USFC Armagh v Derry, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 19th June 2pm

Started by oakleafgael, May 29, 2011, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mackers

Quote from: Orangemac on June 13, 2011, 10:46:43 PM
If Eoin Bradley can be kept quiet it will go a long way to nullifying Derry, I would imagine Andy Mallon will be put on him.
I'd rather see Brendan Donaghy on him myself although Andy did a good job on Eoin last year despite what Paddy Heaney thinks.
It's important that Armagh back up the last performance and show that the Down performance was not a flash in the pan. I still reckon that there is room for improvement when you think that our two main men (McDonnell and McKeever) had a quiet enough evening against Down.  It should be a good game (depending on the weather) with Derry racking up some good scores in the league.
I'd presume that Armagh will line out the same 15 as the last time.

Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

tbrick18

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on June 14, 2011, 10:57:41 AM
Quote from: Incertus on June 14, 2011, 10:48:05 AM
Will make the trip to Clones more in hope than expectation now.

You must be playing?  :P

You must be playing....with yourself! :p

naka

Quote from: mackers on June 14, 2011, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: Orangemac on June 13, 2011, 10:46:43 PM
If Eoin Bradley can be kept quiet it will go a long way to nullifying Derry, I would imagine Andy Mallon will be put on him.
I'd rather see Brendan Donaghy on him myself although Andy did a good job on Eoin last year despite what Paddy Heaney thinks.
It's important that Armagh back up the last performance and show that the Down performance was not a flash in the pan. I still reckon that there is room for improvement when you think that our two main men (McDonnell and McKeever) had a quiet enough evening against Down.  It should be a good game (depending on the weather) with Derry racking up some good scores in the league.
I'd presume that Armagh will line out the same 15 as the last time.
agree with this, although I personally feel that Armagh will move on from Down, in previous years I would have worried about this game but with the feeling in the camp being positive rather than overly confident I expect to see Armagh in an Ulister senior final come Sunday night,

regal

It will be interesting to see who armagh match their defenders up against. Derry's forward line is very tall and strong. I would like to see:

A.Mallon - Gilligan
B.Donaghy - Bradley
P.Duffy - O'Boyle
A.Kernan - McGuckian
C.McKeever - Unlucky Enda
K.Dyas - Lynch

To be fair to POR he got the match ups correct against Down. Duffy could struggle with O'Boyle's height if he plays in the full forward line.

If Vernon plays the way he played in the second half against down, armagh will win as derry's midfield is unproven and inexperienced

mackers

Joe Diver has been about for a good number of years now so I wouldn't say he's inexperienced. He seems to be inconsistent but I wouldn't dismiss him either. I thought that Kieran Toner had a poor enough outing against Down with, as you say, CV only really impressing in the second half.  Midfield is another area where I would like to see improvement from the last day out.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

HiMucker

Quote from: regal on June 14, 2011, 11:41:58 AM
It will be interesting to see who armagh match their defenders up against. Derry's forward line is very tall and strong. I would like to see:

A.Mallon - Gilligan
B.Donaghy - Bradley
P.Duffy - O'Boyle
A.Kernan - McGuckian
C.McKeever - Unlucky Enda
K.Dyas - Lynch

To be fair to POR he got the match ups correct against Down. Duffy could struggle with O'Boyle's height if he plays in the full forward line.

If Vernon plays the way he played in the second half against down, armagh will win as derry's midfield is unproven and inexperienced
Wouldnt be worried for Enda one bit!   ;) Hope I dont see this quoted on monday :-\

onefaircounty

O'Boyle is the man with the serious pace isn't he? Would put Dyas on him myself. Don't know who to put on Lynch, maybe Donaghy.

Jimmy

Quote from: onefaircounty on June 14, 2011, 03:03:25 PM
O'Boyle is the man with the serious pace isn't he? Would put Dyas on him myself. Don't know who to put on Lynch, maybe Donaghy.

