QUARTER-FINALS
   14.5.2011    TBC
SEMI-FINALS
   29.6.2011    TBC
FINAL
   10.7.2011    Croke Park
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Always a tough competition to call as evidenced by Longfords ambush of Kildare and subsequent reversal of their 1st round Offaly game in the final.

Anyhow from a Kildare perspective we host the holders Longford this weekend, Kildare have prepared away from the province with little joy in their challenge games. Are the Larries confident heading into this?
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

And how does the draw above work? Can't get my head around the loser sections and how it will produce 2 quarter-finalists!
#newbridgeornowhere

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 13, 2011, 04:02:49 PM
And how does the draw above work? Can't get my head around the loser sections and how it will produce 2 quarter-finalists!

I'd say the first four drawn losers will play each other in Round 1 of the losers section with the winners of these two games playing the other two teams in Round 2. Hope that makes sense.

Not expecting much from Westmeath, this group won Gerry O'Reilly under the new manager Graham O'Connor two years ago but effort not being put in by the players and not looking good in challenge games. Whatever the result on Sat I hope they will then knuckle down and turn it around like the Slashers did last year.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Dinny Breen

QuoteI'd say the first four drawn losers will play each other in Round 1 of the losers section with the winners of these two games playing the other two teams in Round 2. Hope that makes sense.

Gotcha - bloody old age kicking in...
#newbridgeornowhere

Donnellys Hollow

I thought they were doing away with the losers section after the Kildare/Dublin farce last year?

Don't know much about our minors this year but I don't think they will be as strong as the last two years. Presume there'll be plenty of Athy lads given how they've dominated the underage scene in recent times. It was good to see both Maynooth and Clane going well in their respective colleges competitions.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

thejuice

We should have the beatin' of Louth, I'd be fairly confident of that though I would still like to see the named team.  Who do we play after that?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 13, 2011, 05:20:52 PM
I thought they were doing away with the losers section after the Kildare/Dublin farce last year?

Don't know much about our minors this year but I don't think they will be as strong as the last two years. Presume there'll be plenty of Athy lads given how they've dominated the underage scene in recent times. It was good to see both Maynooth and Clane going well in their respective colleges competitions.

That was farcical, killed both sides chances of silverware.

Kildare schools are on the up, outside Dublin we have the most schools in the 'A' championship and you alluded to how well we're doing in the other competitions so based on numbers and standard they are playing at you'd expect us to do well. Alas this is Kildare...
#newbridgeornowhere

Shamrock Shore

QuoteAre the Larries confident heading into this

I am afraid the words Larries and confident rarely inhabit the same paragraph.

The brother will talk it up - but who knows - again esp after the mauling by Offaly this time last year and then being crowned champions in July.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: thejuice on April 13, 2011, 05:34:35 PM
We should have the beatin' of Louth, I'd be fairly confident of that though I would still like to see the named team.  Who do we play after that?

:)

TJ, Louth will be strong Dundalk schools won the Leinster 'A'  Colleges championship this year.
#newbridgeornowhere

thejuice

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

laoisgaa

Dublin will win Leinster outright this year - from what I've seen in the Leinster MFL - very little out there to stop them. The demolished my own native Laois a few weeks back before Dublin/Mayo at Croke Park - beat Longford a week later to take the title - Dessie Farrell at the helm is doing a great job with them

Croí na hÉireann

Westmeath minor football team to play Dublin:

Daren Brady;
Paul Maxwell, James Ganley, Cian Bradley;
Robbie Greville, Killian Daly, David Lynch;
Dean McNicholas, Paddy Holloway;
Neal Kirby, David McCormack, David Whelehan;
Alan Coffey, Lorcan Dolan, Paul Fennell.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

thejuice

Meath (MFC v Louth) -
1. Robert Burlington Simonstown Gaels,

2. Anthony Forde Moynalvey,
3. Conor McGill Ratoath,
4. Cathal Finn St Peters Dunboyne,

5. Declan Smyth Dunsany,
6. Shane McEntee St Peters Dunboyne,
7. Shane Melia Donaghmore/Ashbourne,

8. Conor Sheridan Simonstown Gaels,
9. Adam Flanagan Clonard,

10. Niall Shorthall St Vincents/Curragha,
11. Cathal Smith O'Mahonys,
12 Seamus Mattimoe Round Towers,

13. Bobby O'Brien Ratoath,
14 Cillian O'Sullivan Moynalvey,
15. Willie McGrath Ballinlough/Inny Gaels

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 15, 2011, 09:29:38 AM
Westmeath minor football team to play Dublin:

Daren Brady;
Paul Maxwell, James Ganley, Cian Bradley;
Robbie Greville, Killian Daly, David Lynch;
Dean McNicholas, Paddy Holloway;
Neal Kirby, David McCormack, David Whelehan;
Alan Coffey, Lorcan Dolan, Paul Fennell.

Haven't seen this team play so it's hard to comment. Solid midfield, McNicholas having been involved with the u21s and Holloway was impressive for Castledaly last year, albeit at wing back. Forward line looks decent with Dolan the main threath. Sean Daly only making the bench is a sign that the other 6 must be going well. Not too sure about the backs though. Killian Daly is very good but is not a back and would have thought of Ganly as more of a wing back.