USFC Qtr Final - Armagh V Down - Athletic Grounds 28th May 7:30pm

Started by Brick Tamlin, April 13, 2011, 10:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: lfdown2 on May 18, 2011, 10:50:41 PM
Can we give up on this? Or should we just postpone the Championship until June or July until the premiership is over? Sure we can cancel the whole thing and make do with the league if the world cup is on that year. Simple decision, if you want to see a game in Wembley stay at home and watch it on TV, if not show up at the athletic grounds.

It's not an international bank holiday on Monday!

I don't agree, This is a very unusual clash. To have one of the most popularly supported soccer teams playing in the biggest match possible does not happen every year. Also the champion's league final was known about before the championship calendar was made. It was a deliberate and foolish choice to clash with this event. Sense would say that you arrange events around other major events. It should have been scheduled for Sunday where it clashed with nothing. I previously thought we should play it regardless and refuse to be dictated to by other sports but I've changed my mind. That was an arrogant attitude and it does no good.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: snoopdog on May 19, 2011, 09:44:51 AM
The ulster council are notorious bell ends they wont change it.
Remember these are the same idots that have the Ulster Final on the 17th July giving the runners up in Ulster 5 days to prepare for the qualifiers.
They are fools and deserve to fall on their faces next weekend.

Give over will you. If you feel so strongly about it go watch your beloved Man Utd and forget about the Down match.

snoopdog

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 19, 2011, 09:58:34 AM
Remember these are the same idots that have the Ulster Final on the 17th July giving the runners up in Ulster 5 days to prepare for the qualifiers.

Give over will you. If you feel so strongly about it go watch your beloved Man Utd and forget about the Down match.

Interesting coming from a guy with a man city player as his pic profile. If city by some miracle were in the champions league final. You would be in the same predicament.
I was always going to Watch United if thegames clashed, but the ulster council are idiots.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: snoopdog on May 19, 2011, 10:04:46 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on May 19, 2011, 09:58:34 AM

Interesting coming from a guy with a man city player as his pic profile. If city by some miracle were in the champions league final. You would be in the same predicament.
I was always going to Watch United if thegames clashed, but the ulster council are idiots.

Well if you have already decided your going to watch the match then stop complaining about it.

Anytime City have played on TV, and my club or county have been playing I have watched them, simple decision.

ardtole

Personally I have no problem with the game being on the Sat night, Im looking forward to it. If you want to go to the game, go to it. If you want to watch the united game then do that. Its just a matter of prioritising what means more to you. I would be surprised if there wasnt a big crowd at it I think supporters from both counties will be out in force.

On the game itself, the favourite tag that Down are carrying into this game does not sit easy with me, if ever there was a team to give us our comeuppance and bring us back down to earth it would be Armagh. On the other side of the coin im hoping its our watershed moment similar to Armagh in 99 when they hammerred us in Clones and went on to dominate ulster football along with tyrone. This Down team still hasnt won anything but heres hoping we correct that this summer.

tonto1888

My only gripe with this is that im in newcastle england for a stag that weekend, and I better get somewhere to watch the match - Ard Mhacha v An Dun - and with the CL Final being on at the same time that may be hard to do

NP 76

Have to agree ardhole iif you want to watch the champions league watch it if you want to go to Armagh go to it i for one will be in Armagh without doubt . Everyone looks forward to the summer for the championship at the end of the day its everyones own decision . What would happen if it was clashing with the All Ireland final what game would people choose

mackers

Not back to this sh1te again................Snoopdog half of your 312 posts have been on this subject. Would you give it a rest? It's noticeable that most of the crying about this is coming from SOME Down posters................
Ardtole made an excellent point that this is Down's chance to rectify the 99 final as Armagh are at a low ebb......I would've thought any Down man worth his salt would want to be there.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Applesisapples

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 19, 2011, 09:52:37 AM
Can we give up on this? Or should we just postpone the Championship until June or July until the premiership is over? Sure we can cancel the whole thing and make do with the league if the world cup is on that year. Simple decision, if you want to see a game in Wembley stay at home and watch it on TV, if not show up at the athletic grounds.

I don't agree, This is a very unusual clash. To have one of the most popularly supported soccer teams playing in the biggest match possible does not happen every year. Also the champion's league final was known about before the championship calendar was made. It was a deliberate and foolish choice to clash with this event. Sense would say that you arrange events around other major events. It should have been scheduled for Sunday where it clashed with nothing. I previously thought we should play it regardless and refuse to be dictated to by other sports but I've changed my mind. That was an arrogant attitude and it does no good.
Paul most Barca fans have Sky plus and don't really mind, MU fans a bit like Armagh Fans should be grateful.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: PAULD123 on May 19, 2011, 09:52:37 AM

On the Sunday both Down and Armagh are in action in the SHC. Cork play Tipp in the hurling at Thurles also so there would be a clash. Whist this may be of no interest to you, the point I am making is the GAA let thier own fixtures clash throughout the summer so they are not going re schedule anything due to the soccer.

I like many others only miss attending county matches when they clash with weddings etc but thats life. When I miss matches it doesn't make me any less 'worth my salt' or any less of a true Down fan. On Saturday week this clash will only be relevant to Utd fans and both Down and Armagh will lose a fair share of several supporters for the evening who will prefer to sit in front of the box with their Utd caps on. 

I for one wont miss it for the world - even if my own soccer team had have made it to the CLF.

ardtole

You hit the nail on the head their joe, ive had to miss down games occassionally due to weddings, work etc. very rarely championship however. The game is on the sat evening, I wish people could just accept that and choose to watch whatever game is more important to them. I still expect a big crowd there, the fact its a derby game, 1st game in the new morgan athletic ground and a championship match it will mean much more to the majority of supporters from both counties that the utd v Barcelona game. Im not naive enough to suggest the cl final wont effect the size of the crowd but I think it is being exaggerated that the crowd could be down by 6 or 7 thousand.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Anyway back to the game itself, it would appear difficult to predict how both teams will line out. Who will Armagh select in the forwards alongside J Clarke and Stevie? And will McCartan stick with last years defence now that Rooney and Garvey are available again.

Heres my selection for Down:

McVeigh

Rafferty
Gordan
B McArdle

Garvey
Rooney
McKernan

King
Fitzpatrick

Hughes
Poland
Maginn

Coulter
Clarke
McComiskey/Laverty

ardtole

I think Gerard McCartan has done enough to deserve a starting place, I think he would be our best option for picking up Jamie Clarke. It is good that we strength in depth in this position now though. If a corner back picks up an early booking or is getting a rough time of it, there is a replacement ready to come in.

fitzroyalty

Well played Ulster Council, only the true gaels from both counties will be present for the game.

Joe Umbrella (hey)

Quote from: fitzroyalty on May 19, 2011, 02:31:28 PM
Well played Ulster Council, only the true gaels from both counties will be present for the game.

Aye no drunkin bandwagon jumpers, imagine if we were playing Monaghan that Saturday instead. There would b nobody at it! (apart from us few die hards)