Amazon Kindle

Started by Ash Smoker, April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bcarrier on December 09, 2011, 09:33:14 PM
Books are finished. The kindle and look alikes will do do books what napster and all that followed have done to CDs.

I suspect amazon have canibalized their original core market now unless they intend to set up a spotify for books . Pirate bay/ utorrent, calibre software from download.com and you have an online library ..just need to cut and paste downloads to device.
Imagine (Books: The Last Chapter?) on BBC1 now is about that very topic.

Armaghgeddon

Is it possible to read the local newspapers on the kindle?

Minder

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on December 17, 2011, 11:25:35 PM
Is it possible to read the local newspapers on the kindle?

Aye the Lurgan Mail is on it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Windmill abu

I got my kindle last christmas. To be honest I have only bought 3 books from amazon via the Kindle since and I have not bought any paperbacks.

I (probably like others who post on here) have a large ebook library which has been shared among internet users.

Before I got my kindle I would have bought 1 book every 2 or 3 weeks. Now it is a lot less.

I now still wait for the latest (Lee Child, Stephen King, Cormac McCarthy) book to be issued.

Has the literary world become part of the internet age where only new works generate revenue and anything older than 6 months has been shared to such an extent that it is no longer financialy viable to publish it.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

thebigfella

Anyone bought a 3g kindle in the US? Any issues using the 3g in Ireland?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thebigfella on December 20, 2011, 04:06:00 PM
Anyone bought a 3g kindle in the US? Any issues using the 3g in Ireland?
As far as I know it is essentially the same yoke is designed to travel so I would say it's fine. I bought the wi-fi only version in the States a couple of weeks ago and have registered it to an amazon.co.uk address.

There should be something covering your question here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/kindle?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx3IRFCNF3E5K2W&cdThread=Tx1JKR2FYLJPKJB

flantheman82

Have just bought my mother in law a kindle for Christmas. Is there anyway to get ebooks downloaded from torrent sites onto them or is it through the kindle itself?
I also have an iPad with the kindle app. Is it the same story with this?

muppet

Quote from: flantheman82 on December 20, 2011, 06:33:48 PM
Have just bought my mother in law a kindle for Christmas. Is there anyway to get ebooks downloaded from torrent sites onto them or is it through the kindle itself?

Through the Kindle bookstore. Most of The Classics are free (as there is no longer any copy-write - I think) so if she was in to that sort of thing you could pre-load it with lots of books.
MWWSI 2017

flantheman82

Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2011, 06:48:47 PM

Through the Kindle bookstore. Most of The Classics are free (as there is no longer any copy-write - I think) so if she was in to that sort of thing you could pre-load it with lots of books.

That's the problem though. She's more into her celebrity autobiographies, more recent books. Not very computer literate so was wondering how hard it would be to set up an amazon account. Is it a one click purchase type of set up to buy the books?

muppet

Quote from: flantheman82 on December 20, 2011, 07:10:00 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2011, 06:48:47 PM

That's the problem though. She's more into her celebrity autobiographies, more recent books. Not very computer literate so was wondering how hard it would be to set up an amazon account. Is it a one click purchase type of set up to buy the books?

It still has a rapidly rising catalogue of books available in the bookstore. I use wifi and it downloads the books really quickly. The software is a little less intuitive than say iPad but for reading only it is far better. She will get the hang of it very quickly.

And yes you will need an Amazon account. But the books are cheaper as there are no publishing/printing/distribution costs.
MWWSI 2017

camanchero

the wife got me a kindle for Christmas and I have bought a few books from amazon already which downloaded easily.
However, is there another repository that I could purchase books from other than amazon - one that may be reasonable in book costs preferably...
TIA

Billys Boots

Try mobilism.org, it's very reasonable - as reasonable as it gets.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

camanchero

Tony Baloney

Quote from: camanchero on January 17, 2013, 03:18:00 PM
thanks Billy
You'll get books on torre ts too if that interests you  ;)