USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

Quotedoubt armagh will be "cocky", where has this came from?

Armagh in their pomp, with McConville, Geezer, McGrane the Twins etc etc were cocky, in a good way (for them); they played with a swagger and truly believed they were among the best teams in Ireland - and rightly so. They had the medals to back it up. Cockiness worked for them, it scared (most of) the opposition and gave them a headstart in games. Made them feel invincible.

I don't believe this Armagh team have anywhere near the standard of players the team of 2001-2005/6 had so it would be a mistake to start believing any hype based on 1 game,albeit a convincing win against the aul enemy, instead they should simply keep doing what they are doing - stay as much under the radar as possible and work very very hard for each other.

Psychologically I think this Armagh team have more to gain from that feeling of being written off and of being seen as underdogs than they do from swaggering into matches where they do not have the 1-15 to match the opposition (further down the summer).

Confidence, belief, yes -take all that from yesterday but it will be a short summer if that old cockiness replaces the hunger to prove people wrong.

bennydorano

Well done Armagh -players and mangement, took us all by suprise.  A fantastic performance, the cohesion of the team and the total tactical annihilation of Down from the Armagh line really are suprising when you look at our league performances this year.  There was obviously a forensic approach taken to Down's gameplan and we countered it fantastically well and excelled at our own game.  Games like that could be the making of this team, the murmurs of discontent will be replaced with confidence in the set up.  I just hope we haven't peaked too soon, we looked like a team that was going into their 3rd or 4th championship game, fantastically fit, sharp and cohesive.  As for Down I've commented 2 or 3 times on this thread alone that they dont convince me, trouble all over the defence and a very average MF.

Some great performances with perhaps only Stevie having an off night, Jamie would probably be most people's MOTM but I would find it hard to chooose between Dyas, Andy Mallon and Donaghy for it.

INDIANA

Great performance from Armagh - played really well. Hard to believe how bad Down were though. Hard to know whether down will come abck through the qualifiers. And with all he talk of Clarke going back to Oz- Down are in a spot of bother.

Gives Armagh something to build with. Ulster is so open anyone could win it this year.

Overall standard of the game was really good especially from Armagh.

Will be interesting to read the apologists now on the Armagh management.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: tyroneman on May 29, 2011, 10:37:49 AM
Quotedoubt armagh will be "cocky", where has this came from?

Armagh in their pomp, with McConville, Geezer, McGrane the Twins etc etc were cocky, in a good way (for them); they played with a swagger and truly believed they were among the best teams in Ireland - and rightly so. They had the medals to back it up. Cockiness worked for them, it scared (most of) the opposition and gave them a headstart in games. Made them feel invincible.

I don't believe this Armagh team have anywhere near the standard of players the team of 2001-2005/6 had so it would be a mistake to start believing any hype based on 1 game,albeit a convincing win against the aul enemy, instead they should simply keep doing what they are doing - stay as much under the radar as possible and work very very hard for each other.

Psychologically I think this Armagh team have more to gain from that feeling of being written off and of being seen as underdogs than they do from swaggering into matches where they do not have the 1-15 to match the opposition (further down the summer).

Confidence, belief, yes -take all that from yesterday but it will be a short summer if that old cockiness replaces the hunger to prove people wrong.

and these players are retired...

charlie stubbs

Quote from: INDIANA on May 29, 2011, 11:44:41 AM
Great performance from Armagh - played really well. Hard to believe how bad Down were though. Hard to know whether down will come abck through the qualifiers. And with all he talk of Clarke going back to Oz- Down are in a spot of bother.

Gives Armagh something to build with. Ulster is so open anyone could win it this year.

criticism of por was fully justified during league, tho he got it spot on last night.  Dont think an apology required, we pay our hard earned money into games and are entitled to opinions.  imo por isnt the man for the job, great display lastnight though and fair play to players and management

INDIANA

Quote from: charlie stubbs on May 29, 2011, 11:50:25 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on May 29, 2011, 11:44:41 AM

criticism of por was fully justified during league, tho he got it spot on last night.  Dont think an apology required, we pay our hard earned money into games and are entitled to opinions.  imo por isnt the man for the job, great display lastnight though and fair play to players and management

He's not the man for the job but got his side shorn of several key players to produce armagh's best championship performance in about 5 years. Ok then.

tyroneman

Quoteand these players are retired...

er..yes, they are

My point was that THIS Armagh team should be careful not fall into the trap of overconfidence after 1 game.

