Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2011

Started by drici, May 21, 2011, 12:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: Moortown Spuds on November 13, 2011, 03:29:05 PM
Turning into a right game. Expect Cross to start throwing punchs if cross get within 2/3 points.

McKenna reacted like he'd been hit with a block hammer, poor form.

Collie Devlin could add a bit of guile to this Ballinderry team, I give it 5 minutes before he is took out of it.
Take the blinkers of spud.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2011, 09:53:10 AM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on November 12, 2011, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
His reference point was Mickey Linden from years ago but Sean Kelly got quite a bit of treatment the last day too.

Maybe even before the throw-in too. Sean Kelly was knocked into once if not twice as Crossmaglen were running out through the St Gall's guard of honour. Maybe it was accidental. Bad form from Cross if not.
The "Guard of Honour" was so narrow that a player had just enough room to run out, deliberately so to intimidate. Backfired though.

Intimidating alright...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/15443023.stm

What's that about blinkers?

HIGH BALL CENTRE FIELD

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2011, 09:58:14 AM
Quote from: robbiegael on November 13, 2011, 03:09:57 PM
Cross players must be watching too much cross channel soccer - nice little bit of play acting to get the Ballinderry boy sent off. Shame that this diving is now part of our great game.

Can't believe how poor Ballinderry were in the first half - clueless!!
His first yellow should have been straight red, the second was also a strike and the rule says striking or attempting to strike.
Don't talk shite.  His first was a yellow, if even a yellow, nothing more.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Mont on November 14, 2011, 10:23:20 AM
Over th hr cross were the better team. Shamrocks will have plenty of regrets about first half mind you.
Few pts

Mc kenn a went down easy but he was caught with a rabbit punch so it had to be a yellow

Why no straight red for kernan if he was caught punching?

The 2 managers were at it the whole game with sly shoulders into each other, think cross came of better in that as well

Cross physio got involved with a shamrocks player, few lads were looking across the fence to him!

Was sludden that bad that he deserved to get put on his arse after the game by the sub?

The cross machine rolls on. Nothing left in ulster to worry them
I have viewed both live and on TV AK's second yellow, there wasn't a punch that I could see but a high tackle as he tried to impede the overlap. Sludden was poor again, especially harsh on both teams when they field high ball only to be surrounded. Muldoon was different class second half, pity was Ballinderry had only one of him. Best team won. Harney's actions could have merited two reds as I said elswhere but to be honest common sense, and for this I would give Sludden credit, prevailed.

Applesisapples

Quote from: yellowcard on November 14, 2011, 08:04:11 PM
How was Paudie Hughes (from Crossmaglen) allowed to referee a game involving a potential opponent for his club in an Ulster final. The reason I'm asking is that he sent off the Burren captain which if he is suspended for the final would have a big bearing on the outcome of that match. I'm not suggesting that he did or didn't warrant a straight red but why the Ulster council would appoint Hughes for this match is poor foresight on their part.
or a Tyrone man reffing a Tyrone club vs Cross? Catch a grip you can't question Paudie's integrity or Sludden's for that matter, with out evidence.

FERDIE

Watched it on Television, Harneys first offence, a yellow at most, his second a yellow but Mckenna should be ashamed of himself, the size of him lying down crying when he wasn't touched. If kernan was to be booked, it had to be red even it was at the low level of red.

Applesisapples

Quote from: HIGH BALL CENTRE FIELD on November 15, 2011, 10:52:51 AM
Cross players must be watching too much cross channel soccer - nice little bit of play acting to get the Ballinderry boy sent off. Shame that this diving is now part of our great game.

His first yellow should have been straight red, the second was also a strike and the rule says striking or attempting to strike.
I was at the game and watched the match on TG4, I think the yellow was a common sense decision but not in keeping with the rule, that said I think the ref got it right, we need more common sense. If Harney had displayed some he wouldn't have walked.

Applesisapples

Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on November 15, 2011, 10:03:47 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2011, 09:53:10 AM
Quote from: OverThePostsAWide on November 12, 2011, 03:22:45 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 12, 2011, 02:31:26 PM
His reference point was Mickey Linden from years ago but Sean Kelly got quite a bit of treatment the last day too.

Maybe even before the throw-in too. Sean Kelly was knocked into once if not twice as Crossmaglen were running out through the St Gall's guard of honour. Maybe it was accidental. Bad form from Cross if not.
The "Guard of Honour" was so narrow that a player had just enough room to run out, deliberately so to intimidate. Backfired though.

