Dermot Earley

Started by Jinxy, April 09, 2011, 02:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I read today that he ruptured his cruciate again.
Very sad to hear.
A great warrior and a smashing fella.
It's hard to see him coming back from this one.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Donnellys Hollow

Desperate blow for Dermot Earley but I wouldn't be quick to write him off just yet. The man is a true great and I hope we see him again in the bán go leor. He has come through far worse in the past.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

ross matt

Gutted when I read it myself. But agree with Donnellys Hollow. Wouldnt write him off yet. Loads on mental strength and character in the man.

Lily11

Awful news. Absolutely gutted for him.
He's been such brilliant player for us down through the years, a pleasure to watch.
I know he's came through a lot of things over the years but he's in his 30's now and looking at another year on the sidelines with the knee so I wouldn't be surprised if he called it a day. 

Tubberman

Heard it on the radio today - an awful pity.
He's a great player, and a guy nobody would begrudge any bit of success to.
Hope he makes it back to give it one last go, but he's had a very tough few years.
Maybe that'll make up his mind to call it a day, or maybe it will drive him on, he has the mental strength to come back from this.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Sorry to hear this awful news.
Hope he will wear the Lillywhite again although the odds are getting longer unfortunately.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ross4life

At 32 & all the injuries Dermot has got over the years most would just give it up but knowing Mr Earley he'll be back for one final run.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Donnellys Hollow

Earley tipped to come back strong
Tue, Apr 12, 2011

GAELIC GAMES : KIERAN McGEENEY has told Dermot Earley to take his time before thinking about his future at intercounty level, but is backing the Kildare midfielder to come back as strong as ever.

Earley is coming to terms with rupturing the cruciate ligament in his right knee, just five months after having the same injury plus a micro-fracture on the top of his cartilage operated on.

"We're planning without Dermot at the minute, but the one positive for him is that it will give the micro-fracture more time to heal," said McGeeney. "It's a tough one to come back from, it's not good for him, but he's a tough fella upstairs and, hopefully, he'll react in the right way to it.

"You can't talk for the fella (with regard to what he is going to do). I told him to stay away (on Sunday) and let him gather his thoughts. He's enough going on. It's been a tough year for him, so just let him off for a day or two and see what he comes back with."

© 2011 The Irish Times

heffo

Hope he makes it back - terrible news for the fella.

One of my favourite players over the last 15 years.

orangeman

Awful news indeed.

Terrible blow to him personally and to Kildare. When I watched Kildare in Dungannon 2 weeks ago, I was thinking how badly needed Dermot would be for Kildare this summer.

It won't be this summer but hopefully we haven't seen the last of him.

Capt Pat

Is he in the army as well? Does that mess up his career prospects?

shark

Quote from: Capt Pat on April 12, 2011, 11:24:20 AM

No is the short answer.

ross matt

Quote from: shark on April 12, 2011, 12:51:31 PM

No is the short answer.

Dermot is an army officer.

shark

Quote from: ross matt on April 12, 2011, 02:45:37 PM
Quote from: shark on April 12, 2011, 12:51:31 PM

No is the short answer.

Dermot is an army officer.

I meant no, it doesn't mess up his career prospects.

Donnellys Hollow

http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/04/14/earley-blow-for-lilies-as-kildare-lose-to-tyrone/

It looks like Dermot Earley jnr is going to struggle to make yet another come back from injury. It's such a shame his career has been blighted by serious injuries and it is testament to the sort of man he is that he always kept coming back for more. 2009 is probably the only year since the Leinster title in 2000 that he has been injury and illness free. He owes Kildare people nothing but if he doesn't return to the playing field I'm sure he'll be involved in Kildare football in some capacity.