliatory tone up to the vote. More importantly I'd love to see his supporters do the same. I suspect Gallagher might fade now and it will be left to the big 3 party candidates.

Mitchell needs to cop himself on as well and stop the vitriol.

MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

Quote from: muppet on October 14, 2011, 05:00:51 PM

I don't think the clown is capable of either
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on October 14, 2011, 05:38:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 14, 2011, 05:00:51 PM

I don't think the clown is capable of either

He needs to smile a bit more to become a clown...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 14, 2011, 04:18:47 PM
Quote from: Declan on October 14, 2011, 02:28:40 PM
These letter give a fair window into the discussions around wee Marty I think

Sir, – It is distressing to think that so many of our electorate would even consider electing a member of the Sinn Féin party to the highest office in the land, and commander of our Army, given that it is only very recently they begrudgingly stated that, and I quote, "The killing of Garda Jerry McCabe, [not the murder], was wrong". This organisation has through its other senior members over the years refused to condemn the murders of our Garda, Army and civilians.
on Friday mornings.
etc
etc
yes Dec, I'd say these are indicative of what a lot of people think of McGuinness etc.
What gets me though is that they still blame sf for what the IRA did.
Thats comparing Dominic McGlinchey to mary lou.
I can say now that there is no way that mary lou and the majority of modern day shinners are any closer to the IRA than some of the blueshirt boyos on here.
Agree LB that a lot of the new Shinners won't have any close ties with the IRA, especially those in the south, and that is obviously going to be more and more the case as time moves on.

Having said that, if the party members continue to support the idea that the PIRA campaign was justified and necessary and refuse to condemn their actions, then they'll continue to be the only party doing so and will therefore continue to be associated with the IRA.

Maguire01

Dana has confirmed that she's staying in the race. Still no sign of what the big story is/was.

cicfada

Put Dana into Google and then go down to the second  link! Irishcentral.com

Maguire01

Quote from: Nally Stand on October 13, 2011, 10:24:32 PM
http://www.facebook.com/Martin4President?sk=app_196506863720166

Full footage of McGuinness' rally in Dublin tonight, MC'd by Colm Meaney. Another packed house.
I've wondered as to the point of these events. They appear to attract a partisan audience who have already decided they're going to vote for the candidate - in fact a good proportion are probably paid-up party members.

Specifically in relation to this event, I was reading an article on it in the Irish Times - 2 quotes:
"What an amazing occasion. Martin's entrance was a very special moment for all of us," Meaney enthused.

Dublin hurler Ryan O'Dywer took to the stage and paid tribute to Mr McGuinness. "My name being mentioned in the same line as Martin McGuinness: I sometimes have to pinch myself to see if it's true," he said.

Seriously, is nobody else cringing?

Maguire01

Quote from: hardstation on October 14, 2011, 06:14:19 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on October 14, 2011, 05:55:15 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on October 14, 2011, 04:18:47 PM
Quote from: Declan on October 14, 2011, 02:28:40 PM
These letter give a fair window into the discussions around wee Marty I think

Sir, – It is distressing to think that so many of our electorate would even consider electing a member of the Sinn Féin party to the highest office in the land, and commander of our Army, given that it is only very recently they begrudgingly stated that, and I quote, "The killing of Garda Jerry McCabe, [not the murder], was wrong". This organisation has through its other senior members over the years refused to condemn the murders of our Garda, Army and civilians.
on Friday mornings.
etc
etc
yes Dec, I'd say these are indicative of what a lot of people think of McGuinness etc.
What gets me though is that they still blame sf for what the IRA did.
Thats comparing Dominic McGlinchey to mary lou.
I can say now that there is no way that mary lou and the majority of modern day shinners are any closer to the IRA than some of the blueshirt boyos on here.
Agree LB that a lot of the new Shinners won't have any close ties with the IRA, especially those in the south, and that is obviously going to be more and more the case as time moves on.

Having said that, if the party members continue to support the idea that the PIRA campaign was justified and necessary and refuse to condemn their actions, then they'll continue to be the only party doing so and will therefore continue to be associated with the IRA.
Have they ever condemned the actions of Hugh O'Neill in the Battle of Kinsale? I think they should be made to.
I wouldn't consider that necessary.

Gaffer

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 13, 2011, 11:49:20 PM
Quote from: gallsman on October 13, 2011, 11:23:26 PM
Quote from: Nally Stand on October 13, 2011, 10:24:32 PM
http://www.facebook.com/Martin4President?sk=app_196506863720166

Full footage of McGuinness' rally in Dublin tonight, MC'd by Colm Meaney. Another packed house.

Colm Meaney doesn't half come across as an absolute bell-end in that. Talking utter shite. Jarlath Burns' address was outstanding.

+1 Maith thú Jarlath....nice red and black tie as well!!!!

Jarlath is in everything including the crib !!!!!!!!!

Does he put as much time and effort into his teaching I wonder?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Maguire01

From Twitter:

@RossOCK
Ross O'Carroll-Kelly:
Who talks their way into Miriam O'Callaghan's dressing-room, then just wants to argue? Serious questions about McGuinness's judgement.

:P

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on October 14, 2011, 05:55:15 PM

I haven't heard Michael D criticize his party for their behavior since entering government for their about face on every major policy issue to do with the Bank bailout
Am I to construe that Michael D is an out and out utter hypocrite?

Pangurban

Breaking News on R.T.E. Martin Mc Guiness killed c**k Robin

armaghniac

QuoteWho talks their way into Miriam O'Callaghan's dressing-room, then just wants to argue? Serious questions about McGuinness's judgement.

Miriam O'Callaghan may have some knockers, but she also has fans!

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ardal

RTE realised today new footage of Hitlers Nazi youth groups. Marty leading the parade with Gerry beside. No blueshirts in view.

SF tell CIA that they shot JFK.

Bermuda Triangle found in the Bogside; near Marty's' ma's house and northern bank

Shergar eating super grass; Grimly; clearly states that SF forced him to do it.

Christ I want him in based solely on the media bias

muppet

(seen on FaceBook)

One word sums up this election.

What is the missing word?

Gay Mitchell     ______ Fine Gael money on an election he can't win
Mary Davis       ______ tax payers money though Qangos
Sean Gallagher _______ his own trumpet
Michael D.        ________ you away
Dana               ________ up at press conferences
Martin McG     ________ up Brits
Norris             ________ other guys