Connacht SFC QF New York v Roscommon 1.5.11 Páirc na Gael the Bronx

Started by ross4life, April 12, 2011, 04:30:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 02, 2011, 12:02:18 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on May 02, 2011, 11:52:48 AM
Quote from: new devil on May 02, 2011, 11:13:46 AM
Quote from: new devil on April 29, 2011, 12:07:44 AM
:o :o I've just seen on PP that the spread is 7...christmas has come early lads..Get on Ross ASAP

Hope you's all listened  ;)

Pardon my ignorance i'm new to the betting scene but how does that spread bet work?

Esentily NY had a seven point head start. For you to get money back on a Ros win they had to beat NY by at least 8 points.

Cheers, i should have popped a few pound on then  :( so how much did people win?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

ross4life

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

spectator

Good win there, well done to all. Thanks for the coverage links to whoever put them up btw.

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on May 01, 2011, 09:39:39 PM
Is 3-21 Rosses highest ever championship score, or is 24 scores their highest ever number of scores in a champ game?

The biggest score i've seen Ros put up, including # of scores also, was in the 1980 preliminary round when we hit London for 9-19 in The Hyde, with Tony Mac and Mick Finneran both scoring hat-tricks. We scored 6-11 in the second half of that game.

Galway went for 1-14 in the semi, while Mayo were dispatched for 3-13 to clinch 4-in-a-row Connachts that year also.

We kicked 2-20 against Armagh in the AISF that year, hitting them for 2-13 in the second half alone.

And probably our biggest ever challenge win came in that year also, when we blitzed the Dubs (John O'Leary in goals!) by 9-15 to 1-6 in The Hyde. 6-9 of that came in the second half.

The Ros certainly didn't sit back when they had their opponents on the ropes back then.

Mick Finneran kicked 5-20, Tony Mac 6-7, Jigger 3-15 and Dermot Earley 1-13 in that year's championship.

Not a bad year, 1980, even if the spoilsport Kerrymen went and spoiled it all at the death.

*Warning: Sligonian look away ;)
I remember seeing us scoring something like 3-24 in a rout of Sligo at Tubbercurry back around then also, but that may have been an U-21 championship game.

Tatler Jack

And for balance our lowest score was probably 1 point v Gaway in the c'ship in 1968 or 69 in Ballinasloe.

Aaron Boone

mannix

Those videos show how weak new York are, they probably could give Kilkenny a game though.

spectator

Quote from: Tatler Jack on May 02, 2011, 04:39:03 PM
And for balance our lowest score was probably 1 point v Gaway in the c'ship in 1968 or 69 in Ballinasloe.

Not so I'm afraid TJ. While 1969 was bad, 0-8 to 0-1, at least we raised a flag ... unlike the dark day in 1933 when we went down to the Tribesmen by 2-10 to 0-0.

I think Galway are the only team to have held us scoreless in championship, although the Mayoites gave us an early kicking by holding us to a single point twice, in 1904 (Ballina v Elphin) & 1921.

Lovely Leitrim got in on the act in 1923 when trimming us 2-5 to 0-1. And Sligo have managed to hold us to two points on two occasions in 1922 & 1925.

And just to add to our house of pain, while we might enjoy having beaten Kerry at all grades when it comes to the silverware side of things, they also held us to a point in the 1914 AISF winning by 2-4 to 0-1.

Jeez, but it's a slippery slope once you start down it ... that's more than enough of that for now I reckon  ;)

Tatler Jack

I meant in ETJ  time - era Tatler Jack!! I was in Ballinasloe on that painful day.

Anyway thanks for the rundown on the other maulings - its no wonder we have broad shoulders!!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 01, 2011, 09:56:42 PM
Well done Rossies on the huge win, i know as they say "lighting doesn't Strike twice" but who knows you might shock Sligo again?

To be fair it won't be much of a shock if they beat Sligo again. More a shock this year if Sligo manage to get to the Connacht final in my opinion.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Well we survived our New york game with consumate ease to say the least of it despite the portents of gloom and pessimism doing some rounds last week.
Who remembered the Longford game Sunday night?
However the real Championship starts now and no doubt Sligo will be smarting for revenge for us spoiling 2010 for them. I know Laythrum will have something to say but if Sligo can't overcome them ....
So it's 6 weeks of quiet preparation for us lads as we leave the GAAboard to the Rhubarbs to fill 50 pages or so before their g ame with London.
Tatler and Spectator .. no more of those horror stories please ... but at least it makes the 2005 to 2008 years look not too bad  :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Leo

Quote from: Aaron Boone on May 02, 2011, 05:24:19 PM
I've never seen a pitch with so many lines.

Can't  believe that in 2011 the GAA is still depending on pitches like that - if you were watching it in B&W you'd swear it was from the 1930's. Is that the best show we can put on in our "global" promotion of GAA?
Fierce tame altogether

Blowitupref

Why don't New York play London in the Connacht championship? at least one of them would get a win every 6 years.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

new devil

Quote from: boojangles on April 28, 2011, 10:56:47 AM
Quote from: new devil on April 28, 2011, 01:01:40 AM
Quote from: boojangles on April 28, 2011, 12:59:30 AM
Look out for a lad named Francie Cleary, should be playing round the half forward line. A former club mate of mine. Holds a rare distinction of having represented 3 counties- Cavan at Under 16 and Minor level, London at Senior level and New York at Senior level.

If hes starting i won't be wasting $30 paying into it...He couldn't even make the Cork team last year!! Are you sure hes even in the squad?

Cop yourself on. A very talented player when he is committed. He didnt make the Cork team for a few games alright (for personal reasons!!) but he has been training hard for this and I hope he starts and proves you wrong.

Didn't prove me wrong!!

Blowitupref

Quote from: new devil on May 03, 2011, 11:03:19 PM
Quote from: boojangles on April 28, 2011, 10:56:47 AM
Quote from: new devil on April 28, 2011, 01:01:40 AM
Quote from: boojangles on April 28, 2011, 12:59:30 AM
Look out for a lad named Francie Cleary, should be playing round the half forward line. A former club mate of mine. Holds a rare distinction of having represented 3 counties- Cavan at Under 16 and Minor level, London at Senior level and New York at Senior level.

If hes starting i won't be wasting $30 paying into it...He couldn't even make the Cork team last year!! Are you sure hes even in the squad?

Cop yourself on. A very talented player when he is committed. He didnt make the Cork team for a few games alright (for personal reasons!!) but he has been training hard for this and I hope he starts and proves you wrong.

Didn't prove me wrong!!

Reading the report Cleary didn't start & only came on with 20mins to go when the game was long over.

new devil

Yea it says it all about New York when lads who couldn't make there club teams here last summer were playing for New York on Sunday...Think its about time they pulled out of the All Ireland championship and join the North American board and let there teams compete in the North American championships