Previous topic - Next topic

spuds

"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Rufus T Firefly

Eh, did anyone else notice the Angelic Angel?      :o

sammymaguire

Quote from: Bingo on April 04, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
Cluxton went in late on McAteer, McAteer threw the head into Cluxton, Cluxton boxed him a swift left. No set up.

Thats what I've been told by a very reliable person and he said he'd have more for me tomorrow!

Cluxton does look pissed off

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulwa/5588489411/in/photostream/
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Gael85

Quote from: Tubberman on April 04, 2011, 07:56:03 PM
McAteer gave a bizzare interview on Off the Ball on Newstalk this evening.
To say he is not happy is a massive understatement. I honestly thought he was taking the piss and at the end they'd reveal it was all a bit of a joke.
He laid into Cluxton saying how he had form for this kind of thing, referencing the 'infamous' sending off in 2003 and saying how he 'probably cost Dublin the All-Ireland'.
Came across as a complete t**ser to be honest.

Can anyone find McAteer interview on Off the Ball on Newstalk? if he refering to Cluxton sending off in 2003 he must of googled Cluxton on the net :)

Rocky Mc Guigan

Fair play Cluxton-any man who decks a scouser deserves a pat on the back

Donnellys Hollow

There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Lily11

Cluxton's an idiot for hitting him. It doesn't matter what was going on between the 2 of them it's a charity match for god's sake.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: sammymaguire on April 04, 2011, 09:25:36 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 04, 2011, 05:24:21 PM
Cluxton went in late on McAteer, McAteer threw the head into Cluxton, Cluxton boxed him a swift left. No set up.

Thats what I've been told by a very reliable person and he said he'd have more for me tomorrow!

Cluxton does look pissed off

http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulwa/5588489411/in/photostream/

Going by that sequence of pictures on flickr it seems Cluxton cartwheeled away in delight after decking McAteer :D :D

Declan

QuoteMcAteer gave a bizzare interview on Off the Ball on Newstalk this evening.
To say he is not happy is a massive understatement. I honestly thought he was taking the piss and at the end they'd reveal it was all a bit of a joke.
He laid into Cluxton saying how he had form for this kind of thing, referencing the 'infamous' sending off in 2003 and saying how he 'probably cost Dublin the All-Ireland'.

Absolutley he came across as a needy, attention seeking has been. My initial thoughts on the incident was that lads it was a charity match cop yourselves on but having heard McAteer last night I have more sympathy for Cluxton

QuoteGoing by that sequence of pictures on flickr it seems Cluxton cartwheeled away in delight after decking McAteer
It does alright but it's Berno after scoring - maybe he should do that to goad a few lads later in the summer ;)

oakleafgael

Its no surprise to hear that McAteer got lamped. More or less the same thing happened last year when Liverpool Legends played a gather up of Derry City aul timers. He was at the "hold me back" before I get him criac. He got a smack for his bother that night as well.

ross matt

It should'nt happen in a charity match but to be fair to Cluxton he's an intelligent lad with a good job who has been at the top of his chosen sport for a considerable length of time. Contrast that with McAteer who's been  an attention seeking spice boy for most of career not to mention a wind up merchant extraordinaire (the Keane incident comes to mind). It must have taken alot of provocation for Cluxton to have reacted like that. At least he has'nt ran whinging to the media like McAteer. What the hell would he know about Cluxton's sending off with Dublin? A quick google I imagine. No sympathy for "Trigger".

However its regrettable that a charity might be in any way tarnished by this incident. Bernard Dunne in his current high media profile probably didnt help matters by tweeting a form of praise to Cluxton.

haranguerer

Quote from: ross matt on April 05, 2011, 11:00:43 AM
It should'nt happen in a charity match but to be fair to Cluxton he's an intelligent lad with a good job who has been at the top of his chosen sport for a considerable length of time. Contrast that with McAteer who's been  an attention seeking spice boy for most of career not to mention a wind up merchant extraordinaire (the Keane incident comes to mind).

I'm in cluxtons corner, but thats an absolutely ridiculous statement. He had a long career as a professional sportsman, and played at the highest level. That didnt happen by lumbering about on the piss winding people up

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Tubberman on April 04, 2011, 07:56:03 PM
McAteer gave a bizzare interview on Off the Ball on Newstalk this evening.

Have to agree with you tubberman christ mc ateer wouldn't last long in a  junior championship match  :D

FORMER Ireland international footballer Jason McAteer has said GAA star Stephen Cluxton should apologise to the organisers of a charity match for throwing a punch during a row between the pair.

Dublin goalkeeper Cluxton hit out at McAteer during a charity soccer match in aid of Autism Ireland at Morton Stadium in Santry, north Dublin, on Sunday.

Cluxton lined out for Darndale FC, while McAteer was playing for Liverpool/Manchester United Legends.

Cluxton threw a punch at McAteer, knocking the soccer player off balance. Reports said that McAteer was fouling Cluxton throughout the match. Both players were sent off.

But speaking yesterday, McAteer apportioned the majority of the blame on Cluxton, saying a "bit of competitiveness" was normal at a charity game but nobody expected "a punch to be thrown".

McAteer apologised for his part in the incident, adding that he was disappointed by some of the comments on the social networking site Twitter on the incident -- in particular those made by boxer Bernard Dunne.

"I am so disappointed and I would like to say sorry to the organisers who went to the effort of organising this charity game. There has been a lot of stuff on Twitter from Bernard Dunne about how Cluxton is a hard man," he said.

Cluxton's Dublin team-mate Bernard Brogan tweeted the picture with the title: 'Cluckinator droppin McAteer' and said to boxer Bernard Dunne, "you would of been proud of that left hook".

Dunne tweeted: "Heading to Clare to hide out as I hear 'left hook' Cluxton is looking for a new sparring partner."

But McAteer dismissed the punch, describing the incident as "handbags".

He added that the Dublin goalkeeper had a "history of getting sent off" -- referring to Cluxton's dismissal in the third round of the All-Ireland Qualifiers in 2003 against Armagh, with then manager Tommy Lyons blaming him for Dublin's defeat.

"We know Stephen has a history of getting sent off. He was sent off in the infamous incident where he let a lot of people down in Dublin and it probably cost him an All-Ireland. I just feel it was a stupid thing he did," he said.

He said the punch came "out of the blue" and was disappointing as a lot of people had "paid hard-earned cash to see the game".

Humility

McAteer said Cluxton, who had no comment to make on the incident, should apologise to the organisers.

"This is not about him being a hard man, he should show some humility and maybe apologise, rather than make out he is a hard man," he said.

Meanwhile, Clutxon's manager says the punch should not "overshadow the charity occasion the players were both supporting".

Speaking to the Irish Independent, Dublin manager Pat Gilroy said the incident "should be let lie".

"We shouldn't be losing sight of Autism Action. That's the important thing," Gilroy said.

Kevin Whelan of Autism Action said the incident "was one of those heat of the moment things".

Despite the drama, the event was a great success and 3,000 tickets at €10 each were sold.

- Fiona Ellis and Edel O'Connell

Irish Independent

Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Dinny Breen

The charity should arrange for the two lads to have a charity boxing night refereed by Bernard Dunne, with all this publicity they'd have no problems selling tickets.

#newbridgeornowhere