Flourbags Vs Micklow - 22/5/2011, Portlaoise

Started by thejuice, April 26, 2011, 01:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lily4life

I heard Sweeney was injured. Rob Kelly is injured too I think. I would have expected Smith or Dowling to be one of the forwards there. I presume Morgan O'Flaherty will drop back. There'll probably be changes before Sunday though.

Donnellys Hollow

Rob Kelly went off with a hamstring injury in one of the challenge matches last week. Poor lad is cursed with injuries - he's still to start a championship match for Kildare which is fairly unbelievable. Roli also had a bit of a hamstring injury but he was back training last weekend.

Mark O'Sullivan did his knee ligaments in Celbridge's match with Kevins in the county championship so he's unlikely to feature this summer. I think Shorty is injured as well and Robbie Eyres might be the sub keeper. According to Niall Carew, Mikey Conway will play for the Juniors next week against Louth.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Lily4life

Yea Kelly seems to be cursed with injuries alright. I think he has the potential to be one of our best players if he had no injuries.
I'd imagine Sweeney will come out a bit and could work around midfield if needed.
There's definitely a cruciate curse with our lads over the last few years.
Yea I think Shorty hurt his ankle, not 100% sure.
I'm glad to see Connolly making his debut. I've thought for a good while now that he's the best goaly in the county.
It's great to have Conway back, just hope he's not rushed into playing a competitive match. It'll be great if he gets back to playing fully this year.

Lily4life

Lots of rumours going around today that Daryl Flynn fractured his foot last night in training. Awful news.
To me he's one of the most important players we have as we've struggled in the middle since Earley got injured.
Hard to know who'll they'll play in the middle now.
I presume Lynch will stay there with maybe O'Connor partnering him. I'd give him a chance.
They could also move Sweeney or O'Neill out and bring on another forward.
Maybe the rumours about Doyle playing in the middle will also come true.

Donnellys Hollow

Daryl is going to be a huge loss. Had he not suffered a concussion in the first five minutes of the Down match I think we'd have been in the All-Ireland last year. Kildare are cursed.

We have to go horses for courses now. Playing Johnny there won't work now because we need another ball winner. I'd probably go with Tomás Connor as well but I think McGeeney sees him as more of a full-forward. Roli and Paudie will play out around the middle anyway. Probably too soon for the likes of Brophy, Moolick and Hurley. I think he'll go with David Whyte.

Milltown Row2

That's a serious run of bad luck, I've fancied Kildare to give Dublin a serious run this year, At 4/1 to win Leinster I thought they were great value.

They should just about now get past Wicklow, but would need to have a full team against the Dubs
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dinny Breen

What on paper was looking like a straight forward game, with all these injuries it is looking more and more like a potential banana skin. The only saving grace that I can see is that Wicklow have no midfield and if Kildare get parity there we should have enough to win it as Wicklow do concede a lot. McGeeney realises that the Cork's, Tyrone's and Kerry's of the world have all tremendous strength in dept and we're developing a good squad but Kildare will not win anything this year with the likes of Early, Flynn, O'Callaghan, Conway and Kelly all missing and Kavanagh and Smith not firing. The pessimist is telling me we are looking at a short summer.
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I'm beginning to wonder if Kildare can absorb all these blows. This match is really on a knife edge now. There are many parallels with 2008. We picked the wrong team that day when we were overloaded with workers rather than scorers. I do think there will be changes before the throw in tomorrow but there'll need to be. Only JD, Jimmers and Flaherty óg are natural finishers. Smith or Dowling should start.

If we can stop Wicklow scoring goals we should be ok. Mick Foley got a roasting off Seánie Furlong two years ago but he's been Kildare's best player so far this year and he'll relish the challenge. Glynn is obviously the main danger but Emmet Bolton did a decent job on him in their last meeting and hopefully he'll keep him quiet again. Midfield is going to be very important for Kildare now that Flynn has joined Earley on the sidelines. Lynch has plenty of football in him but he really needs to grab this game by the scruff of the neck. I've always wondered whether he has the dog in him for this level and he's going to have to show it tomorrow because he's going to be the senior partner in whatever midfield we go with. If we can get parity around the middle, the likes of Kavanagh and Doyle should do enough damage against the Wicklow backs but it will be tight.

No better man than Dwyer to have a team primed for the big day as we know full well in Kildare. Although there'll only be two Kildare players tomorrow who played under the great man, he understands the Kildare mindset better than anyone and that has me worried.

Donnellys Hollow

Interesting piece on Leper's injury from Darragh Ó Conchuir. Sounds fairly nasty:

http://www.daraghoconchuir.ie/blog.php?id=1054

Wickla team:
M Travers; C Hyland, A Byrne, S Kelly; M McLoughlin, B McGrath, D Hayden; J Stafford, R Finn; T Hannon, P Dalton, P Earls; A O'Malley, S Furlong, L Glynn.

Strong looking forward line. They don't appear to have anything like the injury problems we have either.

Lily4life

Yea I agree that we need another forward like Smith or Dowling on alright.
It's hard to know what way they'll line out tomorrow now.
Midfield will be vital. Personally I do think we'll beat Wicklow but I'd worry that we'll really struggle without Flynn if we come up against Meath or Dublin.
Looking forward to the match now. Come on the Lilies!!

Jinxy

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 20, 2011, 10:51:08 PM
That's a serious run of bad luck, I've fancied Kildare to give Dublin a serious run this year, At 4/1 to win Leinster I thought they were great value.

They should just about now get past Wicklow, but would need to have a full team against the Dubs

::)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

James Kavanagh out as well, wtf!!! Some effort to win this tomorrow  >:(
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

Wicklow 4/1 to win might be worth a shot.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Blowitupref

I placed some money on Wicklow, kildare are sure to win now.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Lily4life

Has anyone heard if Kavanagh is injured? Seems strange that he got dropped.