who turned down the visit to meet the queen at croke park?

Started by unitedireland, May 18, 2011, 03:36:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unitedireland

Michael o muircheartaigh mentioned something about Down's representatives turning down the offer.
I presume a former president like Peter Quinn would have been invited but i didn't see him in the coverage????
Does anyone know anyone who turn down the visit

DuffleKing

I thought he said down were the only
Northern county to accept their invitation?
Peter Quinn conspicuous by his absence, I'm happy to say.

regal

I would be amazed if anyone from Down turned down an invitation - infact, i would be surprised if there wasn't a couple who invited themselves.

armaghniac

QuoteI thought he said down were the only Northern county to accept their invitation?

They were probably giving out about the temerity of the GAA to have a game spoiling their enjoyment of the Champions League final.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

rrhf

In fairness its every mans right to choose whether they would be involved or not. I do feel a sizable body of opinion within the gaa have kept their opposition quiet or been kept quiet involuntarily by the professional politicians running our association. Their silence and dignity should be respected by miceal etc Instead of highlighting it       

Hardy

rrhf

Only surmising hardy I just know that such a political event as this was received no airtime or debate.  We debated the life out of foreign sports etc. But not a birdy on this. If a conservative organisation like the gaa,allows itself to be politicised for events like this. There must be a serious sweetener on offer.   

northsideboy

Yup. The Quinn family that has cost the Irish taxpayer how many hundreds of millions.

Hardy

Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2011, 04:40:47 PM
Only surmising hardy I just know that such a political event as this was received no airtime or debate.  We debated the life out of foreign sports etc. But not a birdy on this. If a conservative organisation like the gaa,allows itself to be politicised for events like this. There must be a serious sweetener on offer.   

Or it could be that it just wasn't as controversial among GAA members as the "foreign" sports debate, etc.

Could it be that we have, in fact, moved on, if you'll pardon the expression?

rrhf

Now moving on or not is not the point hardy. There was no debate and therefore no voices heard at that time.  And those who decided to be quiet or stayed away represent 1/4 of the democratic organisation me and you love dearly  Their passive approach to the event should not be highlighted as a negative on their part,  I believe

rrhf

Peter quinn has done more for the gaa than you or me. A silly point.

agorm

Quote from: rrhf on May 18, 2011, 05:05:22 PM
Now moving on or not is not the point hardy. There was no debate and therefore no voices heard at that time.  And those who decided to be quiet or stayed away represent 1/4 of the democratic organisation me and you love dearly  Their passive approach to the event should not be highlighted as a negative on their part,  I believe

First of all they are perfectly entitled to stay away and they have made a dignified objection to the visit - not like the scumbags that disgraced us at Parnell Square yesterday.

To be honest I was very disappointed to hear that they had stayed away, as Hardy said I would have thought and expected that we have moved on from that. The Queen has been very dignified in her visit and did make the effort to visit Croker.

But they have their reasons and they are entitled to them.

deiseach

You're right that it would have been good if there had been a debate, but seeing as there was no debate where do you get the figure of 1/4 from?

here comes 6

Why would someone from the north want to go to that for? if a Down man turned it down fair play to him. Down abu

supersarsfields

Quote from: deiseach on May 18, 2011, 05:44:50 PM

You're right that it would have been good if there had been a debate, but seeing as there was no debate where do you get the figure of 1/4 from?

Not sure but it may be based on the fact that 8 out of 32 counties declined the invite. All of which were Ulster counties.

Course that doesn't equal out to 1/4 of the whole organisation but given the GAA didn't entertain any debate on this it would be hard to get an actual figure of those that were opposed to it.