gardai they can do what they like

Started by lawnseed, May 27, 2011, 11:09:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Whatever about the details or rights or wrongs of this particular case  I really had to have an ironic smile at the Cork SF TD ( Jon O'Brien) complaining about somebody not doing time over a vioelnt assault.
I'm sure the relatives of young Quinn lad among others will be glad to know of SF's concern about perpetrators of assaults not getting jailed. ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Quote from: Rossfan on May 28, 2011, 04:58:04 PM
Whatever about the details or rights or wrongs of this particular case  I really had to have an ironic smile at the Cork SF TD ( Jon O'Brien) complaining about somebody not doing time over a vioelnt assault.
I'm sure the relatives of young Quinn lad among others will be glad to know of SF's concern about perpetrators of assaults not getting jailed. ::)

I know. Dont you just love it when SF lecture on Law & order/violent crime etc.
Next a speech from Bertie & FF about the dangers of borrowing & non regulation!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: ross matt on May 28, 2011, 07:46:00 PM

Didn't Bertie give that speech to Nigerian business or government representitives recently. (I am guessing you were being saracastic and were referring to this).
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

oakleafgael

Whilst i agree that there is a fair bit of hypocrisy in the SF's yapping about the upholding of law and order there is a big issue here. The gardai in the NW where shown to be rotten to a high level and it would be a big surprise to me if their antics werent repeated in other regions.

bennydorano

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 28, 2011, 12:37:40 PM
Quote from: deiseach on May 28, 2011, 09:06:52 AM
Good to see all the keyboard warriors out in force looking for a punishment that even the victim didn't want. The principle in law is NOT that a guard will never go to prison, it is that "a prison sentence had a greater impact on certain people in society such as foreign nationals, the elderly, the sick as well as members of An Garda Siochana and the Prison Service" and thus should be accounted for in mitigation when imposing sentence. The judge had already suspended twelve months of the sentence before this was taken into account so he felt it was correct to suspend the remainder. It would be nice if a discussion took place based on the facts but that clearly would be too much to ask

Heres what i think....

What the victim wants in terms of a sentence is irrelevant, The court should judge the crime and punish according to the law. Would the judge increase the sentence if the victim said they wanted it to be longer?

Everyone should be equal in the eyes of the law. A 80 year old paedophille should get treated the same as a 30 year old one. Too sick or frail to be punished is a load of shite.
Have to agree with that.  Also why is perpetrators of financial crime would be more likely to get a term in an open prison(might be a UK thing?)?  Someone that has actually put a lot of time effort into defrauding gets treated more favourably than your average Joe. 

My limited experiences of dealing with Garda have been negative. 

mylestheslasher

I know, next thing we'll have Roscommon people on talking about animal welfare!

Rossfan

Or mane cyaaaavan hewers talking abot Charity ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross matt

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on May 29, 2011, 05:23:31 AM

Didn't Bertie give that speech to Nigerian business or government representitives recently. (I am guessing you were being saracastic and were referring to this).

I was being sarcastic MGHU. But I was even thinking about his Nigerian speech when I posted. But good point. Even better!

Main Street

Quote from: deiseach on May 28, 2011, 09:06:52 AM
Good to see all the keyboard warriors out in force looking for a punishment that even the victim didn't want

The victim was paid a sum of money by the Guard. Who knows, maybe that money was paid for such a favour?

QuoteThe principle in law is NOT that a guard will never go to prison, it is that "a prison sentence had a greater impact on certain people in society such as foreign nationals, the elderly, the sick as well as members of An Garda Siochana and the Prison Service" and thus should be accounted for in mitigation when imposing sentence. The judge had already suspended twelve months of the sentence before this was taken into account so he felt it was correct to suspend the remainder. It would be nice if a discussion took place based on the facts but that clearly would be too much to ask

What would an appropriate sentence be for any first offender convicted of a serious, brutal, unprovoked and unmerciful assault?  What would be an appropriate sentence if that person was a Guard or prison officer?

"It is a far more difficult sentence for him (a garda) than for anyone else," he argued.
Mr O'Sullivan said this was a significant principle in sentencing, and pointed out that, in the Midlands Prison, the garda would be kept in a special wing, segregated from the rest of the prison population and would have to spend most of his time in his cell.´

That special wing sounds a hell of a lot lot cushier than the spartan surroundings and facilities of Mountjoy jail.
I don't fall for that explanation that time served in the Midlands special wing is worth more than time spent in Mountjoy
And certainly not to the extent of serving no time at all for such a brutal crime.

lawnseed

guard gets 40000 compo because his flyfishing arm gets hurt :o ::) just read this in the star apparently this guard is a keen flyfisher and during an arrest this young guy yanked his arm... anyway his stroke and casting haven't been the same since :'( he cant put the fly just where he wants it so 40000 euros of taxpayers money will allow him to buy some fish or something... sweet jez
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Tubberman

Quote from: lawnseed on June 01, 2011, 08:24:50 PM
guard gets 40000 compo because his flyfishing arm gets hurt :o ::) just read this in the star apparently this guard is a keen flyfisher and during an arrest this young guy yanked his arm... anyway his stroke and casting haven't been the same since :'( he cant put the fly just where he wants it so 40000 euros of taxpayers money will allow him to buy some fish or something... sweet jez

Die-hard 'republican' has a problem with official police force of the State - hardly a surprise there....
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

lawnseed

Quote from: Tubberman on June 01, 2011, 08:28:31 PM

Die-hard 'republican' has a problem with official police force of the State - hardly a surprise there....
are you saying 'republicans' dont have to pay this guy to go fishing? Because i think they pay tax as well. btw he didnt lose his arm hes just not getting his fly where he wants it
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

trueblue1234

Quote from: Tubberman on June 01, 2011, 08:28:31 PM

Ref, REF, of the ball!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

deiseach

Quote from: Main Street on May 29, 2011, 11:09:45 PM
What would an appropriate sentence be for any first offender convicted of a serious, brutal, unprovoked and unmerciful assault?  What would be an appropriate sentence if that person was a Guard or prison officer?

It seems that the appropriate sentence is 18 months. Whether you think it should be higher in general is not the issue in this case. No one has suggested that another person would have been treated differently. However, 12 months of that sentence was suspended, presumbably due to previous good behaviour and pleading guilty. The only way he was treated differently for being a guard was having another six months suspended which was perfectly consistent with legal precedent.

Dinny Breen

The jury in the trial of four Waterford-based gardaí in connection with an assault has found two of them guilty.

The jury in the trial of four Waterford-based gardaí in connection with an assault last year has found two of them guilty.

Garda Daniel Hickey has been found guilty of assault causing harm to Anthony Holness on New Street in the city in January last year, while Garda John Burke has been found guilty of intending to pervert the course of justice.

Sgt Alan Kissane has been found not guilty and a verdict has not yet been reached on Sgt Martha McEnery.

The jury will resume its deliberations on Monday.
#newbridgeornowhere