Intimidating alright...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/15443023.stm

What's that about blinkers?
Look it was intended as gamesmanship in just the same way Cross did to St Gall's last year...nothing wrong with it, in fact I think it was clever.

HiMucker

Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2011, 11:08:49 AM

I was at the game and watched the match on TG4, I think the yellow was a common sense decision but not in keeping with the rule, that said I think the ref got it right, we need more common sense. If Harney had displayed some he wouldn't have walked.
Indeed.  There needs to be more common sense like in Rugby.  Harney was fouled, the ref blew the whistle and the cross player continued to hold him.  Nothing knew any team doing this sort of thing, but in rugby the instigators of these situations get punished not the fouled player.  Harneys actions may have warranted a booking only in the fact that similar instances are punished the same way.  But in my opinion this is a problem in gaelic football.  Never in a million years would a rugby player be booked for doing what harney done, and their game is far better off for it.   This lift your hand stuff is nonsense at times.

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: HiMucker on November 15, 2011, 12:53:42 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on November 15, 2011, 11:08:49 AM

Indeed.  There needs to be more common sense like in Rugby.  Harney was fouled, the ref blew the whistle and the cross player continued to hold him.  Nothing knew any team doing this sort of thing, but in rugby the instigators of these situations get punished not the fouled player.  Harneys actions may have warranted a booking only in the fact that similar instances are punished the same way.  But in my opinion this is a problem in gaelic football.  Never in a million years would a rugby player be booked for doing what harney done, and their game is far better off for it.   This lift your hand stuff is nonsense at times.

Looking at the video, what I saw was that Harney was on his knees shielding the ball. McKenna had a wee kick/poke at the ball while it was between Harney's legs. There was minimal force and no direct contact with Harney that I could see. Harney seemed to take offence at that because he pointed to his groin area when remonstrating with the referee afterwards (at least I hope that's why he was pointing there). The referee also held up 3 fingers during the conversation. As I know Sludden is one of the few Tyrone men with more than 3 fingers on each hand, I presume he was indicating that Harney had transgressed a number of times as far as he was concerned (maybe even "ticks"?). It's a shame that the "black book" is not shown to a player when he is ticked anymore. If Harney had been ticked subsequent to his first yellow card then a second would be inevitable given what he did, even if it was minimal.

FERDIE

That would be my take on it HiMucker. Harney made a great catch, Mckenna punched him in the chest knocked him to the ground and then kicked him in the stones. harney reacted by throwing a loose arm which in my opinion didn't connect but by the laws of the game had to go but in the spirit of the game very unjust.
What annoyed me more were the actions of McKenna acting as if he had been shot and crying like a big womans blouse. I thought crossmaglen men were tougher than that.

FERDIE

Overthe post, you seem to know the rules quite well.[ are you a referee]. When does a referee decide on a tick or a yellow? The Crossmaglen Number 6 was ticked three times when he deliberately fouled a player preventing them from making progress in an attack. Could you explain please.

GerryFromDerry

Quote from: FERDIE on November 15, 2011, 01:44:23 PM
Overthe post, you seem to know the rules quite well.[ are you a referee]. When does a referee decide on a tick or a yellow? The Crossmaglen Number 6 was ticked three times when he deliberately fouled a player preventing them from making progress in an attack. Could you explain please.

This guy should def have been sent of for persisting fouling. he made at least 3 personal fouls during the first half alone.
Up the Shamrocks!

OverThePostsAWide

Quote from: FERDIE on November 15, 2011, 01:44:23 PM

Not a referee. Just a pedantic fcuker who reads the rulebook before I go to bed at night  :D
Haven't a clue about what merits a "tick" and how many equal a yellow. But then neither do most referees it seems  ???

screenmachine

McKenna done what I would imagine most players on that pitch would have done if someone who is already booked takes a swing at them ten yards from the referee.  At the end of the day McKenna had the perfect opportunity handed to him to put Ballinderry down to 14 men and he took it. 

At the same time, he could well have been booked himself for the niggling that went on after the foul and the kick at the ball between Harney's legs but referee's rarely punish that kind of stuff, especially when a punch is threw straight after it.   

On a separate note how the umpires, linesmen and referee missed Wilkinson getting punched on the back of the head when play had stopped after he had just got emptied over the line is a mystery.  He was hit twice as hard as McKenna was although his theatrics might not have been in the same league perhaps explaining why the incident was overlooked/missed... ???
I'm gonna punch you in the ovary, that's what I'm gonna do. A straight shot. Right to the babymaker.