Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

Quote from: ludermor on May 31, 2011, 01:21:25 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on May 31, 2011, 11:29:13 AM
Quote from: ludermor on May 31, 2011, 11:13:35 AM
Well a few of them had no bother going out for a few pinits in London after the game ( even though they were susposed to be on a place striaght home??) so they werent too upset with their performances!

FFS luder, its an amateur sport. If lads wanted to have a pint with their family and friends after the game then its none of your business.

Disgraceful comment  >:(
Oh FFS get over yourself,there standard line was the team was going straight home to Mayo after the game but there was a few lads out in the city after . They were almost the subject of the biggest embassasment in Mayo GAA history but they didnt seem too disappointed.

Very unfair way to look at things, there was some of the management team and members of the county board out too, perhaps we should have chased them out of the ground when we had a chance.  :D

AbbeySider

Quote from: passedit on May 31, 2011, 01:49:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 31, 2011, 12:54:28 PM
James Horan is a genius.

Further evidence of which I hear is a thirty minute 'game' without the ball at one of the recent Mayo training sessions. Now if he can only persuade the opposition to do the same

Im sure these stories carry all the way to North Down and im sure they are true  ;)

passedit

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 31, 2011, 03:28:11 PM
Quote from: passedit on May 31, 2011, 01:49:01 PM
Quote from: muppet on May 31, 2011, 12:54:28 PM
James Horan is a genius.

Further evidence of which I hear is a thirty minute 'game' without the ball at one of the recent Mayo training sessions. Now if he can only persuade the opposition to do the same

Im sure these stories carry all the way to North Down and im sure they are true  ;)

I'm confident of my sources. Are you saying this didn't happen? BTW I was in Ruislip in 96 and only a very one sided refereeing display saved yer blushes that day, so I wouldn't be writing off the year just yet.
Don't Panic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on May 31, 2011, 12:11:13 PM
I'm with Abbeysider here, suggesting the players had pints the night before is way off the mark Lar. I know one player who had a Champions League final ticket and he didn't even ask if he could go because he didn't want his focus to come off the game. There was a lot of complacency at the back of some minds I guess. Perhaps it is just human nature.

Talking to the players after they were told no drink on the Sunday night. I think a couple might have waited on in London and I wouldn't begrudge them a couple of scoops. They get few enough chances and while they didn't do much to deserve a big pour, they're still four weeks away from Galway. It does distil the conflict between the professional attitudes expected of the players and the amateur reality.

A Íosa Críost na bhFlaitheas, you and Abbey take your football far too seriously!  ;D
I never claimed that I can understand the complexities of modern football any more than I understood the ditto of the game back in my own time.
I'd go as far as admitting that I probably know less than John O"Mahony.
But, sure as hell, I do know plenty about players taking the opposition for granted and nearly paying the price and I think this happened with many of our lads last Sunday. All that is a long way short of accusing anyone of taking to the field in a half cut condition either.
But if what we saw on Sunday was a Mayo side with with 100% focus and commitment from every player, we have a short summer ahead of us.
If some of the lads had a couple of pints on the quiet or indulged in a late night burger and chips or stayed up to watch a late night movie so what?
It's only an amateur game and you can't expect impressionable young lads to have sense all the time.
If some of them took London too much for granted, then they will have learned a very valuable lesson and I'm still backing Mayo to take Connacht btw.
Put it another way, if many on the field were off-focus on the day, it will have have been a blessing in disguise. If they had really been off-form, I'd be very worried.
Roll on Galway!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mannix

still cannot understand how mayo came so close against a team that were the down there with kilkenny. did mayo understimate and london rise for the occasion?
could you see cork or kerry being surprised by waterford like mayo were by london?  not a chance.

AbbeySider

Quote from: mannix on May 31, 2011, 04:19:14 PM
still cannot understand how mayo came so close against a team that were the down there with kilkenny. did mayo understimate and london rise for the occasion?
could you see cork or kerry being surprised by waterford like mayo were by london?  not a chance.

If I am not mistaken Mannix, didnt Kerry get a bit of a fright from Limerick last year?
Limerick being a division 4 team, down there with Kilkenny and Kerry only squeezing out a late victory by 3 points?

A soft goal, a missed penalty, or a few more wides and Kerry could have been red faced too. You get the odd funny game like that.

Galway were nearly embarrassed by New York in recent years too, after which didnt they change the rule to let the losers into the back door?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 31, 2011, 04:32:43 PM
Galway were nearly embarrassed by New York in recent years too, after which didnt they change the rule to let the losers into the back door?

That was only last year and while it was close for much of the game, Galway still pulled away towards the end to win by 7 points. It was a slapdash performance that did not bode well for the rest of our Summer unfortunately.

Blowitupref

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 31, 2011, 04:46:28 PM

That was only last year and while it was close for much of the game, Galway still pulled away towards the end to win by 7 points. It was a slapdash performance that did not bode well for the rest of our Summer unfortunately.
Galway only pulled away because NY lost their heads e.g getting two players sent off.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 31, 2011, 04:58:13 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 31, 2011, 04:46:28 PM

Galway only pulled away because NY lost their heads e.g getting two players sent off.

Well that and the fact that they scored some points and goals.

squire_in_navy_slacks

Did david brady give any pearls of wisdom in regards to mayos poor performance ???

the Deel Rover

fair balls to you abbeysider your fighting the good fight for your clubman  :D anyway roll on galway . seem to remember in 2006 we were brutul against leitrim as well
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

the Deel Rover

Quote from: squire_in_navy_slacks on May 31, 2011, 05:02:04 PM
Did david brady give any pearls of wisdom in regards to mayos poor performance ???

aye jet lag
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

ross4life

It promises to be a exciting climax to the Connacht championship but as proud Connacht man you would have to fear for the chances of all the teams once they enter the All Ireland series.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ross4life on May 31, 2011, 05:13:15 PM
It promises to be a exciting climax to the Connacht championship but as proud Connacht man you would have to fear for the chances of all the teams once they enter the All Ireland series.

i dunno ross4life apart from the armagh down game the rest of the games played were shite as well
Crossmolina Deel Rovers