The Armagh team which preceded this one were very cocky...but had the chops to back it up. Sometimes younger teams like to think they have a right to (or are obliged to) trade off the image of their predecessors without having any solid reason to (the Down aristocrats being an example - maybe this Down team bought into that one also?).

charlie stubbs

Down probably underestiated armagh, though think conditions also helped.

balladmaker

Fair play Armagh, I had a sneaky feeling they would pull a performance out for the Down game, and so they did.  Hunger was the difference between the teams, and without trying to overstate his ability, Jamie Clarke is one of the very best forwards in Ireland without a doubt.  He has a massive few years ahead of him in the Armagh and Cross jerseys.

Last night's victory will mean little when they face Derry on June 19th, one game at a time, and Armagh still have an awful lot to improve on.

The hunger was back for the Down game, now for keeping it going.  Congrats to POR, was obvious from his reaction how much he needed that victory last night.

get up there

cracking game, well done armagh, the anti por tread will be quite now :P

attheraces

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 29, 2011, 12:53:41 PM
Quote from: get up there on May 29, 2011, 12:21:35 PM

Quite what?

At the end of the day, there has been no change in the management and tactical abilities of POR. Last night's win cannot be attributed to him or his managerial skills.

Are you seriously suggesting that Paddy O'Rourke can take no credit for Armagh's win last night? None?
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

imtommygunn

Quite what?

At the end of the day, there has been no change in the management and tactical abilities of POR. Last night's win cannot be attributed to him or his managerial skills.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

attheraces

Quote from: Take Your Points on May 29, 2011, 01:26:19 PM
Quote from: attheraces on May 29, 2011, 01:16:33 PM

Quite what?

Ok, only thing is

Are you seriously suggesting that Paddy O'Rourke can take no credit for Armagh's win last night? None?

At some stage Donal Murtagh who is a tried and tested AI winning manager had to come to the fore.  This in combination with the input of forwards and midfiled coaches and finally some payback on the huge amount being paid to a conditioning coach.  The major 'tactic' from last night was an Armagh team at long last playing with 6 forwards and getting the backs to stand up and take on their opposite numbers, something that many Armagh posters on this Board has implored management to do for quite a few years.  There were no sweepers to in place to protect the full backs.

Yes, and Donal Murtagh and all the backroom team deserve plaudits for contributing to the victory. But at the end of the day Paddy O'Rourke is the manager and the main man in the management setup, so to give his backroom staff and assistants plaudits and deny him any praise is laughable. At the end of the day Armagh have beaten last year's AI finalists when a lot of people did not expect them to, it is fine slating a manager when things are going bad and calling for change, but when that change does come about (as you have admitted yourself) at least show the humility to give credit where credit is due.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

brokencrossbar1

I am still to be convinced about POR as the manager to take this team where it needs to be.  I don't think it is a coincidence that the forwards played better after Oisin was brought in, nor do I see it a coincidence that CV played a strong game after McGrane being there for some work.  Maybe this is a trend that POR will continue, it was something that JK did with us in Cross quite a lot, he realised he didn't know everything.  If POR tales this approach and manages in a Clive Woodward style then I would welcome that.  If he can do that then he deserves to be recognised as a good manager.  One swallow does not make a summer though.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: bennydorano on May 29, 2011, 10:59:27 AM
Well done Armagh -players and mangement, took us all by suprise.  A fantastic performance, the cohesion of the team and the total tactical annihilation of Down from the Armagh line really are suprising when you look at our league performances this year.  There was obviously a forensic approach taken to Down's gameplan and we countered it fantastically well and excelled at our own game.  Games like that could be the making of this team, the murmurs of discontent will be replaced with confidence in the set up.  I just hope we haven't peaked too soon, we looked like a team that was going into their 3rd or 4th championship game, fantastically fit, sharp and cohesive.  As for Down I've commented 2 or 3 times on this thread alone that they dont convince me, trouble all over the defence and a very average MF.

Some great performances with perhaps only Stevie having an off night, Jamie would probably be most people's MOTM but I would find it hard to chooose between Dyas, Andy Mallon and Donaghy for it.

Wouldnt agree there, while he wasnt the best in his scoring ability he set a few points up...that point in the second half where he just knocked the ball down to BJP (think it was him) was just amazing, there is now alot of confidence amongst out forwards.