USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 29, 2011, 04:15:44 AM
I only saw brief highlights of the match but Billy Joe Padden looked like a superstar during the game. This being a guy who I would usually equate to a Mayo version of Mattie Clancy without the goal scoring ability.

Is he just playing on a better team/system or has he suddenly got a lot better?

No longer has the psychological burden of a Mayo Jersey on his back.
#newbridgeornowhere

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 29, 2011, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 29, 2011, 04:15:44 AM
I only saw brief highlights of the match but Billy Joe Padden looked like a superstar during the game. This being a guy who I would usually equate to a Mayo version of Mattie Clancy without the goal scoring ability.

Is he just playing on a better team/system or has he suddenly got a lot better?

No longer has the psychological burden of a Mayo Jersey on his back.

There could be a lot to be said for that along with the lack of expectation to be his fathers son, if you know what I mean.  He has talent and it showed last night where he wasn't expected to be something he's not.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: AFS on May 29, 2011, 05:05:09 AM
Quote from: bigpaul on May 29, 2011, 01:08:34 AM
How do you only award your two midfielders 3? Bizarre in my opinion!

Snap. Thought the Down midfield killed us for about 15 minutes each side of half time. King seemed very decent during these periods. Our midfield might have edged it overall, but it's not as if they were completely dominant.

I would agree there.  I felt over the 60 minutes King and Toner moreorless cancelled each other out and that was good for us as King is their main ball winner and a lot of stuff is launched from him winning primary possession.  Ftizpatrick was good in the first half and won a lot of ball in key areas but CV picked it up big time in the second half and won a lot of vital ball.

Leo

Quote from: AFS on May 29, 2011, 05:05:09 AM
Quote from: bigpaul on May 29, 2011, 01:08:34 AM
How do you only award your two midfielders 3? Bizarre in my opinion!

Snap. Thought the Down midfield killed us for about 15 minutes each side of half time. King seemed very decent during these periods. Our midfield might have edged it overall, but it's not as if they were completely dominant.

Watched it again on TV - Down midfield completely over-run. Meanwhile Dan Gordon, one of the best midfielders in the country, looks more and more like a square peg in a round hole.
Fierce tame altogether

DuffleKing

Why down lost?

Armagh have better players...

waitingforsam

Dont normally post on here,

However, congrats to Armagh. The took a lot of people by suprise & they fully deserved their win. A few lads raised their game, BJ Padden & Mal Mackin were very good IMO.

Armagh were hungry & POR's hate for certain members of the down county board was cascaded down into the players passion for the win.

Down didnt get out of the blocks in all areas of the park, Martin Clarke had an off night, danny hughes was exceptionally quiet, Mark Poland was good & won a fair bit of breaking ball.

I am sorry to say I dont rate Dan McCartan, or Eoin McCartan who I understand dosent get a full game for Burren (I many be incorrect there). either way, I dont rate them.

Big Dan needs out of full back & into the middle of the park again, we need to find a replacement though
Back door again & Ulster is wide open.

Dissapointed
Been waiting since '94

charlie stubbs

Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2011, 10:39:03 PM
That was a great game to watch.

Thought Down were very flat and will improve. Armagh are limited but played their wee hearts out. I'd imagine Down would hammer them if they meet in August.

typical idiotic post from you. dont think either team would hammer other armagh pulled away at the end lastnight.

charlie stubbs

Quote from: tyroneman on May 29, 2011, 12:25:13 AM
Does this mean the anti PoR brigade will pipe down for a bit????

I thought Armagh were tremendous. Vernon, O'Rourke, Padden, 'Crackin' Mackin,Clarke were excellent.

Armagh have a real chance to win Ulster, they will beat Derry easy and give  right lash at whoever comes through the other side.

i doubt derry be a easy game. 

ck

Just watched the BBC coverage on sky + and did anyone else notice Martin McHughs constant referral to the fact that Down can't play well in the rain. I think McHugh is usually on the money but this is stuff of myth and legend.

Jarlath was like a child on Christmas morning. First time in 11 years he didnt back Armagh and you could see the surprise and delight written all over him.

tyroneman

I'm just curious but why is there such a rush to deify Martin Clarke?

A good player, certainly, but nowhere near the 'legend' status the commentators and papers seem to have bestowed upon him. He has won nothing in Senior Inter County football  but seems to have everyone in raptures.

Last night he was in McKeevers pocket, just as he was in O'Leary's pocket in the AIF, neither did he do anything to trouble Tyrone in Ulster last year.  3 key games, 3 games in which he did very little.

Now before the Down fellas go off on one, I believe he is very talented and has huge potential but simply has not delivered on this, where it has mattered, so far.

And this is not necessarily all his fault either.

It seems apparent he is under pressure to be a 9/10 player every game, where a little less hype might help him immeasurably. Hughes and Coulter arguably bring more to the team and need to be the key men to take some of the pressure away form Clarke, last night they too were poor (Benny less so) and so all heads turned to Martin to see how he would carry Down through.

Far far too much expected of such a young player at this stage.

Were the Down lads happy with Wee James's tactics and substitutions last night? Thought he looked bewildered at times.

As I said before - very impressed with Armagh and good to see the bullsh*t about PoR knocked back a little. I'm sure a loss against Derry will have the get PoR out bandwagon in full tilt again but that team seem to have responsed for him.

Quotei doubt derry be a easy game.

It will be easier than last night for Armagh. Derry's defence is nowhere near quick enough to cope with Clarke and Armagh should have the men to keep Bradley jnr, Gilligan etc out of action, provided that aul Armagh cockiness doesn't start to creep in.........

ck

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 29, 2011, 09:18:55 AM

Why down lost?

Armagh have better players...

Disagree. Down have a few limited defenders who were found out up against the quality of Clarke. Down have as many players if not more of top quality. Wee James just needs to find a few more hardened defenders. I think his brother is very limited.

charlie stubbs

doubt armagh will be "cocky", where has this came from?

Groucho

Marty Clarke suffered from the rain more than others......his wing-mirrors were hard to see out of :D
I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

Farneylawd2011

I enjoyed the two games in Armagh last night the seniors and the miniors two very enjoyable games.Jamie Clarke was class worked very well.McKeever did great marking Marty Clarke.ABilly Joe Paden great game aswell.Aaron Kernan had a nice game to.Charlie Veron had some great catches in the midfield.

Farneylawd2011

Poor defence
Armagh just far better team
Armagh were the faster
Bad midfield ( in my own opinion)