gardai they can do what they like

Started by lawnseed, May 27, 2011, 11:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lawnseed

the news that garda dean foley has walked free from jail after admitting and being convicted of giving a man an 'unmerciful beating' is a damning indictment of Irish society. an antique clause in Irish law that allows garda and prison officers to avoid going to jail is yet further evidence of how sick and unjust the whole set up is. had garda foley been an ordinary citizen he could have been expected to serve at least a year of the 18 month sentence he received initially. does anyone in their right mind seriously expect any of the crooks who sank our country into decades of austerity to do any time behind bars?
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

sammymaguire

Total shower of c***ts. All they are good for is standing on the roads with a speed detector and a breathalyser - god forbid those boys and girls on blue would get involved in anything DANGEROUS whilst SERVING the public who pay their wages
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: lawnseed on May 27, 2011, 11:09:05 PM
the news that garda dean foley has walked free from jail after admitting and being convicted of giving a man an 'unmerciful beating' is a damning indictment of Irish society. an antique clause in Irish law that allows garda and prison officers to avoid going to jail is yet further evidence of how sick and unjust the whole set up is. had garda foley been an ordinary citizen he could have been expected to serve at least a year of the 18 month sentence he received initially. does anyone in their right mind seriously expect any of the crooks who sank our country into decades of austerity to do any time behind bars?

What exactly are you taking about here?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Farrandeelin

Quote from: sammymaguire on May 27, 2011, 11:13:56 PM
Total shower of c***ts. All they are good for is standing on the roads with a speed detector and a breathalyser - god forbid those boys and girls on blue would get involved in anything DANGEROUS whilst SERVING the public who pay their wages

You said exactly what I think of them sammymaguire! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Talking in general and not specifically in relation to this case, I personally belived the Gardaí do a very good job.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

irunthev

Here's one from SKY news this morning, from the UK. Looks like it isn't just in Ireland where the cops are a law onto themselves.

"Police officers were justified in pulling a student fees protester from his wheelchair and "inadvertently" hitting him with a baton, an inquiry has foundJody McIntyre, 21, was attacked by officers during a demonstration on December 9, but the actions of police were "justifiable and lawful given the volatile and dangerous situation", Scotland Yard's Directorate of Professional Standards said.
Mr McIntyre claimed he was the victim of an unprovoked attack, complaining that an officer tipped him out of his wheelchair onto the ground, then dragged him across the road onto the pavement.
He said the treatment amounted to discrimination on the basis of his disability.
But a statement from the force said: "The investigation, supervised by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), did not find evidence to substantiate any of the complaints made by Jody McIntyre regarding two separate incidents at the demonstrations"Whilst there is evidence that Jody McIntyre was inadvertently struck with a police baton, the investigation found that the actions of officers were justifiable and lawful given the volatile and dangerous situation occurring at the location and his removal from his wheelchair was also justifiable given the officers' perceived risk to Jody McIntyre."
Following the incident, investigators took advice from the force's independent disability advisory group, which recommended that guidance be developed around the most appropriate way to move a wheelchair user should it become necessary.
Acting Commander Carl Bussey, head of the Directorate of Professional Standards, said: "The allegations made by Jody McIntyre were extremely concerning and we have carried out a very thorough investigation under the supervision of the IPCC to establish the facts.
"The investigation did not find evidence to substantiate any of the complaints and, given how damaging these allegations were to the reputation of the MPS and relationship with both protesters and London's disabled community, it is only right that we report back and therefore publicly account on what occurred."
In a statement, Mr McIntyre said he would be making an appeal to the IPCC.
"Even with regard to my ejection from my wheelchair, the police officers involved try to justify their behaviour by referring to the fact that mounted officers were preparing to charge and that I was in the way," he said.
"I find it stunning that their justification for their violence towards me is that I was in the way of a violent attack on a crowd of protesters, which included children.
"Remarkably, the report even contains the suggestion that I threw myself from my wheelchair.
"Throughout the report the police officers involved have stated that they were acting in my best interests, and this appears to have been accepted by those carrying out the investigation."

deiseach

Good to see all the keyboard warriors out in force looking for a punishment that even the victim didn't want. The principle in law is NOT that a guard will never go to prison, it is that "a prison sentence had a greater impact on certain people in society such as foreign nationals, the elderly, the sick as well as members of An Garda Siochana and the Prison Service" and thus should be accounted for in mitigation when imposing sentence. The judge had already suspended twelve months of the sentence before this was taken into account so he felt it was correct to suspend the remainder. It would be nice if a discussion took place based on the facts but that clearly would be too much to ask

muppet

Quote from: deiseach on May 28, 2011, 09:06:52 AM
Good to see all the keyboard warriors out in force looking for a punishment that even the victim didn't want. The principle in law is NOT that a guard will never go to prison, it is that "a prison sentence had a greater impact on certain people in society such as foreign nationals, the elderly, the sick as well as members of An Garda Siochana and the Prison Service" and thus should be accounted for in mitigation when imposing sentence. The judge had already suspended twelve months of the sentence before this was taken into account so he felt it was correct to suspend the remainder. It would be nice if a discussion took place based on the facts but that clearly would be too much to ask

...and without the usual predictable agendas.

Funny how an ideology that thinks we are all part of the same Nation also thinks none of us are should ever become part of an internationally recognised force that either polices or defends any part of that Nation.
MWWSI 2017

laoislad

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 27, 2011, 11:27:40 PM

You both haven't much of a clue about being a Garda so.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: deiseach on May 28, 2011, 09:06:52 AM

Heres what i think....

What the victim wants in terms of a sentence is irrelevant, The court should judge the crime and punish according to the law. Would the judge increase the sentence if the victim said they wanted it to be longer?

Everyone should be equal in the eyes of the law. A 80 year old paedophille should get treated the same as a 30 year old one. Too sick or frail to be punished is a load of shite.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: laoislad on May 28, 2011, 11:34:28 AM

Nope, sure I'm a teacher. And we get it handy! :P
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 28, 2011, 01:31:20 PM

Nope, sure I'm a teacher. And we get it handy! :P

True.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mannix

2 cops cleared to walk free in NYC yesterday.
They were called to a scene where a woman was drunk, they took her away in the patrol car and brought her to her apartment where one raped her and the other stood guard, then they went away and came back twice to do it again. Even made a phone call from a pay phone to cover their tracks, an alibi as to why they went back to her apartment. They walked free but were fired anyway, two right dandy looking scum buckets.

sammymaguire

Enough first hand experience to know how useful they are when you need them and what they are like when you don't
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!