Dermot Earley

Started by Jinxy, April 09, 2011, 02:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on April 15, 2013, 07:27:08 PM
http://www.kildare-nationalist.ie/2013/04/14/earley-blow-for-lilies-as-kildare-lose-to-tyrone/

It looks like Dermot Earley jnr is going to struggle to make yet another come back from injury. It's such a shame his career has been blighted by serious injuries and it is testament to the sort of man he is that he always kept coming back for more. 2009 is probably the only year since the Leinster title in 2000 that he has been injury and illness free. He owes Kildare people nothing but if he doesn't return to the playing field I'm sure he'll be involved in Kildare football in some capacity.

So hard to read. Dermot Jr. had a lot to do to live up to the name his parents gave him but boy did he ever do it and then some. I remember talking to him back when the Dermot Earley Memorial was being unveiled in Gorthaganny in August 2011 and he said he was only hoping the knee would improve, making no bold predictions; you could tell it had him a wee bit down.

I remember the day the knee went in 2010 because I was with my dad in the Davin Stand and he had been almost as excited to see Dermot Jr. play as he was to watch Roscommon play in our AIQF. To say it was sad to see him down on the ground so soon after the throw in was an understatement.

Hopefully he keeps at it and the back rehab goes well because the worst thing would be to let an injury rob you of going out on your own terms.

Best wishes Dermot.

commonman

very well said syferus

orangeman

Some player.

But then again, he is made of stern stuff.

No accident that he was the player he was.

Rudi

Quote from: ross4life on April 09, 2011, 06:52:32 PM
At 32 & all the injuries Dermot has got over the years most would just give it up but knowing Mr Earley he'll be back for one final run.

He was born July '78, so he will be 35 in summer. Good player awful pity he was so injury prone.

heffo

Genuinely hope he can go out on his own terms and get the send off he deserves this summer

Declan

QuoteGenuinely hope he can go out on his own terms and get the send off he deserves this summer
+1

Dinny Breen

Sorry lads but had lunch with a mutual friend on Friday looks like this definitely the end for Dermot . Will wait till he officially announces it though.
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 15, 2013, 10:43:49 PM
Sorry lads but had lunch with a mutual friend on Friday looks like this definitely the end for Dermot . Will wait till he officially announces it though.
with the inj he has suffered I had said two years ago that he wont be back. his body could never take any more of that unless he gets robotic implants

Donnellys Hollow

I saw him around town recently and he's still positive and upbeat despite it all - typical Earley. It will be a real pity if he can't even wind down with Sarsfields for a year or two but his long term health should be the priority.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Croí na hÉireann

Yeah, it'd be hard to see him coming back from this. A shame, hope he can still tog out for the club in the future. Any of the rest of us mortals would have given up years ago.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

Very sorry to hear this. Super player and a real giant of the game, trancending the mere sport in many ways. We can only hope against hope that we might see him gracing the fields again.

Ohtoohtobe

Crushed about this, I was home for the Dublin game this year and was very excited about the prospect he might play. I love what Dermot and his father stood for in terms of playing the game in an honourable way.

Btw, not to be snarky in any way, but any chance we could fix the spelling of his surname in the thread title?

ross4life

Quote from: Rudi on April 15, 2013, 09:29:40 PM
Quote from: ross4life on April 09, 2011, 06:52:32 PM
At 32 & all the injuries Dermot has got over the years most would just give it up but knowing Mr Earley he'll be back for one final run.

He was born July '78, so he will be 35 in summer. Good player awful pity he was so injury prone.

That would be right my post is over two years ago now. As matter of interest Frankie Dolan was also born in July 78.

If Dermot does calls time i wish him well. He gave it all on the football field shame he didn't have much luck with injuries.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Lar Naparka

I don't recall ever hearing or reading a derogatory comment about Dermot. Like his father before him, he has earned respect from those who played against him as well as those who played with him.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years