I wouldn't say he's overly quick. He's the tall lad from Lavey that also played for Jordanstown last year. Your maybe thinking of Declan Mullan from coleraine. He's unlikely to start. Lynch, Gilligan and Bradley would all be quicker.

Applesisapples

I hear there's to be serious rain on Sunday, could Armagh become victims of the weather like Down, or is all that training in Camlough lake going to stand to them? Or Derry to be washed up by Half time?

onefaircounty

Quote from: Jimmy on June 14, 2011, 03:12:28 PM
Quote from: onefaircounty on June 14, 2011, 03:03:25 PM

I wouldn't say he's overly quick. He's the tall lad from Lavey that also played for Jordanstown last year. Your maybe thinking of Declan Mullan from coleraine. He's unlikely to start. Lynch, Gilligan and Bradley would all be quicker.

It was Mullan I was thinking of thanks. Saw O'Boyle a few times for UUJ, can take a score alright.

crossfire

Quote from: oakleafgael on June 10, 2011, 01:42:42 PM
Quote from: sheamy on June 10, 2011, 07:34:59 AM
Am looking forward to the tactical battle between Brennan and Joe Kernan. I heard Armagh are so sure of victory that Aidan O'Rourke has ordered in 500 special Ulster final 2011 picture frames for the shop. A huge after game party has been planned for clones square by the Armagh sponsors. Friar Tucks, simply fruit and Morgan Milk. Yummmm! Prize draw for a free cube of diesel  ;)

On a much more serious note I hope the apple munchers from around Cross behave themselves a lot better than they did the last time Brennan led a team against one from Armagh. The throwing of screenings will not be tolerated!

Have you slaughtneil lads still not got over your beating. ???

Bogball XV

Quote from: crossfire on June 14, 2011, 09:36:10 PM
Am looking forward to the tactical battle between Brennan and Joe Kernan. I heard Armagh are so sure of victory that Aidan O'Rourke has ordered in 500 special Ulster final 2011 picture frames for the shop. A huge after game party has been planned for clones square by the Armagh sponsors. Friar Tucks, simply fruit and Morgan Milk. Yummmm! Prize draw for a free cube of diesel  ;)

On a much more serious note I hope the apple munchers from around Cross behave themselves a lot better than they did the last time Brennan led a team against one from Armagh. The throwing of screenings will not be tolerated!

Ach, leave them be, they've only ever played two games in the ulster championship and had the misfortune to run into a bcb inspired cross.

oakleafgael

Quote from: crossfire on June 14, 2011, 09:36:10 PM

I have been called many unkind things in life, most of them warranted, but thats a bit below the belt. You would need to be careful though, the last man who slagged them on this board didnt fair out well.

oakleafgael

Nothing has changed my view on this match since Armagh stuffed Down. We have a ropey full back line, if O'Kane is missing our half back line isnt great, our midfield isnt great. Another thing that worries me is our half forward line. I expect to see Lynch running towards his own goals after either Kernan or Duffy and not within ten yards of him. I cant see how Derry can win this with the current panel of players.

tbrick18

Quote from: oakleafgael on June 14, 2011, 09:48:14 PM
Nothing has changed my view on this match since Armagh stuffed Down. We have a ropey full back line, if O'Kane is missing our half back line isnt great, our midfield isnt great. Another thing that worries me is our half forward line. I expect to see Lynch running towards his own goals after either Kernan or Duffy and not within ten yards of him. I cant see how Derry can win this with the current panel of players.

For me Derry's best chance of winning is gung-ho attack. We should play the bold tactic of trying to outscore armagh by playing an attacking formation. Lets say SL McGoldrick at CHF to provide the running and Muldoon as a 3rd MF to play the probing passes in. This gives us options in attack to either run at armagh or play the long pass in. That old saying attack being the best form of defence is our best chance IMO considering our frailties in defence and MF.
I dont think Armagh are as good as people are making them out to be, but in my mind they are still strong favorites for this game. I think we can cause them problems with an all out attacking approach to the game though in which case you never know.
My head says Armagh.....heart says Derry....so I'll go for a Draw and keep the fingers crossed.