Amazon Kindle

Started by Ash Smoker, April 22, 2011, 12:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

Quote from: onefaircounty on June 21, 2011, 12:29:10 PM
Lads I don't know a whole pile about it.

If someone was a big reader would they notice much difference, how do you turn the page and how is it on the eyesight? How is it for ease of use?
The sony reader is dead handy, Ive had it on holidays and it can be read easy enough. it can take epub or pdf and these are readily available on the net. I know a man who even managed to get a load of books free. Not sure it was legit though. you turn the page either by the button at the bottom or by flicking it.

LeoMc

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 02:55:31 PM

If someone was a big reader would they notice much difference, how do you turn the page and how is it on the eyesight? How is it for ease of use?
The sony reader is dead handy, Ive had it on holidays and it can be read easy enough. it can take epub or pdf and these are readily available on the net. I know a man who even managed to get a load of books free. Not sure it was legit though. you turn the page either by the button at the bottom or by flicking it.

Bit torrent for books!

Applesisapples

Quote from: LeoMc on June 21, 2011, 04:29:06 PM

Bit torrent for books!
I wouldn't know anything about that sir.

LeoMc

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 04:38:08 PM

Bit torrent for books!
but you might kniow a man that might ;)

Applesisapples

Quote from: LeoMc on June 21, 2011, 04:41:18 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on June 21, 2011, 04:38:08 PM

Bit torrent for books!
but you might kniow a man that might ;)
might do too! ;)

Sandy Hill

Am considering buying one of these for Christmas as I do a fair bit of reading; any changes in the fairly positive opinions since June?
"Stercus accidit"

RMDrive

Quote from: Sandy Hill on December 09, 2011, 06:06:44 PM
Am considering buying one of these for Christmas as I do a fair bit of reading; any changes in the fairly positive opinions since June?

Nope. Don't waste your money on 3G.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: RMDrive on December 09, 2011, 06:08:25 PM

3G is a good job, especially if you are travelling and want to download a book. Are you annoyed cos there is no coverage out in the backwoods of Donegal ;)

Archie Mitchell

Can you download the normal books i.e. the ones you pay for on Amazon, for free through torrent sites?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: RMDrive on December 09, 2011, 06:08:25 PM

+1. I have about a hundred books on mine and even if you were travelling you won't be that far from wifi should you want to download a book.

Got the mother the new model for Christmas in the US for $79. Can't be bad til it.

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 09, 2011, 06:38:37 PM
Can you download the normal books i.e. the ones you pay for on Amazon, for free through torrent sites?
A large percentage of books I have on my Kindle would be down to this.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 09, 2011, 06:41:28 PM

Details please!! Same way you download movies and the likes? What websites and what format do they come in?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on December 09, 2011, 06:45:17 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 09, 2011, 06:41:28 PM

Details please!! Same way you download movies and the likes? What websites and what format do they come in?
I loaded mine from a cd of torrent files. From what I remember it's very easy - connect the Kindle to computer via supplied USB cable and transfer downloaded files (PDF, txt, doc and lit files) by drag and drop into Kindle file structure.

Armaghgeddon

Bollocks to buying one of them. HMV do cheap PC tablets for the same price. You can read, watch videos, listen to music and browse internet with em.

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=289;16;-1;-1;-1&sku=187928

bcarrier

Books are finished. The kindle and look alikes will do do books what napster and all that followed have done to CDs.

I suspect amazon have canibalized their original core market now unless they intend to set up a spotify for books . Pirate bay/ utorrent, calibre software from download.com and you have an online library ..just need to cut and paste downloads to device.

bcarrier

they can e-mail it. the challenge will be teaching then how to cut and paste,