USFC Armagh v Derry, St Tiernach's Park, Clones, 19th June 2pm

Started by oakleafgael, May 29, 2011, 09:29:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: screenmachine on June 08, 2011, 01:14:20 PM
With regards Casement being out of operation - are Antrim not due to play Westmeath in Casement in the coming weeks ahead? I don't see how the argument that Casement wasn't available due to health and safety or for whatever other reason holds up if this is the case?

Sure there was something in the Irish News the other day with someone from Casement saying they were disappointed for not getting the game so obviously there is nothing wrong with the ground.

On a football matter Paddy Power have Armagh at 5/6 and Derry at 5/4, which is prob not far away. TBH i hate when Armagh are favourites for a game, we tend to play better when written off ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

whiskeysteve

Don't agree with those odds at all.

We have lost our best defender and best forward to injury (Gerard O'Kane and Paddy B) and our best midfielder (Fergal Doherty) can't commit this year.

Throw in our semi-final record against Armaghs, the strength of our quarter final victory against Armaghs, and those odds are miserly for a Derry punt.

The one hope clung to is this mystical 'Brennan Factor'. I will be very surprised if we turn Armagh over (not shocked though)

2/1 for Derry would be more like it.
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

naka

Quote from: whiskeysteve on June 08, 2011, 05:14:57 PM

We have lost our best defender and best forward to injury (Gerard O'Kane and Paddy B) and our best midfielder (Fergal Doherty) can't commit this year.

Throw in our semi-final record against Armaghs, the strength of our quarter final victory against Armaghs, and those odds are miserly for a Derry punt.

The one hope clung to is this mystical 'Brennan Factor'. I will be very surprised if we turn Armagh over (not shocked though)

is gerard o kane injured

Bogball XV

I'd agree that the bookies have this one wrongly priced up, on all known evidence Armagh should be around 1/2.  Thats said, I won't be conceding hope, there's always the Brennan factor and we've a few boys who can still play a wee bit of football.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Bogball XV on June 09, 2011, 10:49:01 AM

I'd agree that the bookies have this one wrongly priced up, on all known evidence Armagh should be around 1/2.  Thats said, I won't be conceding hope, there's always the Brennan factor and we've a few boys who can still play a wee bit of football.
Depends on which Armagh shows up, the one from the Down game or Derry game last year. Big game and result in the balance.

shawshank

Again to get the record straight. Brennan has never once spoken directly either by phone or in a one-one to Fergal Doherty about being invovled with the county team this year and that my friend is a fact.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: shawshank on June 09, 2011, 11:49:48 AM

Again to get the record straight. Brennan has never once spoken directly either by phone or in a one-one to Fergal Doherty about being invovled with the county team this year and that my friend is a fact.

I made no mention of Brennans approaches to him  ??? (or lack of them)
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Will Hunting

Quote from: shawshank on June 09, 2011, 11:49:48 AM

Well let's break this down a little further then. Why would John Brennan not approach Fergal Doc, knowing full well how key a member of the team he is/was, and knowing that this would leave us seriously thin in the midfield area?

Why would he do that?

shawshank

Brennan is the only person who knows that, would you care to ask him?

The Stallion

I'm fairly confident Derry will beat Armagh based on a few factors:

1. Armagh are getting a bit too much praise for beating a vastly overrated Down team, and I think they might be a wee bit complacent going into this match.

2. Brennan was canny enough to make a convincing victory for Derry sound like a dreadful day at the office, to make sure the players come out firing against Armagh rather than the usual Derry habit of one good performance followed by one dreadful performance.

3. I think this is potentially the best all round Derry forward line in a few years, despite what many are saying. There's a bit of everything - scorers, high fielders, hard workers, and clever creative players. Armagh have Clarke, Padden and an aging McDonnell, and nothing else in my opinion.

borderfox

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Real Talk

Don't matter where the game is at I'l be there.   The big majority of the Derry fans in Clones will be the friends and families of the players who get 'free' tickets for the game and in this regard the U C will have plenty of good seats as compared to Casement

Quote from: The Stallion on June 09, 2011, 08:03:38 PM
I'm fairly confident Derry will beat Armagh based on a few factors:

1. Armagh are getting a bit too much praise for beating a vastly overrated Down team, and I think they might be a wee bit complacent going into this match.

2. Brennan was canny enough to make a convincing victory for Derry sound like a dreadful day at the office, to make sure the players come out firing against Armagh rather than the usual Derry habit of one good performance followed by one dreadful performance.

3. I think this is potentially the best all round Derry forward line in a few years, despite what many are saying. There's a bit of everything - scorers, high fielders, hard workers, and clever creative players. Armagh have Clarke, Padden and an aging McDonnell, and nothing else in my opinion.

[/quot

And possibly the worst defence and most mediocre mid-field since 1990

mountainboii

Quote from: borderfox on June 09, 2011, 08:16:09 PM
Derry by 5 ;)

At least.

This Stallion boy has it right. Everything points to a Derry win:

Armagh peaked for Down and sure Down are shite anyway.
Armagh only beat Derry last year because of Jamie Clarke's disgraceful push on Kevin McGuckin.
Derry beat Armagh easily the last time the teams met in Clones.
Derry are dying to stick two fingers up at the world and the Ulster Council for making them go allllllllll the way to Clones for this game.
Derry probably have the best manager in Ulster, if not the country. Armagh's manager is useless and if it wasn't for Oisin McConville and Paul McGrane they wouldn't even being playing this game.
Armagh don't have many good forwards, especially with Ronan Clarke, Gareth Swift and Ger Houlihan unavailable.

naka

Quote from: AFS on June 09, 2011, 08:58:09 PM
Quote from: borderfox on June 09, 2011, 08:16:09 PM
Derry by 5 ;)

At least.

This Stallion boy has it right. Everything points to a Derry win:

Armagh peaked for Down and sure Down are shite anyway.
Armagh only beat Derry last year because of Jamie Clarke's disgraceful push on Kevin McGuckin.
Derry beat Armagh easily the last time the teams met in Clones.
Derry are dying to stick two fingers up at the world and the Ulster Council for making them go allllllllll the way to Clones for this game.
Derry probably have the best manager in Ulster, if not the country. Armagh's manager is useless and if it wasn't for Oisin McConville and Paul McGrane they wouldn't even being playing this game.
Armagh don't have many good forwards, especially with Ronan Clarke, Gareth Swift and Ger Houlihan unavailable.
definitely agree with this in fact why should armagh turn up  we will get stuffed, everything points to a derry win

Overthebar!

I think contact has been made with Doherty, the problem is the method of contact. If you want a key player back pick up the phone or go visit the man. I don't know his reasons for not going back but you can hardly blame him...